Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th August 2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default The Basics Of Starting A Blog

Some tips on getting started...

"WordPress is probably the most popular blogging software. There are very good reasons for this. It's free, pretty easy to use, lots of plugins and themes are available for it (more on these later), easy to make friendly to search engines, and many hosts offer one click installation of it."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...ng/009833.html

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st August 2007, 02:54 AM   #2
TheFiend

Default A BLOG by any other name ?

Hi - yes Wordpress is great - but I found a much simpler way was just to publish a new html page with each entry added each time I updated, sure - there was no immediate feedback like a BLOG - But as I was moderating my BLOG on a daily basis - the readers responses have been fantastic.

We have our regulars who email comments to me, which I turn around and post online - if I deem them appropriate.
And that is the major problem I have with Wordpress and other blogs.

Far Too Much flaming and the like when people do disagree, now while I understand that, that is the idea behind blogs and their public feedback system, as a business I found that the very idea of someone attacking my business in a public forum was something that I didn't want to deal with.

So, while I think that BLOGS are a fantastic medium - I would rather respond personally to an emailed flame attack, or ignore it, as the case maybe. The only way to do that was to take the BLOG offline - as it where, and post each entry as a web page.

To see what I mean, see our "Life In The Green Room" BLOG on our website

Old 21st August 2007, 05:44 AM   #3
_detz_
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFiend View Post
Hi - yes Wordpress is great - but I found a much simpler way was just to publish a new html page with each entry added each time I updated, sure - there was no immediate feedback like a BLOG - But as I was moderating my BLOG on a daily basis - the readers responses have been fantastic.

We have our regulars who email comments to me, which I turn around and post online - if I deem them appropriate.
And that is the major problem I have with Wordpress and other blogs.

Far Too Much flaming and the like when people do disagree, now while I understand that, that is the idea behind blogs and their public feedback system, as a business I found that the very idea of someone attacking my business in a public forum was something that I didn't want to deal with.

So, while I think that BLOGS are a fantastic medium - I would rather respond personally to an emailed flame attack, or ignore it, as the case maybe. The only way to do that was to take the BLOG offline - as it where, and post each entry as a web page.

To see what I mean, see our "Life In The Green Room" BLOG on our website
You can just shut off comments in the blogging software. Using someone like WordPress just makes the process quicker, plus it adds other features like tagging and searching(basic ones). If you have all of pages as HTML pages you don't have these options.

Comments are a great source for additional content and keywords for SE though. Did you ever think of having comments just moderating them like you're doing now? If there is something inappropriate just delete them.

http://www.invoicejournal.com - Invoice your customers for free.
_detz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 08:37 PM   #4
TheFiend

Default A Blog by Any Other Name - Part II

Thanks Linda - as of a couple of hours ago - I will now be able to use propper blogging software on the site (just upgraded - thank goodness).

The initial decision was made for cost reasons - but also for limit on storage, but Wordpress looks like me first choice - now I just have to find the time to dump everything over to it.
Thanks for the comments.

Old 30th August 2007, 10:20 AM   #5
FrankNBeans

I am kind of partial to Blogger myself, but they are both super user-friendly.

FrankNBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 05:06 PM   #6
bob123

Using proper blogging software is crucial because it gives you the ability to publish RSS feeds, takes care of all the navigation etc. You can instantly change the layout. I think you're crazy for posting .html files each day. But well done for managing to do it. I couldn't

bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 09:54 PM   #7
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Thanks for sharing this one, Linda! At least, everyone will know the good ways of starting a blog, make it SEO friendly - not just write a blog.

Old 23rd September 2007, 10:49 PM   #8
minphat

I have to agree that "wordpress" is the best blogging software out there and very user friendly!

minphat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 04:31 PM   #9
Soapin'Angela

I love wordpress too. If you don't want spam I would use the Askimet plugin that comes with Wordpress OR get Spam Karma 2. I love SK because it never lets any spam though, I"m not sure how well askimet works. You can set up your comments so that they never show up unless you approve them as well.

And of course if someone posts something you don't agree with or want on your blog you can always delete it if it does get through.

Old 27th September 2007, 10:51 AM   #10
Wilks_eye
VIP Contributor

Wow. so its wordpress over blogger for most of us? Are there any other third choices that can work too?

Wilks_eye is offline   Reply With Quote