Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th April 2007, 03:45 PM   #1
krtup

Question Can Someone Clarify--original Content Vs Links To Other Posts

I've only recently started blogging and one thing is confusing to me. Everyone talks about the need for good content, but I wonder if that means that all of the content needs to be original? It seems that a lot of blogs point to other blogs or other articles? Is this OK? Preferred? Or am I missing out? Is the idea to bring the best of the best information to my readers? Even though there aren't a lot of readers right now, I want to make sure that my blog strategy makes sense long term.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and/or input on this subject?

Last edited by krtup; 20th April 2007 at 03:51 PM. Reason: want to add email notification
krtup is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th April 2007, 04:07 PM   #2
Corey Bryant
VIP Contributor

A lot of blogs offer an RSS feed. And then people might use that feed to show some content on their web page. Is that what you are referring to?

But blogs in general should be written by (you) showing your knowledge, etc. For example, I have two blogs - one talks about just me in general and then one about merchant accounts. A lot of people use blogs to promote their services and / or products in general. So usually pointing people to other blogs (links) would not be that great.

But if you are just doing it to maybe get incoming links to advertise, then yes - you might consider using the RSS feeds.

I would write about what I know though, and then use services like My Blog Log to help promote your blog

Old 20th April 2007, 07:43 PM   #3
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

The best blogs IMO are those that offer original content. That could entail original original content or if referring to something someone else wrote on another blog. at least offer your own perspective. In the latter case, even though you are referencing someone else's material or even something of news, by offering your own comments, perspective and insight, it becomes your original creation.

I, myself try to do a combination of both - create original content and then highlight and offer my own perspective on news and/or other's content that interests me and my readers.

Old 24th April 2007, 04:12 PM   #4
krtup

Thanks for the clarification. I see the value in both giving my perspective on the latest news and in offering genuinely original content. That's the angle I've been working on.

krtup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 03:15 PM   #5
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

True. Blogs exactly are what's in your mind. Your thoughts, your ideas. You may quote some that are interesting or will support your blog. It's just your own creativity.

Old 28th April 2007, 07:05 PM   #6
colintheriot

I've previously done niche topic blogging that relied primarily on commentary and aggregation of related content from around the web. that's all well and good, but I found that the sites I actually like to READ were mostly original. I decided that on my new, more serious blogging effort, that's what I'll be doing as well.

I should note that a blog doesn't necessarily have to be text-based. Mine is an art/photo blog of sorts, and the text content is basically just description and commentary on the artwork, and also site news. There are tons of different types of blogs that are popular.

Hope that helps!

colintheriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 03:54 AM   #7
nhgnikole

Send a message via AIM to nhgnikole Send a message via Yahoo to nhgnikole

I think original and worthwhile content is important. Even when my post starts out talking about something I saw on the 'net today and linking to it, I go into full detail and develop the idea further with my own spin and knowledge.

nhgnikole is offline   Reply With Quote