Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th April 2008, 07:32 AM   #1
Harrymurad

Send a message via Skype™ to Harrymurad
Default On-page Optimisation

I have read lots on On-Page Optimisation,but exactly how much effort should you really put into it, isn't link building the only real way to go.

Harrymurad is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th April 2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Link building is important, but you are missing a lot if you are not working on your on page optimization as well. I'll give you that there are limits when it comes to the attributes on a page. It is not a matter of constantly tweaking your title tags and headings. But instead consider expanding the keywords you are targeting. When you consider the long tail of keyword research and creating additional content to optimize for, I believe this can be as important ... if not more important than link building. In my opinion, after time also link building's impact is not as great as you have more. Keyword optimization for longtail keywords is never ending, at least based on my experiences - and thus more important than link building. Although both are necessary to some degree.

Old 4th April 2008, 08:21 PM   #3
RobAde

Default Content

as they say content is king, get your websites content targeted to the keywords you desire then worry about links.

RobAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 10:02 PM   #4
Limozine

On-page factors account for roughly 50% of your ranking in search engines. Off-page factors, including inbound links, account for the other 50%.

Old 6th April 2008, 10:09 AM   #5
RayGoneFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limozine View Post
On-page factors account for roughly 50% of your ranking in search engines. Off-page factors, including inbound links, account for the other 50%.
Interesting theory. Care to explain how you arrived at those numbers?

RayGoneFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 03:33 PM   #6
mitchell0327

Send a message via Yahoo to mitchell0327 Send a message via Skype™ to mitchell0327

In my experience it's been a mix of both. I think like a few people have said you don't have to update your keywords everyday, but I you should make a check list of new content added to your site. Then after a few weeks go back in update and add in any new keywords that maybe relevant with your site. I feel like link building is something that can be done more often.

mitchell0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 01:19 AM   #7
homebizseo.com
VIP Contributor

Onsite Optimization and offsite Optimization are equally important. Content is the key. Longtail keywords are important....however, keep in mind you are writing for a human 1st. Link building is believed by most SEO (experts) to be the #1 factor in search engine rank.

Old 8th April 2008, 08:29 AM   #8
calevans
VIP Contributor

Send a message via AIM to calevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limozine View Post
I've got to disagree with you here, especially when it come to Google. Google is doing it's best to make sure that, other than relevant content, there is very little on-page that you can do.

IMHO,
=C=

Last edited by calevans; 8th April 2008 at 08:32 AM.
calevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 10:23 AM   #9
Lisa-BFWM

Once you have done your initial optimization you can over tweak and analyzing.
From my experience having page rank (by getting backlinks) helps with the more difficult to rank for keywords, for exampe if you are floris competitive keywords are " send flowers" . Getting backlinks with those keywords in anchor text will help ( hint try an use 2 sets of keywords in your title/ anchor text like " Online Florist- Send Flowers Worldwide "

You might get 20% of your traffic from the sought after terms terms "send flowers" or "online florist" if you rank well in search results.

You will also get about 80% of your traffic for other terms you have never even heard of or are less competitive strings ; i.e. " send thanksgiving flowers, order white Christmas arrangements, Oregon funeral flowers, and so on.

I cannot recommend highly enough adding new content. Without a doubt the best way to do this is with a CMS or blog. Blog can be used as a "news source" for your product or service an not necessarily as a journal- think of it as an easy search engine friendly way t publish content, . Every post will contain potential strings of keywords. Every post will give your other pages more " weight" and credibility. A site with 5 pages about flowers vs. site with 500 pages about flowers.
The best way to get higher rankings and more traffic almost instantly over optimizing your site is to install a blog and post content at least 2-3 times a week.
Lisa

http://twitter.com/LisaStewart

Lisa-BFWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 07:34 PM   #10
AllenSchmid

I would say that content is king, links are necessary, and further more that minimal amounts of code on your page is prudent.

Your Content / Code Ratio should yeild more content than code. Keeping in mind that Flash and javascript based generated stuff (Ajax included) is not really seen by search spiders.

keep it clean, valid, and minimal, and you should be good to go.

AllenSchmid is offline   Reply With Quote