Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th June 2007, 11:30 AM   #1
semeon

Default Do You Think SEO Is A Con

Touring the conversations around various webmaster and business forums, it's pretty apparent that a lot of people think SEO=snake oil, and that it's mostly a big con.

While there are definitely a lot of bad apples in the cart - sharks will jump in wherever they can to make money - as someone whose business livelihood has depended on SEO success for the past few years, I find it an odd attitude.

This is especially when people start trying to understand SEO and talk about focusing only on content, and not really trying for links.

Does anyone here have any particularly negative ideas about SEO that they would like to share

semeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th June 2007, 12:49 PM   #2
TheIntroducer

I think SEO is overplayed a little bit, and with the advent of PPC it is far less lucrative nowadays.

And yes, there are still a lot of people out there making money from selling virtually worthless SEO techniques

You also find after a few years that 90% of what you read about SEO is also not quite true

But, good Luck in whatever you do

TheIntroducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 02:52 AM   #3
Trainer Bubble

I have seen seo reports from various businesses (not for my site admittedly) and I have to say I have gleaned much more information from my own searches on the web about the topic and this site in particular. Ok so the information I have found has not been specific to my site, but it's current and free!

Old 18th June 2007, 02:00 PM   #4
solid28
VIP Contributor

Default Gotta look at the source

Hi Semeon,

I think we have to be careful from whom we learn our SEO from. If there are outdated methods for ranking high, then avoid them.

Like getting 1000s of low quality links to rank high; not going to work anymore.

Last edited by solid28; 18th June 2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: inchoate idea, needs title
solid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 02:59 PM   #5
bragadocchio
VIP Contributor

Quote:
I think SEO is overplayed a little bit, and with the advent of PPC it is far less lucrative nowadays.
The advent of PPC makes performing SEO even more valuable now.

Quote:
I think we have to be careful from whom we learn our SEO from. If there are outdated methods for ranking high, then avoid them.
There is a lot of information on the web about SEO and SEM. It doesn't hurt to learn how to experiment, and to test things out for yourself.

Old 18th June 2007, 03:22 PM   #6
solid28
VIP Contributor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bragadocchio View Post
There is a lot of information on the web about SEO and SEM. It doesn't hurt to learn how to experiment, and to test things out for yourself.
Great point. You don't know until you try. But some things, blackhatseo.com/bad-seo.shtml, are tried and truely not quality.

solid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 09:15 PM   #7
ethnicomm
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to ethnicomm Send a message via Skype™ to ethnicomm

IHMO SEO is like any other tool. You need to understand what it is, how it works and when/where it can be used. As far as negatives go, it's usually bad people who feel that cheating someone to make a quick buck is okay. This negative reputation taints the industry.

The rule I tend to follow is that if it's easy money, there's something fishy going on. The reason I say this is that if it was THAT easy, why isn't the person who figured it out raking in the dough instead of flogging $19.99 ebooks on how you too can be a millionaire!

Like psychics who charge $10 for a reading...why not just read your own future and benefit?

Call me a cynic but I believe in hard, honest work - something that I am proud of and that will allow me to go to sleep with a clear conscience.

Old 19th June 2007, 06:42 PM   #8
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

I have used an SEO consultant before... a really great guy, brilliant, but he got out of the market because he make better use of his time elsewhere...

I do think that a lot of the good SEO stuff is learnable (and very interesting) if you just hang out in these forums, read the free articles, peruse the ocassional book, etc.

Old 24th June 2007, 09:22 PM   #9
tldtim

SEO is still a valueable avenue of marketing and I agree that PPC only increases the value. However, I'd like to add that SEO is only a tool on what should be an arsenal of marketing tools that you use.

It isn't and most likely never will be the end all or be all of online marketing. Especially with Google being hot for personalized search.

tldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 03:11 AM   #10
Old Welsh Guy

SEO is NOT rocket science, although it does get more difficult when you get into seriously competitive markets like mortgages etc.

When I say it is not technical, I guess that is a lie, because many of the sites that I work on have commissioned me to carry out a report because of non performance, when it is technical design scripting that is causing the bulk of the issues, non spider friendly coding being the main cluprit.

It owould be wrong to say that SEO is bad, That would be like saying morphine is evil. electricity is evil etc.

Morphine removes suffering from cancer patients and soldiers in the field who have been injured. It is also a heroine substitute that can be misused. Electricity keeps premature babies alive, it also kills murderers in legalised life endings. Morphine, Electricity neither good NOR evil.

there ARE people out there who are selling snake oil. but there are equally gullible greedy people who create the market. I have had people ridicule my rates, telling me that I am ripping off hard working people because they can get the actual SEO done for like $50, when I am charging £250 or £500 for a report, and a couple of £hunderd a month to carry out the SEO.

here is the thing though, I know what I am doing. A client I took on 2 months ago was selling £700 a week in goods, and it was hurting him. Yesterday, he sold £479.58 bringing his sales for the week to a little over £2600 NOW tell me SEO is a con.

ANYONE who has the required level of intelligence can become proficient at SEO. it is NOT a quick learn though, ok for sure you can quickly learn tips and tricks, but to gain a complete understanding of SEO and internat marketing is going to take a fair bit of time.

Finally I would say though that selecting an SEO is a mine field, and you should walk slowly towards it rather than run into it blindly.