Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th October 2007, 12:40 AM   #1
Amir W.
VIP Contributor

Default # Of Years Domain Registered For Important?

I've heard this in the past - not sure if it's a myth or true -

Is it true that the number of years a domain is registered for is a factor in search engine ranking?

Amir W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th October 2007, 07:38 AM   #2
mktgbiz

The number of years a web site has been in existence, I feel is very, very important. And I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Search Engines place importance on that. It does make good common sense that a sight that has been around for a longer period of time, should at least stand a solid chance of ranking higher than a youger one with the same content.

As far as renewing a domain name? I'm not sure if renewing it for a longer period of time is vital or not. It would seem to make sense, even though I only renew mine for 2 years at a time.

Hope that helps..........

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 10:02 AM   #3
solid28
VIP Contributor

Thumbs up

The age of a domain is important. How important? I don't know. But the seo experts say it is.

The simple answer, think of a business. If it's been in business for 20 years, you probably trust it more.

Here's another simple reason for placing importance on domain age, that is specific to SEO/ranking in search engines.

There are a number of people who will buy a domain, and then immediately begin to employ overly aggressive SEO techniques (blackhat SEO). They do their best to manipulate search engine results with any number of techniques.

Search google for blackhat seo if you wanna know more.

So to combat those slash and burn style websites polluting the search engines, the domain age is taken into account. I guess the thinking is, the older the domain, the less likely they will suddenly employ short term gain aggresive seo tactics.

But what if you knew about the whole domain age thing, and decided to buy a whole bunch of domains, with the intention of slashing and burning them down the line...well that gets more complicated...but then you have incoming link age...etc......

Last edited by solid28; 14th October 2007 at 10:16 AM.
solid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 07:40 PM   #4
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

solid, I think he means on the other end.. ie. how many years ahead of time he pays for domain registration. I would say it may appear important but then again it is so simple to manipulate and Google is usually a bit tougher than that to crack. My SEO told me to register my domain for five years just in case.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 08:21 AM   #5
solid28
VIP Contributor

Thumbs up

Ohhh, got ya.

Old 18th October 2007, 10:57 PM   #6
sirronstuff

I tend to agree that it probably doesn't bear much weight right now, but it's not really worth taking a chance if it does. Registering the domain a few years out doens't cost much.

I can tell you I have competitors ahead of me in google that do not have domains registered more than a year in advance right now.

When I used this tool, it also said it was important, so I did it.

sirronstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 10:59 PM   #7
sirronstuff

I tend to agree that it probably doesn't bear much weight right now, but it's not really worth taking a chance if it does. Registering the domain a few years out doens't cost much.

I can tell you I have competitors ahead of me in google that do not have domains registered more than a year in advance right now.

When I used this site called websitegrader.com, it also said it was important, so I did it.

sirronstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 02:37 AM   #8
James Schramko

If you were a spammer you would only bother with a throw away one year domain.

Two years or more is a better bet for trust.

James Schramko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 02:19 AM   #9
lk_tee

I would think the other way round. If your website is meant to sell an eBook or digital info which has a 'shelf-life', I don't think it's practical to pay for the domain names few years ahead. After all, when your promotion or offer is over, you are not going to promote the same site anymore, or maybe you might just want to close that website.

It is also good practice if you are not sure your target market is profitable. By registering a domain for one year to test out the market first, if it is a profitable market to work on, you can then renew few years ahead. But don't do this when you are starting on the new niche market. By doing so, you are minimizing your start up cost.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Yukitee

lk_tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 10:43 AM   #10
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Yukitee,

I am not saying that I am convinced this (long length registration) is critical but I am going to take the high road of caution and spend the extra $25. Minimizing startup cost should also minimize risk and take into account ROI. Spending $25 on the possibility that it is important to ranking is a good bet, imo.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote