Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th February 2005, 11:13 PM   #1
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Default New Article - Getting an Education in Search Engine Marketing

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/003457.html

Some Snippets:

"The search marketing industry changes at such a fast pace that even if a university were to offer a degree in search marketing, the information they taught

"You won't want to start your education just anywhere though, there are just as many sites sharing outdated and dangerous information as there are sharing legitimate tried and true tips."

"In reality, the best education will come from the experience of optimizing that first site and seeing how different techniques impact its rankings."
--

What are your favorite sites for the industry? Any wonderful newsletters that some of us may not have heard of? How did you get your search marketing education?

Personally, I spent hours on sites like Search Engine Watch, Search Engine Guide, JimWorld and Webmaster World...then I started putting it to use and learning by trial and error...

Old 18th February 2005, 12:03 AM   #2
bragadocchio
VIP Contributor

Hi Jennifer,

Here's what worked (and still works) for me:

Build web sites.
Make hobby sites.
Make serious sites.
Use them.
Play with them.
Try out different things with them.
Experiment and test.
Be patient.

When something goes wrong, don't get upset; get happy. It's your chance to learn something.

Read everything you can, but don't take those things as gospel. See above for how to tell what you see in a forum, or in an article works well.

Ask questions. There are lots of forums. The two that Jenn mentions are good ones, but there are a lot more. Find one (or more) that you feel comfortable in participating within, and participate. Lurking is fine and good, and will give you a taste for the personalities and practices on the forum. But you do learn more when you start actively conversing with others, and by keeping an open mind. And by trying stuff out yourself.

Old 21st February 2005, 10:00 AM   #3
hscpub

Default SEO Education

Jennifer,

That is excellent.

We would be interested, potentially, in investing in a serious SEO program that would attract students and awards credible certification or degrees. It appears to still be a wide open and greatly underutilized segment of the market.

Alex Hammer, CEO
HSC Media

hscpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2005, 09:17 AM   #4
Valerie

Default thanks

A great article for those of us venturing into this new arena... I am attending a seminar this weekend - knowing that the investment I'm making is in myself. I could never get this knowledge/education from any school.

Thanks again for the assurance that I'm on the right path...
Valerie

Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 08:50 AM   #5
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Valerie, good for you! Can I ask who's seminar you are attending? It is one of the national ones that travels, or a local one?

The beautiful part about seminars and the Web is that you can attend one, learn a ton, then come back to a forum like this one and brainstorm with other people about what you learned. Be sure to come back and share with us what you thought about the seminar!

Old 25th February 2005, 09:26 AM   #6
cre8pc

There is the Search Engine College offered by Kalena Jordan and her husband, from WebRank.

The courses are taught by some familiar folks, like Karon Thackston and Dan Thies. The web site usability course is a self-study course given by myself.

There is certification offered, but more importantly, the instructors are people who are all active in the industry with their own businesses, memberships to SEMPO, involvement in organizing other organizations and running forums. Many of them speak at conferences such as Jill Whalen's SEO conference and Danny Sullivan's SES conferences.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to study from anyone who can't prove they're on top of things in this fast changing industry, and the Search Engine College fits that requirement

cre8pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 01:20 PM   #7
upright

Default SEO Training

If anyone is interested in a great SEO Training course, then you should seriously check out Bruce Clay's SEO ToolSet. It's an intense course, and probably more appropriate for the more advanced SEO in my opinion, but if you're serious about SEO and doing it right, I highly recommend checking it out.

upright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 03:38 AM   #8
GHoward

Thumbs up UK based training

I purchased a set of books from a UK company called www.enable-uk.co.uk. They've proved invaluable in promoting my web sites. For those based in the UK they also run one day training courses based on the books.

GHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 09:50 AM   #9
thinkpad

Default Legit Schools are starting to offer programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscpub View Post
Jennifer,

That is excellent.

We would be interested, potentially, in investing in a serious SEO program that would attract students and awards credible certification or degrees. It appears to still be a wide open and greatly underutilized segment of the market.

Alex Hammer, CEO
HSC Media
There aren't many Colleges that offer degree programs in internet marketing. The only school I know that offers a full degree is Rasmussen College, which has an Internet Marketing Degree. I think you can complete the degree either at their campus or online. Their adr is rasmussen.edu/programs/internet-marketing-overiew.asp

The University of British Columbia in Canada has a certificate in Web Analytics, which is a narrow niche of internet marketing. And, a few colleges offer an internet marketing elective as part of their marketing degrees. Haven't found any masters degree programs yet. If anybody does, please post.

thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote