Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st October 2007, 05:11 PM   #11
IworkFromHOME

of course it is important but i believe the domain age start at the start up point of the biz. for example if new owner of the domain put new biz and content that it is totally different from content of the previous biz then the age of domain will start at that point. SE is trying to behave like human with common sense.

IworkFromHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th November 2007, 02:06 AM   #12
James Schramko

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk_tee View Post
I would think the other way round. If your website is meant to sell an eBook or digital info which has a 'shelf-life', I don't think it's practical to pay for the domain names few years ahead. After all, when your promotion or offer is over, you are not going to promote the same site anymore, or maybe you might just want to close that website.

It is also good practice if you are not sure your target market is profitable. By registering a domain for one year to test out the market first, if it is a profitable market to work on, you can then renew few years ahead. But don't do this when you are starting on the new niche market. By doing so, you are minimizing your start up cost.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Yukitee
For $8 a year - I'll stick with my 2 year policy. If the product does not work you can usually throw some re-written PLR content on a blog and flip the site for a profit.

James Schramko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2007, 10:05 PM   #13
Lisa-BFWM

Mark me down as yes, longer domain has existed and will exist is a factor.
Lisa

Lisa-BFWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 01:18 PM   #14
theawristocrat

Send a message via Skype™ to theawristocrat

I strongly believe they do! Just search in google and most of the n1 sites are aged domains.

theawristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 02:00 PM   #15
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theawristocrat View Post
I strongly believe they do! Just search in google and most of the n1 sites are aged domains.

Of course aged domains will rank better but reread what is being asked. Its will the number of years your site is registered for (ie, how long into the future did you pay for registration.. one year.. two years.. ten years?)

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 02:15 PM   #16
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Or you can always go for broke (literally) and register for 100 years with Network Solutions.

As Ken says, don't confuse cause and effect. Older domains will typically rank well because they've had time to build up more incoming links and develop more (presumably valuable) content.

But that doesn't mean a brand-new domain that was just registered for a multi-year term will get any kind of boost in the SE rankings simply because of having been registered for a multi-year term.

Given how cheap multi-year domain registration is (unless you're registering for 100 years at a pop ) I can't see how the SEs would reasonably give any significant weight to the length of registration term. If it carries weight, it's almost certainly got to be very slight at best.

Not sure how anyone would be able to prove it one way or the other, though.

--Torka

Old 6th November 2007, 11:11 AM   #17
Logan
Administrator

100 years of trust ... lol. Kidding aside, I think it is something that has changed over time. While I do not think the length of registration impacts rankings whether 10 years or 1 year, I do think it is one of many signals that google does look at it. I think if you are not doing anything sketchy, then the length of domain name registration is not a factor to be worried about. I think a more important issue might be to make sure you have autorenewal, etc in place so that you ensure you don't lose rights to the domain name registration. A site that does rank, is the first to go in the after market domain auctions and the toughest/costliest (usually) to get back.

Length of time the site has been in place, and more importantly to me ... the length of time other links have been pointing to the pages within the site play a role ... often correlated to domain name registration length - but a separate factor.

I give it zero weight

Old 15th November 2007, 07:21 AM   #18
amanda123

i think years the domain has been active is really important but along with it the content on the domain shud be updated regularly otherwise its of no use ...!!

amanda123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 12:43 PM   #19
Logan
Administrator

Does Registering Your Domain for Longer Periods Help You Rank Better?
By Jennifer Laycock - November 15, 2007

http://www.searchengineguide.com/jen...for-longer.php

Old 15th November 2007, 01:28 PM   #20
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

I agree with Jenifer's thoughts that it probably doesn't mean much. But then again, a part of me thinks that for an extra $40, why take the gamble? Of course I own maybe five domains that I am truly trying to rank for. Someone that owns a hundred would be rightfully wondering about ROI for spending an extra $4000.

If you think about it in those terms, a spammer may buy 500 domains a year. Now we are talking about $20,000 coming off the bottom line every year. Google may analyze that and give the added domain name registration time a slight boost. Who the heck knows?

Last edited by PressureProsInc; 15th November 2007 at 01:30 PM.
PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote