Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th March 2008, 02:12 PM   #1
GreenerDaze

Default Think This Will Work?

I came up with an offline marketing idea for our website and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions before I go ahead and give it a try...

We sell environmental products and offer free delivery in our city. One of the items we sell is recycled toilet paper, and instead of delivering flyers in our area, I want to print up a label (on recycled paper of course) with our logo, website and some information about our company and why you should switch to recycled TP and stick it on the individually wrapped rolls of TP.

We would then pick a neighbourhood in our delivery area and drop off one roll of TP at each house (i.e. likely on the porch in front of the door).

I tend to rarely look at flyers and junk mail that gets delivered to our house and being "green" we didn't want to generate more waste but thought this idea may actually get peoples attention.

So I'm curious what people would think if you opened your door or came home from work and saw a roll of toilet paper sitting on your porch. Would you take the time to read the label to see where it came from? Would you be more likely to check out the website? And more importantly, would you actually use it? Or would it just go in the garbage? Would you be amused by this or irritated that someone would drop TP in front of your house?

I figure it'll cost us around 60-70 cents per house plus our time to deliver them, so we'll start with just a 100 or so houses to try it out.

Just wondering if there is any potential problems with this idea that I haven't considered.

GreenerDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th March 2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Rachel

Default Cool name by the way!

OK, so here's what I think (with some input from our senior forum resident Jennifer Laycock). We love the idea but think you need to "kick it up a notch" as Emeril would say. I definitely love getting samples, and I'm more likely to use them (and the coupon that's usually attached to them) if I can try it for free. One whole roll is definitely enough to give someone a good feel for if they like it or not. So, yes, I would most assuredly use it.
The only thing I questioned was the dropping off on the doorstep. I guess I feel like something is more official if it comes in direct mail. This is where Jen suggests making the wrapping funny, quirky, amusing somehow. Like playing off the idea of "TPing someone's house" but without the mess.
So I/we say go for it!
By the way, is your TP soft and absorbent?

Old 6th March 2008, 02:58 PM   #3
GreenerDaze

Thanks Rachel...I see what you mean about just dropping it on the doorstep. I'll look into the direct mail, but I'm not even sure Canada Post would deliver something that big, without charging a fortune.

Maybe I'll try to find some kind of paper bag that can be hung on the door handle with a message - we have to be careful to not use plastic packaging.

And actually, yeah...for recycled TP it's pretty darned soft. It's no "Charmin", but considering how much better it is for the environment it's worth giving up that little extra "cushioning"

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 6th March 2008, 03:00 PM   #4
GreenerDaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Like playing off the idea of "TPing someone's house" but without the mess.
Oh...and I REALLY like this idea!...gonna have to give this some thought.

Old 7th March 2008, 08:55 AM   #5
babyjoy214

Wink hello!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerDaze View Post
I see what you mean about just dropping it on the doorstep. I'll look into the direct mail, but I'm not even sure Canada Post would deliver something that big, without charging a fortune.
Leaving a TP in the doorstep would be irritating for me, I can't imagine.. hehe..
Anyways, direct mail i think would cost a lot don't you think? since you plan on leaving it to the doorstep before, why not leave it to the mailbox?

Goodluck!

babyjoy214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 02:18 PM   #6
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

At least in the USA, it's illegal to leave items in someone's mailbox if postage hasn't been paid on it. Before you consider that idea, you might want to check with Canada Post to see if they have similar rules.

Quote:
No part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.
Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7170806AABZ2A2

--Torka

Old 7th March 2008, 02:37 PM   #7
GreenerDaze

I'll have to check that out...however, if true, I'm gonna sue all those people constantly delivering things to my house!

Old 7th March 2008, 02:40 PM   #8
Logan
Administrator

It is true in the US. But, I believe it is different in Canada. Let us know if you can confirm things either way!

Old 7th March 2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Mike Johnson

I think this is a great idea!

I would drop off rolls at all of the small businesses also. They'll appreciate the delivery aspect of your business and it could be a new niche. They'll use more than individual households and might generate some good word-of-mouth marketing.

One thing, make sure it's dry the day that you start leaving toilet paper everywhere.

Mike Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 04:44 PM   #10
bayinghound

I was just going to mention the weather thing....a soggy roll of TP is not going to endear anyone.

But if someone delivered recycled TP in my area, I would totally be a customer. I think this is a great way to get the word out.

You could also include a few rolls of the specially packaged TP with existing customers and ask them to share with friends/family in the area. Some might just keep the free product, of course, but they might talk up your business even more than a lone roll of TP on the porch does.

bayinghound is offline   Reply With Quote