Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th August 2007, 05:38 PM   #11
vamseea

Default Don't do it....

My advise - don't do it. The concept looks great but it is not worth the money - at least for liquor stores.

I started marketing with both register tapes (Safeway) and register network (King Soopers) about a year back. Final judgement - not worth it.

Here's the logic:

1. You lose money on your regulars - they already know about your store and all they do is get a discount.
2. You need to attract a whole bunch of new customers every month to pay for the cost of marketing and the loss you incur with respect to your regulars. In my liquor store I get about 10 new people in a month may be and they do not buy enough to pay for the $250+ Register tape/network charge and the regulars who bring it.

When I saw the big number of how people shop at the a big store like Safeway and Kingsooper - I told myself that even if 5% stop by it is a huge number. But after experience I realized that you will not get more than 0.001%. You cannot even run a huge deal because it runs for a ridiculous 3 month duration. Not just a weekend.

vamseea is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th August 2007, 02:16 AM   #12
crash
VIP Contributor

We used RTN for our brick and mortar a couple years ago - overall we were happy with it. We definitely got business from it. I do think that many ignore the back of the tape but if your ad is well thought out and eye catching - and the program is right for the business - it can be worth it.

And, seriously, anyone not proofing a print ad before it prints... that's just not smart. We delt with print ad's from RTN to Phone to Local flyers and inserts - Nothing got printed without at least 2 written approval proofs. Most of the companies we delt with had reps that brought the artwork to us for correction / proof approval prior to printing. That's just smart business.

Never assume

crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2007, 02:21 AM   #13
crash
VIP Contributor

Quote:
1. You lose money on your regulars - they already know about your store and all they do is get a discount.
If you word the ad so that it applies to new customers only then this loss is negated.
Quote:
2. You need to attract a whole bunch of new customers every month to pay for the cost of marketing and the loss you incur with respect to your regulars. In my liquor store I get about 10 new people in a month may be and they do not buy enough to pay for the $250+ Register tape/network charge and the regulars who bring it.
Again, it's not for all businesses. Any business looking to utilize this type of advertising needs to really evaluate it's worth to them and their target audience. Our business was perfect as we built a specific customer base and those customers were tracked, an option not readily available for a liquor store. However a local PC service would most likely have and maintain a customer database, especially for consultation to track service and history, so it could very well be useful for them.

crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 10:26 PM   #14
Register Tape

Default Register Tape Advertising

I've been with RTN for 8 years now and my renewal rate is approaching 96%.
There must be something working. These are smart businesspeople.

I do want to say that there are some categories that work better than other categories. Actually, the categories are divided up into two areas. The first is the "gotta have now". These are the fast food, the oil change, the car wash, the cleaners, the hair-nail-tanning salons.

The other is what I call the "fishing businesses". These are businesses like plumbers, electricians, doctors, dentists, computer repair, home construction, handy man, real estate and other businesses that have to wait for the potential customer to need their service or product.

The first category does extremely well, The second category does well ONLY if they can wait until some customers finally need their service or product.

Of all of my customers, the vast majority are in the first category. If anyone is interested in what works or what does not work when using register tape advertising, e-mail me and I will give you my best advise - no charge.

On the matter of whether many people look at the ads on the register tape receipts, who cares if even a large percentage of people do not look at the ads. If everyone looked at the ad, you would be a zillionaire. And that's just not realistic. When you mail your ads, do you expect to get 50% return?
No Way!!! Anyone would be happy with 2% to 3%. So why would you expect more from register tape advertising receipts??? But you just get great results from placing an ad on the register tape.

The one thing that register tape advertising does that separates it form every other form of advertising is the repeat impressions. Most people that read the ads will see it from 100 to 200 times per year. WOW!!! That's a great number of impressions. If your product or service is going to be accepted by the public, then 100 to 200 impressions will make your product or service stand out above the crowd.

I have seen almost all types of ads for a variety of businesses. Feel free to ask if your business can successfully use register tape advertising. I am not selling anything. Just offering free my advise based on 8 years with Register Tape Network and 8 years building a magazine from an 8 page, black & white newspaper print to a 64 page, full-color, glossy, interesting magazine that someone just had to buy from me to eliminate his competition and make me a happy camper.

Look forward to your reply, Jc

Register Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 10:29 AM   #15
K&G

Been there, Done that...

Actually, it worked pretty well. I got a fair amount of traffic through the store from the ad. There are a few important things I noticed though:

1) Have you noticed how LONG grocery store tapes are these days? Even a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread results in a lot of paper. If your advertiser has fewer than 6 advertisers for the store where your coupons are printed, your coupon will be printed more than once on each tape, and it counts every time it's printed. This can cut your exposure in half or more.

2) The closer the grocery store is to your store, the better the results.

3) I would sign up for the shortest term possible, even if it increases the end cost per coupon. The same people go to the same grocery store over and over, and after a couple of months you aren't getting new customers, you are just giving new coupons to old customers. Of course you want to keep them coming, but I get better results if I move on to something else and come back to this in a few months.

K&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 05:48 PM   #16
Register Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&G View Post
Been there, Done that...

Actually, it worked pretty well. I got a fair amount of traffic through the store from the ad. There are a few important things I noticed though:

1) Have you noticed how LONG grocery store tapes are these days? Even a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread results in a lot of paper. If your advertiser has fewer than 6 advertisers for the store where your coupons are printed, your coupon will be printed more than once on each tape, and it counts every time it's printed. This can cut your exposure in half or more.

2) The closer the grocery store is to your store, the better the results.

3) I would sign up for the shortest term possible, even if it increases the end cost per coupon. The same people go to the same grocery store over and over, and after a couple of months you aren't getting new customers, you are just giving new coupons to old customers. Of course you want to keep them coming, but I get better results if I move on to something else and come back to this in a few months.
Hi to the owners of K & G and other business owners thinking about advertising,

Glad you found value with Register Tape Advertising. Most advertisers reveive a lot of benefit by placing their ads on the register tape receipts - the busiest place in any town.

You are correct about having your coupons go through the printers fasters when there are fewer ads. The contract units are for 150,000 coupons or 12 weeks whichever comes first. However, most shoppers will save your ads just like they save other coupon ads. The net affect is that most advertisers will be redeeming coupons for the entire cycle (12 weeks). The important idea to remember is that repetition is all important. Every one of the shoppers can receive your coupon many times each cycle. The more times they receive your coupon, the more likely they will redeem your coupon.
Its a well established fact that the more impression a person sees the more likely they will act on that impression.

Proximity from the market to your store becomes a factor only when there is a competitor between your store and the market. Even then, people will pass up one similar store to go to the store that is offering a coupon. Fact of life is that coupons are another form of money. In the Mid-West, the managers of markets that I personally look after have said 78% of every transaction involves a coupon. Amazing!

Additionally, there are two distinctly different types of advertisers. I call the first group "must haves". These are all the fast food and services that customers need daily, weekly or monthly. This group's renewal rate pushes almost perfect 99.6%. The other group I call "fishers". These are the services that people need occasionally from plumbers, handyman, electric repair, construction, dentists, real estate, computer repair, cellular, pet stores and many similar types of this category. When they stay on the register tape for long periods of time (years), they do well. Generally, there renewal rate is in the 75% range. Most businesses in this type of category expect to get hundreds of new business customers in an unrealistic short time scale and that is the biggest reason for not renewing. Personally, I have advertisers in all of the "fishers" category and they are doing well.

Lastly, some people think its best to get on for 6 months and then get off and then get on. They think that they are saving money and getting a higher margin from current customers that are coming in without coupons. The fact is that these customers are using "other business coupons" for their purchase. Is it better to have a larger share of the market and occasionally receive a smaller margin per customer visit or to not have that customer visit your business??? If you think your customers will pay-up to come to you when there is a competitor offering a coupon, you are fooling yourself and losing business. My personal experience with over a thousand businesses, is that the longer they continually advertise the more business they take in. Therefore, It is smart business to get the yearly discount from advertising companies and keep in front of your customers - current and new - for the entire year. Need help or have questions on advertising - just ask -

Register Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 10:37 PM   #17
BrittneyDawnG

Thumbs down Our business did this and we REGRET it!

We got royally screwed by the same company Register Tape says he works for. They are a division of Fan Fare Media so watch out for them as well!

The salesman was a long term manager so he knew what he was doing!

We were shown 20 or so tapes from their previous customers, it all looked great to us. We signed and got screwed.

See, what happened was they didn't bother to tell us that no other advertisers had been approached and that we would be the sole advertiser. That would have been great if we still got our whole "cycle" as we were originally told. A "cycle" is 3 months, and we had to commit to a minimum of 2 "cycles" for a total of 6 months. I wouldn't be writing this if we got the full two months of constant advertising.

With only one advertiser (and really even 2 or 3 wouldn't be any better) is that RTN puts in fine print on the contract that they guarantee 150,000 coupons to go out. What they don't tell you is that should you be the only advertiser with them at the store you chose to advertise on, that 150,000 coupons is not going out to 150,000 seperate receipts. Or even 75,000 receipts.

No, we had 6-8 coupons on a single short receipt (single item purchase) and as many as 10-20 coupons on a single receipt for a larger grocery purchase.
Well, needless to say, the printed rolls that they sent to the grocery store ran out in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!!!! We paid around $1,800 (don't have the exact figure here with me tonight) for what we thought was 6-months of advertising going out to 150,000 or so people.

What we got for our $1,800 was one cycle with just over a week and a half going out to probably a few hundred people who each got multiple coupons they couldn't use (disclaimer stated one per customer). Then 3 months later, (the second "cycle") we got a repeat of the same.

Here is the clencher. We originally told the salesman that if this went well we would commit to long term and do the other 4 or 5 grocery stores in the perimeter around our business.

We called the local office and were told to contact someone at the main number. We were given a toll free number where multiple messages were left before we finally got a rude "supervisor" who told us it was what is was!

He didn't care that we could be a potential long term customer.

Oh, and I agree with the other poster about the regular customers. During that week and a half that we did get some coupons out, the only ones that came back to us were from our long term loyal customers anyway. We didn't get any new customers so we lost even more money by honoring a discount for an existing customer!

If I can offer you one piece of advice, it's read very well the small print! We've all been told this for years. But when you have an hour or so to finish up the paperwork, we don't read the small stuff always. Oh, and there is more small print on the back of the contract as well!

Let our mishap save you both your money and the headaches! Be careful of what you sign with anything, but in particular with the company that Register Tape works for!!!!!!

This just happened to us this year!

BrittneyDawnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 10:48 PM   #18
K&G

I guess everyone's experience will be different, but we did better with a store you can almost see from our front window than we did with a store 7 miles away.

We kept our coupon running for 3 months, then took a 2 month break. Our goal is for the coupon to bring in new customers, not keep the old ones coming in with a coupon. If the advertising can get them to the store we will handle the loyalty issues.

And I agree that we want our customers to see our ad over and over, but not on a single tape. I feel like an ad was wasted when it appers 2 or 3 times on the same tape.

K&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 11:22 PM   #19
BrittneyDawnG

Thumbs down

Yes I agree, the closer the store to the business the better. Our business happens to be the only one of it's kind for a long distance. The one store we did advertise with and had this awful experience was only about a block from us. The other stores had we gone with them would have been good for us too since we're exclusive to the area.

I just hope others don't have to endure the waste of time and money and the frustration and nerve wracking aggravation we went thru!

BrittneyDawnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 12:48 PM   #20
DAVIDG

Hi, I Have A Business That Advertised With Register Tape Network. This Conpany Is The Worst. Their Salesman Lied About The Number Of Ads I Would Get And Then The Companies Response Was "you Sighned The Contract" I Stopped Payment To Them And They Are Threatening Me. I Called All The Other Advertisers And They Agreed That It Sucks. There Are Never Ads In The Store As Agreed And They Tell Me " Prove That We Didnt Run The Ads" I Will Tell Everyone I Know Not To Use Them And I Will Call Every Advertiser Too. The Only Companies That Get Busuness From This Pathetic Ad Are Car Washes.

DAVIDG is offline   Reply With Quote