Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th January 2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Natasha2005

Question Not Sure What To Do?

Hi All: My first visit back here in a long time. Because I have been busy (which is good) and am not busy now (which is bad).
Ok, our priimary business is seasonal, and shortages of work in the winter mean we end up in debt more and borrow more to make it.
We have huge health care costs, and not much payroll but we end up running out of tax money etc and we dont necessarily show good income all year long due to the seasonal thing.
We have a secondary business, selling product on the web, and it is doing well.
We increased our prices, no one complained. We had a new product added, to meet customer requests. So, we need to sell a lot of this product and it will help our income. We have hardly ever had to use the money back guarantee. No one returns our product hardly ever (maybe two in three years).
We have a web site, Ad Words, blogs and a couple people selling for us in other states. One local supplier put our stuff on Ebay and pays us for his supply. We need more marketing ideas. I know this product can go a long way. We tried trade magazine ads, and it wasnt worth the money or the people asking for free samples. We know we have a good thing, we know we can afford the overhead, we just need to sell more.
Can anyone offer any suggestions?
For reference, our first service is carpet cleaning (seasonal and terrible fuel expenses), our second is pet and problem odor removal product. All natural too, so I thought maybe playing up the "Green" thing?
Our web designer lets us edit our text, and marquee ads on the carpet cleaning business end of it, but that's all the access she gives us.
I started three blogs, and am trying to ping them and keep them fresh. I did fall behind on that this past year, due to some family illnesses and death in my hubby's family.
He has lost much of his ambition, after all the personal things going on. Picking up sales for our product would help morale all the way around.
thanks for any ideas.

Last edited by Natasha2005; 14th January 2008 at 04:40 PM.
Natasha2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th January 2008, 09:13 PM   #2
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

I feel your pain, Natasha, trust me, I do. My businesses are a deck restoration/pressure washing company, a distributor of deck cleaning and staining products, an ice cream parlor and a Curves ladies gym. If it wasn't for Curves, my finances would be completely feast or famine. I used to bash my head against the wall worrying about keeping employees year round and struggling with what I could do during the winter months. Now I lay everyone off and use the winter to travel, diversify holdings, explore businesses to buy, whatever. The two franchises run themselves. Its a slower pace and I have come to look forward to it. It comes down to an ability to budget. It's hard, I know. Its why you have to be sure, as a service contractor, that you're pricing is as high as your market will bear.

You may also want to pick up more commercial accounts as they are much less prone to seasonal changes. they pay less, but the work may be more steady.

Keep your chin up and keep working on that pet product website. One day it will all come together and you will be able to take a step back and breath. Good luck!

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 11:06 PM   #3
Natasha2005

Default Commercial is better........

Yes, commercial accounts have to clean.
We have two property manager accounts. Both have probably over 2000 houses they rent out combined, if not more.
We clean every time they have a move in, and quite often when they have a move out.
We get paid almost every other day from one of them, but only every thirty from the other. If we had one more such account, we would probably be in very good shape.
Residential customers are just not spending like they used to.
Thanks for the encouraging words.

Old 15th January 2008, 03:18 PM   #4
justgowithit

Affiliate program target toward complimentary businesses
- I don't mean post an affiliate link and hope for members; research, target and seek the best.

Look beyond carpets..... Does the product work on furniture, clothing, blankets/bedding? If so, there's a great affiliate base.
- Here's a thought.... How about the marine market. I have friends with nice boats that their pets sometimes use a bathrooms when on the lake. Will your product help on marine carpeting?

Cultivate user-contributed content to boost organic traffic.
- Product image galleries - "How I used ABC product"
- Did our product work? If so, tell us your story and we'll pay for shipping on your next order!

Old 15th January 2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Natasha2005

Unhappy Yep........

Our product does work as we say, just about anywhere.
We have used it or seen it used in laundry, kennels (concrete and dirt), dishwashers, restroom tile and numerous other places.
I dont have access to do the links--I think the web designer needs to do them? Since I dont work with codes?
We do have a few testimonials on the web site.
We also sell to local people in our same field, who dont consider us a conflict of interest.
We gotta do something.
We're getting too old to live on the edge like this!

Old 15th January 2008, 07:11 PM   #6
caseyturton

Default Other market niches

I'm sure you know your business better than I do, but some suggestions (since you asked):

Health Care. Hospitals. Nursing Homes.

Day Care Centers.

Markets sensitive to hygiene and infectious disease issues.

Become an "expert" on these issues.

Have local seminars of the "invitation only" type. Post schedule on web site.

Write articles about the environmental impact poor carpet maintenance can have. Put on website. Mail to administrators of these institutions.

Invite to your seminar. Give them free snacks and beverages. Keep it to the point and informative.

Well, just another idea. Not necessarily business pushed by the web, but your site could be the "registration point" where attendees log on and pay their fees via PayPal (if you don't have a shopping cart).

Good Luck. Peace and Prosperity.

Old 15th January 2008, 10:20 PM   #7
Natasha2005

Default Casey........

When we ran the ad in the carpet cleaning industry magazine, we did get building maintenance orders. We are still selling to at least one nursing home facility. We even had a hospital contracted in Canada.
We know what it can do, but we need to put money into the best place, because we dont have much money (but we sure have debts).
Also, we work out of our home, so we would have to rent a facility to have people in to see things.
We were going to do the dog and cat show at the local fairgrounds. That is something I should be looking into now. It's not that much to set up there.
We did try a trade show, but it was horrible. They didnt let people set up their table until the last day and last four hours of the show. We spent a lot to get there.
I think part of the problem is, my husband gets let down easy and maybe has a low image of his sales ability. Actually, he is a very very good salesperson but he has lost confidence.
Thanks for the ideas!

Old 16th January 2008, 06:27 AM   #8
justgowithit

Have you looked into marketing to consumers through veterinary associations?

Old 16th January 2008, 09:56 AM   #9
Natasha2005

Default Associations?

No, but we are in one vet's office and have done a pet store.

Old 16th January 2008, 12:25 PM   #10
justgowithit

Yeah, associations..... The AVMA(.org) has state chapters (avma.org/statevma/) all of which publish pamphlets and monthly literature.

Also, many of the state Associations list a "Business Alliance" section. If you're in one vet's office and they like you, why not think on a larger scale?

I may be way off - I'mjust trying to brainstorm with you....