Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 70,000 small business folks with over 120,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Just for Fun > Chat
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th February 2007, 10:06 PM   #1
Robert
Administrator

Default Work Standing Up?

I was reading a couple of blogs posts about people that work at their computers standing up instead of sitting in a chair. Does anyone here do that? Here are the posts I was reading:

Ergonomics - Standing Up at Your Desk

Work standing up?

... and here is a picture of a guy at Pixar standing at his desk.

So, what do you think? I think it would be kinda cool to work this way.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th February 2007, 11:17 PM   #2
jvance
VIP Contributor

I don't stand up at my desk yet, but plan on moving to that sometime this year. I walked into one of my client's offices and he had just gotten new desk furniture. He had a custom desk made specifically so he could stand up and work. He said it bothered him (physically) for a few days until he got used to it. Now he loves it.

Here is a link to another idea that I have considered. Anybody try this?? Walking on the treadmill while working? I think this would take some getting used to, and I would probably wipe out a few times before getting the hang of it.

http://www.squidoo.com/walkingwhileworking/

jvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 06:59 AM   #3
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvance View Post
Anybody try this?? Walking on the treadmill while working?
I saw that and it looks so cool! Here is a picture of his setup:

Here are a few more links about that:

An awesome setup.
This guy provides a great picture and excellent details on what he uses and how he set it up.

My Treadmill Desk
Provides a description of her set up and some pictures.

bookofjoe treadmill desk: Version 1.0 is up and running

Walking Desk

I've seen the future: it's a hamster wheel

Too busy to work out? Work out at work!
MSNBC story that includes video.

Old 6th February 2007, 10:41 AM   #4
jvance
VIP Contributor

Great Robert. Thanks for the links. Maybe there is a business in custom desk making for executives on the go?

Old 6th February 2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Logan
Administrator

lol. too funny with the walking treadmill. I can see myself getting pretty bruised up with something like that

I stand up when working a lot, maybe 30-40% of the time. I work on my laptop pretty much exclusively, and have a breakfast bar setup that works great. I go back n forth and don't think about it much, but do have some previous back injuries and do find it helpful to stand a bit. Nothing elaborate like these setups though. I started working standing up many years ago when I got into drafting a bit. Not positive, but I think architect/drafting has always been something done while standing up.

Old 7th February 2007, 04:39 PM   #6
dcole

Default Standing up every day

I saw this thread and just had to register just so I could say: I've owned my business 20 years this March, working at the computer constantly, and have always wanted to stand up.

A couple years ago I started surfing the net looking for "adjustable height" desks. The only ones I could find that are real desks (besides those narrow non-adjustable standing "work carts") were being advertised at $3000 and up, which was hard for me to justify just for a desk.

Then, last March, Ikea opened up their new warehouse in my town and my wife and I did the obligatory new-store walk-thru. I said to her when we were walking thru: "I wonder if they have any adjustable desks?" Right then (no kidding) I turned around and squinting across the massive landscape of Ikea, I saw a very tall table that I though could possibly work as a desk. Sure enough, it was a desk, and the best part is it was height-adjustable with an electric motor. Plus, there's an optional "basket" to bolt to the underside of it to put your computer in, so you don't have to worry about monitor/speaker/keyboard wires stretching when the desk is raised. The best part is that the tabletop + adjustable motor system was about $600, a paltry fraction of what I'd seen elsewhere. I think the Ikea style line is called "Galant".

I know this sounds like an Ikea commercial, but I swear - I don't even like Ikea's general "quality", like for general furniture. But I've been standing since last March and my butt is finally not numb anymore (I'm 6 ft. 4 in. and thin, so my circulation isn't that great even though I exercise all the time, and sitting down for long times makes my legs fall asleep and my lower back ache).

Now when I go home, I can actually sit comfortably at the dinner table. I used to lie on my stomach on the floor to eat dinner, just to get off my sorry rear.

What's really cool is that sometimes in the afternoon after standing all day, I just lower the desk with the button and presto, I'm sitting in my chair again. I've always said, the only perfect working position is one of CHANGING POSITION. For example, now that I have this tall desk, when I'm on the phone with a customer I'll leave the desk up high, walk across my office with my wireless phone headset on, sit in my (low) office chair, and prop my feet up on the file cabinet. This gets the blood out of my feet. Five minutes later, the call's over, and my legs have had the perfect break and are ready to stand again. I can't figure out why more people don't crave this type of arrangement. Maybe it's the being tall/skinny thing, or maybe people don't have to be stuck at their computer like I do.

I could go on and on about this and it probably sounds silly, but it's a huge QOL difference (quality of life). Here's another example of how big a deal this is for me, and then I'll try to shut up: It used to be that when we would go on driving (or flying) trips, I hated it because sitting in a car/plane for hours on end, after sitting at work all week, was torture. I never sit at work anymore, so now, sitting down for a trip is actually a restful thing, and a change.

One more note: the Ikea desk is simply a tabletop with legs, so don't expect an executive desk or something. But at least the electric motor + legs assembly is modular so that when you're buying it, you can choose from several different shapes and colors from their tabletop line.

dcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 05:31 PM   #7
jvance
VIP Contributor

HI dcole!

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the info. I will have to check that out.

Feel free to introduce yourself in the forum as well to get others familiar with what you do.

Old 7th February 2007, 06:30 PM   #8
Robert
Administrator

Great first post, dcole... welcome to the forum!

Quote:
I think the Ikea style line is called "Galant".
I've been doing some more reading and it seems Ikea has another style that has been mentioned a number of times as a good height adjustable desk. It's called the Jerker It's a really simple desk but that would probably be an advantage in this situation.

I found this link to the Galant series at Ikea. Looks like there are a number of options.

Old 8th February 2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Bestmiler

Send a message via AIM to Bestmiler Send a message via MSN to Bestmiler

Hey, thanks for the pictures

Bestmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2007, 12:03 AM   #10
Robert
Administrator

As of today I've made the transition to working standing up. I had been using an old folding table as my desk so I knew that wouldn't work unless I stuck cinder blocks under the legs or something.

I was looking at my kid's desk and I realized it was ajustable up to 48 inches. So I switched desks with them, increased the height and voila I'm working standing up.

It's kind of strange to begin with so I'll give it some time and report back on how it is working.