Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th March 2008, 08:30 AM   #1
smapes27

Default Game Plan For Increasing Rank

Hey...

I've been searching through some of the threads and, quite frankly, my head is spinning like a butterfly in a tornado. So, if you would, let me know if the couple of things I've gleaned are worth doing.

1. Search the links from the top page holders for custom dog clothes. Compare them. Then try to get reciprocal links for those that crop up on the sites.
2. Figure out how to write an article and where to post it. (BTW...most any article I write would have to be humorous as I am NOT really all that knowledgeable about dogs other than "pet me, feed me, walk me". Would a humorous article make a good idea?)

Any help and ideas are very welcome!

smapes27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th March 2008, 09:19 AM   #2
babyjoy214

TO THE FORUMS..

Hi! I think posting humorous is fine, it would be fun reading it, but also you should add on a bit of content though, so it won't be just jokes..

Goodluck!!

-Joy

babyjoy214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smapes27 View Post
2. Figure out how to write an article and where to post it. (BTW...most any article I write would have to be humorous as I am NOT really all that knowledgeable about dogs other than "pet me, feed me, walk me". Would a humorous article make a good idea?)
As a humorous article, you could write a short story featuring dogs as the main characters, and draw extra attention to the clothes they're wearing. ("My name is Paws McGrunty, a private investigator on the upper west side. It was just another day in the office when this pekinese bombshell walks in, wearing this frilly low-cut satin number to die for. I could see that her lavender swede chocker was covering up some serous leash scars, and I said to myself, 'hold on to your doggie fedora, this is going to be a crazy day"...") You get the drift...

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

What about starting a blog with your own original commentary on other pet products, articles and web resources? Don't worry about being a great writer ... if you are interested in the subject matter and keep at it you will in effect create original, interesting content

Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 08:42 PM   #5
smapes27

Thanks for the great ideas Karri and Sporkman.

Sporkman..I'd love to hear the punch line...oh yeah...and if you knock the two middle ^^ from your spork...will you think you're Batman?!

Old 11th March 2008, 08:56 PM   #6
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Sporkman..I'd love to hear the punch line...
Heh, I'm afraid I've run out of creative steam on that one. But rest assured, no matter what happens at the end, every character will have looked great in their stylish doggie clothing.

Quote:
...and if you knock the two middle ^^ from your spork...will you think you're Batman?!
Well it would definitely throw me for a loop... Then for a split second I might suspect that the Joker is holding Robin hostage in that abandoned factory next to me (that friggin little weakling is always causing me such grief!)...

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 08:39 AM   #7
smapes27

Default too funny

Sporkman...you're too funny! I cracked up.

Well...after several days of trying to follow the advice to blog on dog products, the best thing that Wally could blog about had nothing to do with custom dog clothes. It ended up being a product review for a pooper scooper. The snow has melted and a winter's worth of doogy doo is now in evidence. The pooper scooper is wonderful! Unfortunately, it's supposed to snow again tonight-3" - 6"...and I could have waited a while before filling a bucket...

The good news is that I've moved up a page in google ranking for the last two days. The ironic news is that my kijiji post, which does not include the name Wally Dog Wear, is two slots above the WDW site.

Sigh...I'll go make some Easter clothing now...maybe a brightly colored dog dress in lightweight fabric...with a sherpa lining.

Old 20th March 2008, 01:13 PM   #8
rakwholesale

Default Somewhat off topic- but a few traffic building tips for you

Quote:
Sporkman...you're too funny! I cracked up.

Well...after several days of trying to follow the advice to blog on dog products, the best thing that Wally could blog about had nothing to do with custom dog clothes. It ended up being a product review for a pooper scooper. The snow has melted and a winter's worth of doogy doo is now in evidence. The pooper scooper is wonderful! Unfortunately, it's supposed to snow again tonight-3" - 6"...and I could have waited a while before filling a bucket...

The good news is that I've moved up a page in google ranking for the last two days. The ironic news is that my kijiji post, which does not include the name Wally Dog Wear, is two slots above the WDW site.

Sigh...I'll go make some Easter clothing now...maybe a brightly colored dog dress in lightweight fabric...with a sherpa lining.

I got a few tips for getting you more traffic - and hopefully getting you more orders once the traffic lands... these won't necessarily serve your higher rankings target, but more traffic is always good..

First off - do you participate in forums that deal with dogs, dog owners, dog lovers etc..? I don't mean to drive you away - here is a great place to learn and get backlinks, but not necessarily a place to advertise your product via networking and signature lines...

Secondly, I know that you offer a custom product, however, for the sake of getting more visitors interested - might you consider putting up listings in eBay of pre configured outfits ??? Since you would be offering a lower price on eBay (I'm assuming) and only a few options, your e-mail links & help page links won't violate eBay TOS of soliciting to purchase elsewhere etc.(to the best of my knowledge)

Thirdly - you might want to consider using Google Product Search for posting free product pages through out the Google network..

Last edited by rakwholesale; 20th March 2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo hell lol
rakwholesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 04:07 PM   #9
smapes27

Quote:
Since you would be offering a lower price on eBay (I'm assuming) and only a few options, your e-mail links & help page links won't violate eBay TOS of soliciting to purchase elsewhere etc.(to the best of my knowledge)
Thanks!

Will you explain what you mean about help page links and email links? I blog on ebay and occassionally offer items for auction. I don't use Wally Dog Wear anywhere in the ad and I thought it was illegal to put an email and web site into the postings other than one in ebay? It's been a long time since I read the TOS...)

Last edited by smapes27; 20th March 2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 20th March 2008, 04:20 PM   #10
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Last I checked (admittedly a few months ago) eBay didn't like links in the postings themselves. But since the postings tend to drop out after a relatively short period of time (auctions only last so long, after all) they're not really useful for link building.

On the other hand, I believe you can link to outside sites from your "about me" page, and you can link to your "about me" page from your auction postings. So you could put some text in your post to indicate that you do make custom items and invite people to visit your "about me" page to learn more... then on the "about me" page, give them some more info about the range of things you offer and link to your actual website where they can see for themselves.

But don't just take my word for it. You'll want to check the eBay TOS to make sure, of course. They've been changing a lot of things over there recently.

--Torka