Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which are stronger backlinks and produce greater results in SERP for the same phrase?
1,000 comment backlinks from10 blogs 0 0%
1,000 signature links from 10 forums 0 0%
Both are equal 5 100.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th July 2008, 08:29 PM   #1
homebizseo.com
VIP Contributor

Lightbulb Which Are Stronger Backlinks From Blog vs Forum

Which are stronger backlinks and produce greater results in SERP for the same keyword phrase? All blogs and forums have the same page rank pr5 and all the same relative content. (Hybrid Toyota motors)

1,000 comment backlinks from10 blogs

1,000 signature links from 10 forums

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th July 2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

If everything else is completely equal, and the only difference is that one is a blog and the other a forum ... then they are equal. Being from a blog or forum (or anything else) isn't a factor in itself. A page is still a page, whether on a blog or forum. So a link from pages of each, will be equal if all other factors are equal.

Old 19th July 2008, 08:54 AM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

It would depend on the "power" of the individual blog or forum to start with. When you mention PR5, that might be what the toolbar indicates for the home page, but there are very few individual blog posts or forum threads that have that kind of PR on their own. Remember, sites don't have PR. Pages do. And since PR is based on the strength and number of links pointing to that page, it would have to be an exceedingly popular blog post or forum thread to garner that many incoming links to start with. (Not to mention that the toolbar PR is a terrible measure of the value of a page in the first place... )

And of course, all this assumes that the comment links are not no-followed and that spiders are allowed to see the signature links on the forums (which is not always the case -- on at least two forums where I'm active, the signature links are either obfuscated or entirely invisible to spiders).

If the comment links are no-followed and the forum signature links are not indexed, then of course the answer would be that they're both equal - in that neither one of them would do a bit of good.

And in both cases, the pages in question tend to slip further down in the site hierarchy as new blog posts and forum threads arise. As they slip deeper into the archives their value tends to decrease unless they're incredibly popular articles that gain a lot of direct inbound links (which the majority of blog and forum posts do not do).

IMO, getting 10 links from 10 high-quality pages that are visited regularly and consistently by my target customers -- and thus have the potential to bring me good traffic -- would be at least as useful (and a lot less work) than trying to accumulate thousands of blog comment or forum signature links.

My

--Torka

Old 2nd August 2008, 04:25 PM   #4
begemot

I think that both have relatively low value. But it is almost impossible to make measurable comparison. Ask Google!

begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 07:00 PM   #5
TryUsOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by begemot View Post
I think that both have relatively low value. But it is almost impossible to make measurable comparison. Ask Google!
Ask Google, lols

On topic, there are factors to consider SEO-wise:
1. Number of outgoing links on the page you leave your comment or post
2. Dofollow or nofollow attributes
3. Relevancy of the site
4. PR of the page your link would be placed
5. etc...

Traffic-wise - its how you participate and contribute to the discussion that would get your links clicked IMO.

TryUsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 12:45 AM   #6
Amar_001

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebizseo.com View Post
Which are stronger backlinks and produce greater results in SERP for the same keyword phrase? All blogs and forums have the same page rank pr5 and all the same relative content. (Hybrid Toyota motors)

1,000 comment backlinks from10 blogs

1,000 signature links from 10 forums
IF Blog link has do follow attribute then it is obviously great and if no follow attribute forum signature link will be good

Amar_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 05:54 AM   #7
onlinebillb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryUsOut View Post
Ask Google, lols

On topic, there are factors to consider SEO-wise:
1. Number of outgoing links on the page you leave your comment or post
2. Dofollow or nofollow attributes
3. Relevancy of the site
4. PR of the page your link would be placed
5. etc...

Traffic-wise - its how you participate and contribute to the discussion that would get your links clicked IMO.
I agree 100% with your last sentence, if you don't contribute valuable information to the conversation, you aren't going to get any results. Many people do the one-line "I disagree" or "I agree" and don't expand, and then wonder why they're not getting better results. If you don't have anything intelligent to add to the conversation, then people are going to think visiting your website is going to be a waste of time (and they're probably right in thinking that).

I do believe forum posting and blog posting to be equal as far as back linking is concerned, mainly because a page is a page, as long as the page you're linking from has content relevant to your website.

Last edited by onlinebillb; 12th August 2008 at 05:56 AM.
onlinebillb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 09:47 AM   #8
clubJWP

good question! blogs and forums both are equal, but it generally perceived that forums generally have most visitors and most of the forums dont need moderation, you can post easily (its just a perception). if a successful blog has equal no. visitors as a equal forum, then both are same
vik

clubJWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 10:27 PM   #9
roof cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by begemot View Post
Agreed, too easy to manipulate forums or blogs.
Google is really cracking down on forum backlinks lately.
Blogs are next it is said.
My Best advice ?
BUY an OLD URL related to your search term, if you can.

roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote