Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th March 2008, 04:18 PM   #1
SophieP

Default Facebook Vs. MySpace For Biz

Facebook and MySpace seem like very similar social networking sites. I've noticed that people use both for promoting their businesses. Can someone explain the difference and why someone would use one over the other?

Thx,
Sophie

SophieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th March 2008, 09:07 PM   #2
lunartcorp

Hi Sophie,

Although I have an account in both sites, I use only Facebook to promote my business so I can tell you my opinion from that perspective only.

First at all, most of the people start connecting with old friends. It is something that you cannot avoid since you will receive invitations because they have your email or are looking for you with the friend finder utility. Sooner or later you will do the same until you feel that most of your friends have been found.

In the meantime, you can learn all the features: Creating Goups, Events, Pages, Causes, Advertising, Pay Per Click and Applications Adding (which is also an addictive and the most powerful way to promote your business).

To promote your business you can create a group. You may choose between creating a group for your company or for your business area. The difference is huge, a company-related group means that you created it to make business and a business-area-related group means that you are there to provide information and help. The business comes later when you establish a relation of trust with people in the group. Remeber that most of the people are in Facebook for fun not to make business.

Invite your contacts to join your group and ask them to invite their friends, which is a viral way to promote your group. Some others will join the group when they see that a friend of them joined the group. It appears on the news feed of their profiles

If you have events, create an event and invite your contacts. Join other groups related to your business and communicate them that you have a group where they can find good tips.

Join some other groups and participate. Write anything every day since any actions you take is communicated to your connections. They will see you every day and will want to know what you are doing.

You can also create a page and promote it. Although pages can also create posts, get members and some other things, people prefer to join groups more than pages.

The last one, but could be your first one, if you are developer or have someone who can do it for you, is to create an application. Create something fun that people want to join. You will be able to have their information if they allowed you, place AdSense and, of course, place your business on it. The application is distributed in a viral way because people invite others to join and then, you will have a community to market your business. Be sure to create something related to your business.

Remember that you are there for fun too so be carefull of becoming addict , because it is addictive!

Regards,

Jose Lozano

Old 6th March 2008, 09:49 PM   #3
SophieP

Jose,

Thanks much for that detailed explanation re Facebook. I got the feeling that MySpace attracts a younger crowd and Facebook a seemingly more mature one. I didn't know that groups were more attractive to others than pages, and that there were 2 different types of group characteristics (business promo vs informational).

Thanks again,
Sophie

SophieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 12:29 AM   #4
dbldee

Send a message via Skype™ to dbldee
Default Business and social networks

It might seem a contradiction in mixing business and pleasure and there may be a bias against businesses on social networks.
That appears to be changing though

Social networks can be great for promting your business, but it should be done cautiously.

My sig has a step-by-step plan for using the Social networks to promote your business.
It's a free download with some income opportunities.

The key as mentioned is to become a respected authority.

dbldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 08:03 AM   #5
veikoh

LinkedIn is business network, maybe ou should check it out.

veikoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 01:09 PM   #6
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I'm personally and professionally much more in favor of Facebook. Maybe it's because I'm a thirtysomething (and I think Facebook was designed with us 80s kids in mind ...) but I found MySpace to be a little on the seedy side for my liking. Then again, I never explored its potential in depth. Didn't really want to either. Too many junk requests. Too many weirdos. And not enough control over who is looking at your profile and who isn't. Facebook is just so darned easy to maintain (i.e. actually keep up to date), control and use in general. You can get personal while still controlling who sees what and I really like that. Plus people aren't constantly hitting you up for a 'relationship! LOL.

Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 02:32 PM   #7
Amir W.
VIP Contributor

MySpace seems to be for the younger crowd, Facebook is a bit more "mature" - late 20's, 30's and 40's, and LinkedIn is straight business networking with people of all ages.

I think a social site can be very effective for business networking, just as my kids' soccer games or birthday parties can lead to some good networking. the key is, it happens naturally in the flow of conversation and is genuine. Any business done from there will generally be quality, but it comes gradually.

Amir W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 04:17 PM   #8
bellapria

I would have to say that I agree, I like facebook better. I feel like it is easier to use and set up, and it targets an older crowd. Myspace is more difficult to use, and users as young as 11 seem to be perusing around the site...

bellapria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 12:09 PM   #9
MarketingMaven

I think LinkedIn is much more professional than either Facebook or Myspace, but if I had to choose one, I'd take Facebook. MySpace is filled with spammers and highly unprofessional, IMO.

MarketingMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 12:54 PM   #10
eSiddall

Default MySpace

Hello All,

I work for a marketing company called "Spongecell" and I would have to say that both MySpace and Facebook have their benifits when it comes to promoting your business. I have recieved positive feedback from both but if I had to chose one I guess I would go with MySpace. It seems like Myspace offers more of a business affiliated trend.

eSiddall is offline   Reply With Quote