Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th August 2004, 01:30 PM   #1
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Default Staying Positive (but realisitic)

Hey all,
If you've read any of my posts you know that I just launched my first site about 3 weeks ago. In order to stay motivated, I was wondering when I should see results from my SEO attempts? How long did you all have to wait before you really started seeing steady traffic? I don't want to throw in the towel by any means, I would just like to know a rough time frame so I can know when I need to do more. Right now I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels, waiting to see what will happen - but I don't want to be sitting here idly if there's something I coudl be doing that would benefit the site's exposure. Any input, success stories, tips?

Thanks for everything already,

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th August 2004, 01:55 PM   #2
StupidScript
Administrator

While it is generally acknowledged that spiders are set loose every few weeks, and usually overlap with other spiders' rounds, it could be anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months before you start to see good algorithm positioning.

If your site proves to be valuable to those who visit at any time, you could see business pick up from then on regardless of positioning due to the many other factors that go into making a site a "success".

As an example, my brother asked me to put up a site to promote his book about quitting smoking. Popular topic, good info, good positioning after a several weeks, simple purchase/download process ... but never any sales. In that market, I guess, folks wanted the info so they were better-armed to quit smoking on their own, but were not willing to buy a book on the subject ... or at least not that particular book.

In a nutshell, when a site becomes a "success" is highly dependent on many outside forces and how well you exploit your connection to your audience, not just when the spiders grab you for their indexes.

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2004, 07:17 AM   #3
copywriter

My very first site took 4 months to realize good positioning. The last site I launched took more like a month. However, don't just sit there and hope for something to happen... get a move on!
  • Have you run any PPC ads?
    There are probably TONS of targted, small ezines you can run ads in for cheap.
    Are you working on getting viable links pointing back to your site?
    Have you written and submitted any articles to promote your site?
    Sent any press releases (if applicable) to announce the launch?
    Contacted your local media (if applicable) about interviews, etc?
    Are there any associations you can join, or are already a member of, that will allow you to announce the launch of your biz?

Contrary to popular belief, you can't just launch a site and sit back and enjoy the ride. Just like a brick and mortar biz, it takes work to succeed.

(As you can see from the above, I need to learn how to do a bullet list!)

Old 25th August 2004, 08:55 AM   #4
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Copywriter,
This submitting articles that you're talking about - are those articles specifically related to the launch of the site, or just articles about topics the site covers? I try and write a few per week about personal finances - where would I submit those?
I guess I shoudl try some PPC stuff - can't be too expensive. I will be putting up lots of fliers this evening around college student housing (one of my target markets) so I hope I can get a response from that.
Do you have any Ezines you recommend?

Thanks,

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2004, 09:03 AM   #5
copywriter

Quote:
are those articles specifically related to the launch of the site, or just articles about topics the site covers?
Articles on topics of interest to your audience that relate to what your site offers.

Quote:
where would I submit those?
To lists/sites that reach your audience. Ideamarketers.com is a very general one you can try. Also search the Web for "article submissions" and you'll likely find a lot. You might want to get more specific and search for "[your type of business] articles submissions."

Also, read this thread: http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...isplay.php?f=8

Quote:
Do you have any Ezines you recommend?
I wouldn't be able to choose ezines for your audience. You'd have to do that yourself. Take a look at http://www.ezinelocater.com. You can search their ezine directory for free (and you can even find ezines that accept guest articles, too).

Old 26th August 2004, 08:51 AM   #6
cjcunniff

Default Log Files

Are you monitoring your log files? You can usually see when a spider hits your site, and how your unique visitor traffic is changing shortly after that. You can also simply do a search for the keyword(s)/phrases you are optimizing for, and see where your page lands. Do that once a week or so, and you will, hopefully, start to see your site show up, and then see your site start to move up in the rankings.

One other little tip I have picked up is to use an on-site search engine. If you have your site set up to track what is being searched for within your site, it will give you a great idea of what your actual target audience is looking for. But it will also let you know what your audience isn't finding. Which will give you a great idea of what you can do to increase the popularity of your site.

Hope that helps.

CJ Cunniff
letourneau christian university in texas

cjcunniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2004, 03:29 PM   #7
Daria Goetsch

Another way to build links is to submit your website to directories under your topic area, or find directories devoted specifically to your topic and submit your website.

Here's a brief list of some places you may want to check out to submit articles to. Look for the category your articles fit into, then submit. As Karon said, search in the search engines for more places to submit. Link building will definitely keep you busy while waiting for your SEO to kick in.

EZinearticles.com (submit articles)
http://www.ezinearticles.com/

ArticleCity (submit articles)
http://www.articlecity.com/

World Wide Information Outlet (submit articles)
http://www.certificate.net/wwio/

Marketing Seek (submit articles)
http://www.marketing-seek.com/articles/index.shtml

BPubs (submit articles)
http://www.bpubs.com/

Daria Goetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 06:33 PM   #8
Boomer

Jesse,

I think we've all learned that you can always "do more". It's not a question of when you should do more, SEO is an ongoing process. Even those sites in the top spot for their keywords are continually learning new things and working hard to stay ahead.

On top of making sure you're using best practices for your site architecture, your keyword density, your alt text, your meta info, etc., adding links and learning the latest SEO tricks are essential to your ranking. You can be sure most of your competitors are doing it.

I'm not only concerned with the traffic, but also the conversion of that traffic into users/customers/prospects. Then, of course, the ongoing communications with them.

Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 08:19 AM   #9
T.I.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria Goetsch View Post
Another way to build links is to submit your website to directories under your topic area, or find directories devoted specifically to your topic and submit your website.

Here's a brief list of some places you may want to check out to submit articles to. Look for the category your articles fit into, then submit. As Karon said, search in the search engines for more places to submit. Link building will definitely keep you busy while waiting for your SEO to kick in.

EZinearticles.com (submit articles)
http://www.ezinearticles.com/

ArticleCity (submit articles)
http://www.articlecity.com/

World Wide Information Outlet (submit articles)
http://www.certificate.net/wwio/

Marketing Seek (submit articles)
http://www.marketing-seek.com/articles/index.shtml

BPubs (submit articles)
http://www.bpubs.com/

Some great links here. Thanks.

T.I.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 09:42 AM   #10
chesa7

I found a great site that "grades" your site from a marketing effectiveness perspective. The report it generates is quite comprehensive and it will be helpful to you in terms of focusing your efforts on continuous improvement. good luck.
www.websitegrader.com

Laura

chesa7 is offline   Reply With Quote