Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th January 2008, 07:45 PM   #1
east2west
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to east2west
Default Why Would My Google Page Rank Go Down?

I checked my page rank today and its dropped from 2 to 1, why would this happen?

Thanks Jason

http://www.azattacks.com
east2west is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th January 2008, 02:05 PM   #2
mktgbiz

It's the great mystery of Google. Don't know how else to explain it. You can theorize to you are numb, but the reality is Google will never tell, maining you'll never know.

Should change back however.

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2008, 03:34 PM   #3
RayGoneFishing

It may or may not change back. A lot of websites have seen drops in their toolbar PR lately. If your position in the SERPs remains unchanged, don't worry about it.

RayGoneFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2008, 10:06 PM   #4
JDog

Quit wasting away your life on the little green bar.

JDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2008, 10:43 PM   #5
pete
VIP Contributor

Years ago Yahoo was the top dog in search engines and they sorted results in a reverse alpha-numberical order with numbers being first. So, taking a cue from the SEO wizards of the time I named a company 10001.

A week later they changed how they did things and I've been behind the curve ever since.

Google and Yahoo both have more money and more resoruces than we do, you are always reacting to a constantly changing process.

It's like the NFL, they want "parity", with no one person or company staying always at the top. They will continue to shake up their undisclosed rules forever.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2008, 11:31 PM   #6
east2west
VIP Contributor

I know google changes is aglorism allmost daily but dropping a site from PR 2 to 1 is crazy. Who knows what they are thinking and why, I just wish there was a guru out there that could explain everything to me about Google's ranking......sigh

Old 13th January 2008, 06:52 AM   #7
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr

I've never seen why people obsess about the PR. Surely what's important is where you rank when people search? Okay, so PR may (or may not) be part of the ranking algorithm, but so long as Google presents your page in the same place, why worry/

S

Old 13th January 2008, 11:36 AM   #8
RayGoneFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by east2west View Post
I know google changes is aglorism allmost daily but dropping a site from PR 2 to 1 is crazy.
Why? A drop from PR 2 to 1 is quite insignificant, really. It's a logarithmic scale and the steps at the bottom are not very high, that is there is not all that much of a difference between PR 1 and PR 2. A drop from, say, PR 7 to PR 6 would be much more significant -- if it happened in the real page rank, not the toolbar page rank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr View Post
I've never seen why people obsess about the PR. Surely what's important is where you rank when people search? Okay, so PR may (or may not) be part of the ranking algorithm, but so long as Google presents your page in the same place, why worry
Exactly. Google uses more than 200 different factors, or "signals" as they call it, to determine the ranking of a page. Page rank is just one of them.

It should also be noted that the PR you see on the toolbar is not the same as the PR Google uses internally. The toolbar PR is often based on months old data and should only be seen as a very very rough indication that a page is indexed at all and how many back links Google knows about. It's really no more than that, and certainly not a reason to pull your hair out.

RayGoneFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Logan
Administrator

Hi Jason, good to see you again

I agree with many of the comments, and in general they do apply. I even hesitate to post this because so, but let me take a couple minutes Jason and tell you one on one what "might" be the case based on your scenario. I only took about 5 minutes on this, so by no means do I think you should solely go by this - and truly as said, monitor your rankings, don't go by toolbar pr, etc. That said...

I did a quick search in yahoo for linkdomain:www.east2westconnections.biz. I then used the pull down menu to exclude any links from your own site. Looking through your backlinks I noticed the majority of your links were from this forum and DP. Based on this, I think the link popularity of the pages that contained your links may have changed. Actual PageRank is based on the links going to your page, and with a forum that link structure changes over time. Since these links are from awhile ago, and you haven't posted recently, if you go to each forum and look at the link structure the spider/google has to go through to get to your links ... I think you will realize that is a difference. I'm not saying the links are not any good, or are not valid - just saying with using a forum like this as an example ... the link structure of the page containing your link can change.

That may be the case or not, and someone in the same situation may have completely different circumstances. But hopefully it helps you Jason, and others will understand enough to gain a better grasp of why these are difficult scenarios to respond to.

Old 14th January 2008, 07:06 PM   #10
east2west
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Hi Jason, good to see you again

I agree with many of the comments, and in general they do apply. I even hesitate to post this because so, but let me take a couple minutes Jason and tell you one on one what "might" be the case based on your scenario. I only took about 5 minutes on this, so by no means do I think you should solely go by this - and truly as said, monitor your rankings, don't go by toolbar pr, etc. That said...

I did a quick search in yahoo for linkdomain:www.east2westconnections.biz. I then used the pull down menu to exclude any links from your own site. Looking through your backlinks I noticed the majority of your links were from this forum and DP. Based on this, I think the link popularity of the pages that contained your links may have changed. Actual PageRank is based on the links going to your page, and with a forum that link structure changes over time. Since these links are from awhile ago, and you haven't posted recently, if you go to each forum and look at the link structure the spider/google has to go through to get to your links ... I think you will realize that is a difference. I'm not saying the links are not any good, or are not valid - just saying with using a forum like this as an example ... the link structure of the page containing your link can change.

That may be the case or not, and someone in the same situation may have completely different circumstances. But hopefully it helps you Jason, and others will understand enough to gain a better grasp of why these are difficult scenarios to respond to.
Hey Chris!

Thanks for the help and all you did for me to get me this info. Sorry I havent been around for a while, but I have actually started a new business. I have opened a pool hall/game room here in China, so it has taken most of my time.

Since when I got the place it was bare bones, and I mean bare, only an electrical panel box, so I've had to go through the whole ordeal from scratch.

I've also restructured my trade company to only focus on jewelry and cloths, so I've been quite busy these past couple months. I'll be around a bit more now though.

Thanks again!!!

Jason

And to the other posters thank you for your help, but I can assure you Im not obsessed, just asking a question.