Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th August 2007, 09:31 AM   #1
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Exclamation 5 Reasons Why I Think DMOZ Is Irrelevant

Last June I submitted my website to DMOZ. My site was never added to the directory, so a few months ago, I decided to do some investigating. This is what I discovered:

1. I talked to two DMOZ volunteer editors and was told that it can take up to two years or more to get a web site approved and listed on DMOZ.

2. Many qualified web sites are rejected simply because the category editor considers them competition to his or her own site.

3. It's standard practice that if you e-mail DMOZ about the status of your web site, you will not receive a courtesy response to your e-mail.

4. A DMOZ editor told me that some category editors even fight among themselves to have their own web sites listed ahead of other submissions.

5. With thousands and thousands of web sites in the pipeline waiting to be approved and listed, there's no way that understaffed and overworked DMOZ editors can possibly catch up.

Its been several months since I last communicated with a DMOZ editor. Do you have any new information about DMOZ?

Have any of you tried to submit your website to DMOZ? What was your experience?

Personally, after everything I've learned, I no longer consider DMOZ relevant anymore. Do you?

Dale King

Last edited by Dale King; 18th August 2007 at 02:28 PM.
Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th August 2007, 12:02 PM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I have not seen one web site that I submitted included in DMOZ this year. Until Netscape makes a smart move and sells the directory so that the person/company that buys it can monetize it, I don't see anything changing.

And if I were to buy it, the very first thing I'd do is to get rid of every current editor... every single one of them.

Old 18th August 2007, 01:58 PM   #3
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Quote:
David Wallace wrote:

And if I were to buy it, the very first thing I'd do is to get rid of every current editor... every single one of them.
Here, here!

Old 19th August 2007, 08:17 AM   #4
mktgbiz

I never thought DMOZ was worth it, so I never listed any of my sites with them.........now I am confirmed in my actions!

Thanks!!

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2007, 10:14 PM   #5
Logan
Administrator

Okay, I give Dale ... I'm changing my stance. Its worthless.

My experiences are similar to David's. Not much else to report.

So ... if we're going to wipe dmoz off the slate, let me ask you what free directory is worthwhile. Not an easy question to answer any more, which may be the tipping point of any free directory. Are the others providing better results for free listings? If so which ones. Let's see.

DMOZ.org: see above

About.com: I think this one may be worthwhile, although not really a directory of sorts anymore. More a blog, go to your most relevant topics (local, categories) and find the editor. From there you can contact them, usually finding a human on the other end ... that may be interested in youir site if it is 'blog worthy'.

Gimpsy: They have a free submit. Have for awhile, and they are so backed up based on my observations this year you are unlikely even to be able to submit there.

Quote:
Free Submission is currently suspended
We are sorry, but the Free Submission option is currently suspended due to work overload. The growing popularity of Gimpsy has prompted a huge surge in free submissions to the directory. We now have many thousands of sites waiting in the queue. It will take us months to go through them all.
Nothing wrong with that, but their free submission isn't anymore relevant than the others for this entire year. Lets see who's next.

www.01webdirectory.com: I submitted freelinks.com using their free submittal on January 22, 2007. Congrats to 01webdirectory as I just did a quick check and they have listed the site under the Internet Marketing category. 3 to 6 months.

,,, any others worthwhile when it comes to 'free directories'?

Old 20th August 2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Logan wrote:

So ... if we're going to wipe dmoz off the slate, let me ask you what free directory is worthwhile.
That's a great question, Logan. Personally, if I were building a new website today, considering the myriad of problems that DMOZ is having, I would bite the bullet and pay Yahoo $299 annually for a listing in its paid directory. In fact, that's exactly what I plan on doing with my next website. Here are 6 reasons why:

1. The Yahoo Directory is the most powerful paid directory on the Internet.

2. Yahoo guarantees to review your site within 7 days of submission.

3. While there's no guarantee of approval, if you follow Yahoo's guidelines carefully, your site will more than likely be approved and listed...providing of course, your site is a legitimate business website. By the way, whether your website is approved or not, the $299 fee is non-refundable.

4. If your site is brand new, you have the advantage of obtaining significant web exposure much faster, as opposed to just waiting for your organic rankings to kick in.

5. Google places a great deal of weight on having a backlink from an industry-specific listing in Yahoo's directory, which has an "off-the-charts" page rank of 8.

6. Once your site is approved, it will be featured in the "What's New" category of the directory which can send a good amount of traffic to your site, as well as give your site a nice little boost in the search engines.

Although Google is still the world's most popular search engine, Yahoo is still widely used worldwide. Why? Several reasons: Its webmail progam, its popular IM program, RSS feed reader, and many other bells and whistles it offers keep people coming back to search Yahoo for their personal and business needs again and again.

Dale King

Last edited by Dale King; 20th August 2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 20th August 2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Logan
Administrator

Sure, I agree Yahoo has a good directory. But that is hardly free.

Is the free directory listing dead?

Old 20th August 2007, 10:40 AM   #8
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Logan wrote:

Sure, I agree Yahoo has a good directory. But that is hardly free.

Is the free directory listing dead?
Logan, granted Yahoo's directory isn't free. But if you take DMOZ out of the equation, it's a great second option.

Are free directory listings dead? I wouldn't go quite so far as to say they're dead, but other than DMOZ, I haven't discovered any that has anywhere near the respect, traffic or SEO advantages of Yahoo.

Have you?

Dale King

Last edited by Dale King; 20th August 2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 20th August 2007, 11:59 AM   #9
Logan
Administrator

I'd have a tough time coming up with one more worthwhile than yahoo as well, I guess I'd put in second place maybe business.com. The catch is it must be a B2B site, and if not you'll lose your directory fee paid for the review.

Old 20th August 2007, 01:20 PM   #10
_detz_
VIP Contributor

My site was added in about five months. I actually forgot about it until I check GA one day and noticed some hits from them. I went over and checked it out and sure enough it's on there. I haven't really noticed any more traffic because of it though.

http://www.invoicejournal.com - Invoice your customers for free.
_detz_ is offline   Reply With Quote