Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th November 2007, 10:54 AM   #1
Wayne O

Default Content Is King! Should It Be Changed Often?

Ok, so it has been written and said Content is King! But Should it be changed often? I have been reading alot about unique content and a high update frequency increases search engine traffic. I mean is Leading crawlers to fresh content super important? If so will it matter what or where the content comes from? It gets difficult to write new content weekly as their are so many other things to be doing in my company. Will finding articles and inserting them to the page still count as unique content? All i know now a days is that SEO makes me Tired lol.

Wayne O is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th November 2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Jaun22

I would say partly. I think something has to be said for the age of content but also the link ability of that content or page.

Jaun22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 12:14 PM   #3
theawristocrat

Send a message via Skype™ to theawristocrat

Depends on your content. If its a blog, yes.

theawristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 12:49 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Depends on whether you're talking about adding brand new content or whether you're talking about simply "tweaking" existing content to make it seem "fresh."

And whether you're doing this because it's good for your visitors or whether you're doing it just because you think it's good for SEO.

And on what kind of site it is (as mentioned, if it's a blog, you need to add at least something fairly regularly; a more static type of site, not so much.)

As long as your existing copy is still relevant and still converts well, there's no need to go tweaking it just to get the spiders to visit that page more often. Test to see if there's a more effective wording, yes, absolutely, and if you find new wording that results in more revenue for you, by all means make the change, pronto!

But tweaking just to make older content appear to be "fresh"? Waste of time, IMO. Being spidered more frequently doesn't mean you'll rank any higher.

When you look strictly at the words on the page, Google doesn't favor "fresh" content any more or less than "aged" content. What they prefer is high quality content.

As to adding new content, as long as your new content is useful and informative for your human visitors, by all means add it as often as you like. Anything that's done for the benefit of your human visitors (you know, the ones who -- unlike search engine spiders -- carry credit cards) is a good thing, IMO.

But there's no need to go adding "content for the sake of content" or worse yet, "content for the sake of SEO."

--Torka

Old 5th November 2007, 12:51 PM   #5
Crimson Fox

Not changed…but, added to.

Build on what you've already got. Changing content will throw your SEO ranking into flux. Adding to the content will help keep the SE bots coming but won't mess with what you've already accomplished with the content you have.

EDIT: looks like Torka just got in first. So let me clarify. Adding Content for the sake of having your site up to date on a search engine would be the point. If the spiders only visit every month or so anything topical you may be speaking about won't be indexed in time for it to be relevant to Searches.

Last edited by Crimson Fox; 5th November 2007 at 12:56 PM.
Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 06:31 PM   #6
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Good point by Torka and crimson Fox. There are old contents that are still useful to readers, so it has to stay to where it is (blog or website). And you might add some useful contents to these posts. But if you think that some of your contents isn't up to date or should be changed, then do so.

Old 6th November 2007, 07:14 AM   #7
Wilks_eye
VIP Contributor

Im with Torka on this one. "Tweaking" just for better stats is not really as productive as adding fresh content especiually when you are aiming for those unique business converting hits.

As another solution, you could get a personnel of yours to also add content to the blog.

Wilks_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 10:41 AM   #8
Wayne O

Well i was thinking about getting articles from a information/article site and just adding them to my site like once a week or so..Of course giveing credit and a back like to where i got it. I was Seeing if adding the content to my sites was ok for seo purpose as well as readers being able to get information from it. The crawlers might crawl more often and see that their is information going on the site and i should be seen more

Thanks for all the replies it helps a bunch

Old 7th November 2007, 12:42 PM   #9
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

In addition to not being the way to go, reposting articles (the owners will most likely NOT give you permission) Google may see those articles as duplicate content and you stand to gain nothing and possibly lose rank.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 12:48 PM   #10
Wayne O

Thats what i was wondering...Their are places that let you republish articles. The duplicate content is what i was really asking about. Cause its already out on the net but it is new content to my site so i didn't know how that would affect me