Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th November 2007, 09:19 PM   #1
JDog

Default Is Pay Per Post A Good Idea?

I am thinking about using pay per post to talk about some of my clients products.

I was wondering if anyone here has any prior experience using the site. If so, How were the results? What type of products/services were you promoting?

JDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th November 2007, 01:15 AM   #2
calvinc07

wow slow down buddy you actually want to pay people to talk about your clients product?
am going to tell you right now its a bad idea you know why, people who get payed to promote
something often have little to no knowledge about what they are promoting unless they are
good affiliate and are actually interested in the product. what i will tell you is that you
need reall testimonials about the products,people can spot a fake just like that now a days
so its best that the people you get to talk about the product are actually real.Plus is
these people post about your products they probably talk about other people product and
those might be your competitors. my advice is find a small group of people who are willing
to try the product, give it to them for free or at a discount price and all you ask in
demand is a testimonial. that way you will have real people talking about a real product they
had an opportunity to try and then not only will your ad be affective it will be honest.

Last edited by calvinc07; 17th November 2007 at 01:18 AM.
calvinc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 11:04 AM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I've read some discussions about this topic elsewhere recently as well.

My

Pay per post will probably work in the short run in terms of getting you some additional inbound links. Of course, Google is cracking down on paid links, so I wouldn't depend on this as a good long term strategy.

As far as getting actual human traffic, I could be wrong, but I don't see it working very well. Frankly most of the paid posts I've seen read more like excerpts from press releases and not like legitimate posts. They're really obvious.

If I were a regular reader of those blogs, I'd skip right over those in favor of their "real" posts. I've never actually followed a link from any of them, much less bought anything from the company that paid for the post.

But I've never tried it for myself or my company, so I can't speak from personal experience as to how it might or might not work. If you've got some money to spare, you could give it a try and see how it works for you. If it were me, I wouldn't make it a central strategy of my marketing, though.

--Torka

Old 18th November 2007, 06:03 PM   #4
JDog

Thank you both for your input. I wasn't planning on this being the focus of their marketing strategy. I know about Google's plight against paid links and I wasn't trying to gain PR with the campaign. I wanted to use this as another avenue to "spread the word" of their products. I thought it might be a way to get my clients product in front of the right audience.

Last edited by JDog; 18th November 2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 18th November 2007, 07:58 PM   #5
torka

There's at least an outside chance it could work for driving traffic -- if you pick the blogs carefully and make sure the bloggers write a "real" sounding post (and not just a regurgitated press release). On the other hand, there's a decent possibility it would be a waste of money.

Depends on whether there are blogs open to PPP targeting the people you want to reach, and how skilled those bloggers are at writing "real sounding" posts.

If you think it might be worth a try, test it first. Start small and track results before you commit a lot of time and/or money to the effort.

My

--Torka

Old 19th November 2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Wilks_eye
VIP Contributor

How much is the cost? Im sure it could help you in the beginning but its not a long term thing. Plus, what are the standards of PPP in terms of choosing their bloggers?

Wilks_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 12:36 PM   #7
JDog

The questions that both of you asked are the same one's I thought of. I signed up as an advertiser and as a blogger to see how it works on both sides.

Here's a quick run down...

1. I set the price that I want to pay i.e. $7 per post.
2. The offer sits on a market place until a blogger picks up the "offer". He writes the review. (I believe I get to review the article/blog prior to being charged for it)

The unfortunate thing is that I couldn't find a way to search by category on either side blogger/advertiser. They have categories attached to the blogs and offers but no way to search by it?

I don't think I will use this service until they break it up by category. Like you both mentioned the key is finding the right blog to have the product reviewed on and their system just isn't set up to do that yet. I am sure I'm not the only one that does not feel like digging through 267 offers to find one's related to my industry.

Last edited by JDog; 19th November 2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 20th November 2007, 12:40 PM   #8
torka

Another consideration...

According to this article from TechCrunch, it appears PPP bloggers may be finding their toolbar PageRank lowered by Google, similar to what's happened to other paid-link publishers recently.

I can't say for certain whether this reported TBPR lowering would actually result in lower rankings for the blogs in question. The article seems to say some bloggers have seen ranking effects, but most of the paid-post folks I've heard from who were "smacked down" don't seem to have seen any ranking effects as of the last time I checked. It's possible the PPP bloggers lost rankings and TBPR adjustment only coincidentally happened along about the same time, or that the lost rankings were just a temporary glitch or something.

Without knowing the details -- how far their TPBR dropped, how long ago it dropped, when the drop in rankings happened, what else the blog might have been doing that Google might not have liked, etc. -- it's hard to say for sure.

But at the very least it puts the bloggers on notice they've been identified and are in Google's sights. The TechCrunch article speculates -- reasonably, I think -- this may cause an exodus of many/most of the higher-quality (and/or higher-traffic) bloggers. (To be honest, I'm guessing most of the true cream of the crop weren't participating to start with, but you know what I mean...)

--Torka

Old 20th November 2007, 03:47 PM   #9
JDog

I hear ya Torka. I was reading the posts around the blogoshpere as well. I think I am over PPP at this point. Thank you for your responses.

Old 22nd November 2007, 12:13 PM   #10
Lincoln

Send a message via AIM to Lincoln Send a message via Yahoo to Lincoln

PPP is going to introduce a replacement for PageRank called RealRank. As an advertiser you'll be able to choose how much of the PPP marketplace you want to exclude (up to 90 percent, where only the Top 10% would qualify). RealRank is based on actual traffic metrics.

What it means is that PPP has become an experimental platform of sorts until the arrival of its eventual replacement, SocialSpark. SocialSpark will operate as a social media network for advertisers and publishers/bloggers, where you'll be able to read far more about a publisher, their background and particular niches, as well as evaluate their traffic metrics and their previous paid posts. In addition, SocialSpark will also offer newly designed splash pages as ad units.

In the meantime, what I would do is experiment by submitting a cheap advertising offer, then select any pagerank, any alexa score, but then set the bar for RealRank very high so that only 10 percent of the marketplace qualify. You may not get any takers if the price is too low, but you never know. If one does accept your offer you may be able to get some rough idea of how much value a Top 10% PPP blogger can offer in terms of product exposure and traffic.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Lincoln; 22nd November 2007 at 12:15 PM.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote