Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th February 2008, 06:30 AM   #1
presidiomba

Default What Are Your Thoughts About Green Business?

Hi all,
I'm a student at Presidio School of Management (working towards an MBA in sustainable business). We are currently developing a prototype for a new service serving the unique needs of small businesses to help them save money and go green. If you are interested, we would love hear your thoughts in our short 10-minute survey. All responses are anonymous. They survey closes Friday, March 6. Thank you for your kind consideration.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...FRBl_2bA_3d_3d

presidiomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th March 2008, 07:21 AM   #2
cbass1017

I applaud you for your efforts. Any way for business owners to find ways to save money by helping to save the environment is great news and something that is becoming more and more popular these days.

cbass1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 12:36 PM   #3
GreenerDaze

I think what you're working on is great. Generally going "green" and saving money aren't often spoken in the same breath. I think you're biggest challenge will be convincing small business that this can even be done. Just keep in mind small businesses tend to be much more price sensitive than larger corporations...and they can't really wait for a payback...the savings need to be almost instaneous.

GreenerDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Crimson Fox

New green businesses (not just 'not for profit') are now often getting funding grants from the government, so you may want to look into what your government is doing in those areas.

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 08:42 AM   #5
whitenoise

Pardon my cynicism - I applaud you attitude - but all governments are jumping on the bandwagon nowadays and using the whole green thing as just another, very convenient way, to impose more (stealth) tax upon us. It's all very insidious.

whitenoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 11:01 PM   #6
FHI Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenoise View Post
Pardon my cynicism - I applaud you attitude - but all governments are jumping on the bandwagon nowadays and using the whole green thing as just another, very convenient way, to impose more (stealth) tax upon us. It's all very insidious.
Please provides us with some details. I am aware of tax breaks and rebates for using green (energy efficient) products but I have not heard of any "stealth taxes" yet.

FHI Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 08:22 AM   #7
bayinghound

Do you read The Entrepreneurial Mind - http://forum.belmont.edu/cornwall/? He recently has written and commented on a number of articles about social and environmental entrepreneurship.

We started our business to give us a way to live our dream life and affect change in the world. We consider ourselves a 'triple bottom line' business and try to operate with concern for people, the planet, and profit. So far, this is working for us. So far we haven't found a resource for sharing with other small businesses doing the same, but we would be interested.

bayinghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 11:03 AM   #8
babyjoy214

I think it's nice helping with the environment, It's one way making the surrounding green and promoting for a world that makes it better to live in and helping small businesses save.. what would you get out of this? just wondering.. I like the idea..

babyjoy214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 06:58 AM   #9
EdvinMaximilian

Default Great Subject!

I was happy to learn that there is education in green business.

I am a windmill operator in Denmark and I am following closely what happens in this field. Denmark is a big exporter.

This business is growing some 20 % each year. I can see many possibilities for small business to enter in this field.

A great book to read is "Solar Economy" by Dr Hermann Scheer from Germany, which is also big in this field, e g solar panels. It really changed my understanding of this field totally.

A lot of people are interested in this field and global warming issues so it should be possible to create really good content sites - of course following good advice for website design.

Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss further.

I am sorry I did not see your post before March 6.

Best wishes

EdvinMaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 10:37 AM   #10
whitenoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHI Windows View Post
Please provides us with some details. I am aware of tax breaks and rebates for using green (energy efficient) products but I have not heard of any "stealth taxes" yet.
Nevermind tax "breaks", it about conjuring up ways taxing us MORE !! like being fined 50 for putting the wrong (small) piece of household waste in the wrong bin for instance. The (UK) government is doing its utmost to tax us off the road, towards public transport, for which they will not, and do not provide the infastructure. I live in a small country village (less than 500 people) near Oxford (UK). The government is proposing to build one (of 10) "Eco" towns of up to 20,000 houses right on our doorstep. This is green government plolicy is nuts. It's going crazy; it will destroy our village, surrounding neighbourhood & environment, wildlife etc etc.

PM me if you want any more thoughts etc...

sorry, rant over : /

whitenoise is offline   Reply With Quote