Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th June 2007, 11:31 AM   #1
eww

Default I Just Don't Get It...why Blog If You Already Have A Site?

Call me dense, but I just don't get it. If you already have a website, why create a blog? Aren't blogs subject to the same SEO tactics as a website? Shouldn't your website already have a lot of good content that someone would want to read? I get the concept of a blog creating traffic to your website, but doesn't someone actually have to find your blog in the first place? I read here the list of blog directories...do people actually go to these directories to find a blog that might interest them? Hmmm...maybe I'm too lazy to jump on this train...

eww is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th June 2007, 02:14 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Depending on how its used, a blog can be an opportunity to put a more "human" face on your business, to give it a "voice."

Blogs don't have to be separate from the main website. It's easy enough to incorporate it into the website, and actually makes particularly good sense if the blog is intended to be the "official company blog."

Even if you don't want to use it for "traditional" blog posting, blog software makes an excellent content management system for article publishing, so it can make sense to incorporate the blog into the main site if you already have or plan to publish a number of articles on an ongoing basis, even if you have no need of a "traditional" blog.

In fact, I've converted many of my existing sites to WordPress just because the software makes it so easy to update my pages and add new useful content.

Blog software also offers the benefit of RSS feeds and pinging built in. You can potentially add either of these to any standard website, but they're built in and automated in blog software. Pinging lets blog search engines know that you've added or updated a post, and RSS feeds allow interested customers the chance to quickly update themselves on the new content on your site.

It's true, not every business needs a blog. But I wouldn't necessarily reject the idea out of hand.

--Torka

Old 17th June 2007, 08:04 AM   #3
mktgbiz

NEW I think is a word that might fit here.

Even though I am not an expert blogger, heck I barely blog, the key with "good bloggers" is they are always contributing NEW content when blogging.

NEW keeps people's attention and interest. I also think blogging is shorter and a faster way than article submission.

Don't know all the ins and out myself, but I know it doens't hurt in the least and if your blogging can place you one position above your competition, than better get blogging!!

Just me 2 cents.........

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 09:31 AM   #4
eww

Great post, Torka. I get it now, thanks. Like mktgbiz said, it doesn't hurt to give it a try. Perhaps I'll dabble a bit. Thanks both!

eww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 12:58 PM   #5
EyesOpen

Blogs serve different purposes for different businesses.

For some, they help create a sense of community, allowing customers to interact with you and fellow customers. Having your voice heard and responded to, by what is often a static, faceless corporation, changes the way people look at you as a company. It puts a face to the typical website and marketing spiel.

For others, itís a quick and painless way to add fresh content to a static website. Offering up tips, stories, or updates on your company/product/business can be a very good way of pulling in Google traffic, and as long as the blog is an integral part of the company website, rather than a separate domain or blogger account, can form a fundamental part of your web presence.

People love to be involved, or at least to appear to be involved, and they love to have their voices and opinions listened to. A company blog is a simple, cost effective way of letting this happen.

EyesOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 01:22 PM   #6
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
A blog can be an opportunity to put a more "human" face on your business, to give it a "voice."

Blogs don't have to be separate from the main website. It's easy enough to incorporate it into the website, and actually makes particularly good sense if the blog is intended to be the "official company blog."
So best of luck in posting your blogs. I'm sure you'll enjoy posting those.

Old 20th June 2007, 03:16 PM   #7
scottco

EWW:

There is a lot of hoopla about blogs.

You are wise to consider some objectives before you venture into blogging.

Some of them might be to:
  • communicate and get feedback from your customers or prospects. Many businesses also use blogs to make announcements or support current customers with follow-up articles, etc. (Aweber is a good example of that)
  • increase qualified traffic from search engines (this can often be done more effectively with a blog than more static pages on your regular site, due to the shear volume and frequency of your postings, proper titling of your blog entries, and the power of many of the blog publishing software (content management systems).
  • get the attention of the media. If your blog is the first to take on a topic in your niche, or has a unique angle or quality, it is possible to get significant attention from the press.
  • connect with other bloggers in your market (through the unique blog features of trackbacks, etc.) -- this can be a great way to promote traffic, joint venture, etc.
  • gain credibility by journalizing your expertise on a topic related to your prospects' needs -- it's an effective method to write short articles -- becoming a recognized "publisher" in your marketplace of valuable, unique content.

Much of this can be done on your regular site, but blog publishing platforms have some nice bells and whistles to manage content, and connect with visitors that normally can't be done on a more traditional website.

Last edited by scottco; 20th June 2007 at 03:21 PM.
scottco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 11:55 PM   #8
willie hill

Send a message via Skype™ to willie hill

Hi Guys,
just my 2c
A web site is static- unless you have a news letter on your web site,
the content of your web site is going to stay the same.
This is OK, some one types in loklok and there you are on the Se listing
A blog is dynamic,
it is always in a state of change, content will always get injected into it
and maybe down track when you have enough links in and out on your blog, will then over take your web site organic ranking

willie hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 01:55 PM   #9
Rando

Default Is blogging the same with newsletter?

Do you think blogging serves the same purpose as Newsletters? I'm not a blogger but I've send out a couple newsletters to our clients. Do you think I should do both blogging and newsletter?
By the way, The company I work for is a Web development and an E-business Solutions provider.

Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 09:03 PM   #10
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Maybe a similar purpose, but not necessarily exactly the same. It depends on what you put in your newsletters and what you put in the blog.

Generally a blog will be updated at least once or twice a week, maybe daily, maybe even more often. You can't do that with newsletters (not without annoying your readers, most likely).

--Torka