Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th July 2007, 06:24 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default How Personal Should You Get??

In this weeks newsletter, I am talking about how personal should you get about yourself in your business blog. How much do you tell of yourself to your potential customers? Please share with us what you have done in your blog.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th July 2007, 10:45 PM   #2
mitch

I have a mix of personal messages and articles for my blog. I use my blog as a message board for any annoucements I have for my members and they can see my personal profile anytime.

For my members I also have tips and ideas, and things that I have learned that may be valuable to them.

I have articles and general business related talk also for anyone else that goes on my blog.

I like to try and motivate people with my blog and mix general business with success talk.

You can see what I write at my site below. I have fun with my blog and post regulary to keep the material fresh so when people return there should always be something new to look at.

http://mitchpif4p.blogspot.com/

mitch

mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 01:39 AM   #3
alexwebley

Send a message via Skype™ to alexwebley

I think being personal is a good idea. It helps other people to know the real you - which engenders trust, relationship, community. It also encourages disclosure by the readers.

The popularity of gossip columns indicates the very high level of interest that people have in other people. Hence we can make the trend our friend.

Much better than being a "plastic image" person and good for business, if done right.

alexwebley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 03:58 PM   #4
eagle429

Do you connect your BLOG to your websites or do you have them setup separately? What software do you use that is INEXPENSIVE? I think that part of my website already states "who I am"; but I could see how an interesting (humorus) story of what has happened to me at one time for another would probably be a good thing. Especially since it leads to where I am today!

eagle429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 12:05 AM   #5
ubqueenbee

Default My take on blogging

I think it's essential to add a touch of your own personality to what you blog about. It's what keeps your readers coming back for more and allows you to see your own sense of growth of the months in your business or personal life (or both!)

Shawna Straub
UBQueenBee (dot) blogspot (dot) com

ubqueenbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 02:27 PM   #6
Esands

I asked the founder of my company how he feels about this and here is his reply.

"Great topic. The more personal the better, is how I look at blogging. Readers enjoy the informal style of blogs, that one reason they’ve taken off while traditional media have slid. We’re the subject-matter experts that newspapers and magazines and evening news broadcasts have always quoted in snippets while retaining for themselves the air of credibility. But in fact it was the subject-matter experts who were giving away their credibility for free and allowing big media to cash in on it. Now, the public is quickly discovering that they can easily go right to the horse’s mouth. Good blogs are experts telling what they know, for free, and if there’s any ‘monetizing’ to be done it’s by the blogger w an assist to adsense et al. So, blog useful stuff for your reader, do not hard sell, be respectful and have fun. You are tomorrow’s newspapers and magazines. - Tom Gegax "

Esands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 09:44 PM   #7
dreamsfloatjoe

Smile

I freely admit it's a dilemma for me. I will not be using people's last names or where they live in my blogs. It is also my hope to remain anonymous and use my 'sign in name'. My blog is not about me, it's about the people who go fishing aboard M/V Ye Ole Pirate.

Very confusing at times for me. smile

I have only a few blog entries and I am new to blogging. Hell's bell's, I haven't even figured out what RSS is and how to use it, yet.

dreamsfloatjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 02:08 PM   #8
F4F

Quote:
How much do you tell of yourself to your potential customers?
If it's intended to be a way for you to connect to your customers, then I think putting in a personal touch can be a great way to humanize your business. As someone mentioned earlier, if your revenue comes from ads then gossip or drama will definitely bring in some readers.

However, the needs for blog are a bit different. We needed to:

* Provide concise, useful content for busy entrepreneurs
* Establish credibility which inherently upsells the paid content
* Keep the content highly relevant for SEO

In the end, I think the answer to your question depends largely on your target demographic, and the purpose of your blog.

F4F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 05:25 AM   #9
janicejan

visitors usually looks upon the attitude of the blog owner, how he writes and the things that he/she comes up, adding a personal touch with every entries we made will help other people understand who we are and what we are trying to say, for me it's not appropriate to hide our personalities through entries that we made as other people may feel that what they are reading are just fake ones.

janicejan is offline   Reply With Quote