Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th January 2008, 07:20 PM   #1
BandE

Default Teacher Supply Store Seeking Help...

My best friend and I are both elementary teachers and although, we love our students, the "rat race" of administration, the state department, and No Child Left Behind have stressed us out and made us reevaluate our current employment. Since both of us hold a degree in Elementary Education we felt as though our employment opportunities were limited so we decided to make it work in our favor. Our community has no teacher supply store and the nearest is an hour away. Sooooo, we have decided to use our expertise in a business that we feel we can't go wong in...Educational Supply! Who knows what teachers want better than 2 Teachers.

In saying all that we know what we want to do but can't find out details on how to start! I know we must formulate a business plan but I would like some sort of IDEA of what goes into creating a Teacher Supply Store??? What is the upfront cost, how many publishers should we carry, what about Educational tradeshows, could we run it; after school on weekdays, open weekends, and all summer so one of us could keep our teaching job? These are just some of the questions that I would like to know before even writing a business plan. If someone who either has a business like this or who knows this venue could please help, we would be very appreciative!

Thanks so much-
BandE

BandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th January 2008, 07:51 PM   #2
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Start online and use drop shippers. No use investing in a brick and mortar store these days. Use your connections to begin your marketing. Start by spending hours researching what is out there in terms of products and competition. Your experience (x2) will allow you to choose perfect product lines. Put seminars onto video tape. Put 30 second free "teasers" on your website to get other teachers thinking. Target efficiency. Make life easier for the teachers out there. Start a blog about what you teachers go through to start building attention.

Spend your dollars on a good e-commerce design. You have a great marketing pitch of "for teachers, by teachers". I think the idea is an awesome one. Two thumbs up on a potentially great business.

The SBA site is also a great starting point. http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplan...lan/index.html

You could easily build links from .edu sites and that will help you rank quickly. Good luck!

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 09:07 AM   #3
NSSEA_BDM

Default Help is here

BandE,

I am the Business Development Manager for the National School Supply and Equipment Association (NSSEA). We provide the largest educational products tradeshow for retailers. We have a Knowledge Bank on our website to help you get started. (www.nssea.org)

Feel free to contact for some advice and information about our tradeshows.

Adam
Adam Henderson
NSSEA
Business Development Manager

NSSEA_BDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 05:45 PM   #4
BandE

Adam-
Thank you for your response and appreciate the link.
Sincerely,
BandE

Old 12th February 2008, 07:47 PM   #5
ljai

Default Same idea

BandE

I'm interested in opening a teacher's store as well. I tried to email you directly, but I haven't been able to. I would like to talk to you about your business. Maybe we can help each other.

You didn't mention where you are located, but I have 3 stores in my area, so I won't be your competition.

ljai

ljai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 10:53 AM   #6
BandE

ljai-
I will try and email you so be looking for it. I will keep checking back to the posts so keep in touch and we can try and work together on this idea.

BandE

Old 21st July 2008, 07:28 PM   #7
maryelizabeth

BandE, I am currently in the same boat, but I have given up my job. I will have to find something in the mornings to help and get things started but I have no idea where to begin. Kim

maryelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 07:31 PM   #8
maryelizabeth

ljai, I also am interested in opening a teacher's supply store. I am teacher that has just recently hung up my hat. But would love to open a store. Please help me out and we could work together. Kim

maryelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 01:23 PM   #9
jmjones25

Just wondering how things worked out for BandE and ljai??? Starting to research opening an educational supply store in my area. How do you get started?

jmjones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 04:37 PM   #10
KAB

Default teacher supply store

My family relocated a few years ago due to husband's job. I had a great job teaching kindergarten. However, due to the fact that I have a Masters degree and 9 years of experience, I can not get the attention of any district in this area. It seems all newly hired teachers are right out of college. Yes, I understand it is all about the $. Anyway, I have turned my attention to opening a teacher supply store. I am wondering what it costs to get going, is it a profitable business, and any helpful hints. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

KAB is offline   Reply With Quote