Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th January 2012, 01:00 AM   #1
Jeff87

Default Small Business Owners - Please Read

Hi Guys,

Just a quick disclaimer, I'm not here selling or promoting my services.

I hav e been doing SEO for myslef and my own sites for a couple years and now I am starting a company that helps local businesses generate customers online, using multiple promotional strategies such as search engine, email marketing, mobile marketing, viral video marketing, and many more. Before I go out and start generating leads for myself, I really want to know my ideal customers from the inside out. And you small business owners, that rely on new customers every day as well as repeat business, are my target market. But what I want to know is what are the real issues that frustrate you the most in your business? What are your thoughts and beliefs towards online marketing? Can you name some of the problems that you consistently experience in your business? And more importantly, some the problems consistently experienced with any traditional forms of marketing and advertising you have used? How do you feel about the idea of marketing your business online?

I'm trying to get a feel for my customers' wants, beliefs, and desires to gain a deeper understanding of how my business can benefit them. Any feedback you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Jeff87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st February 2012, 05:39 AM   #2
paulplan2profit

Default Trying too hard

Email marketing can be really annoying. i use it and find it effective; however I am far from traditional and do not "hound' my people, nor do I send out sales and squeeze page templates. I TALK to my customers and try and engage them rather than try and sell them.

paulplan2profit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Phil Comforthos

Personally, email marketing really puts me off a company, though I now that this can generate good business for some. I'm ok with receiving occasional offers or 'special deals' for existing customers (that seems worth it) but weekly emails does not impress me at all.

Phil Comforthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Neil D

Hi Jeff,

Personally I would never respond to unsolicited emails. If I get unsolicited emails I generally don't open them and treat them as spam.

If I have given my email address to a company either in exchange for something or as an opt-in I will generally read them and give them a little more credibility.

Old 25th April 2012, 04:30 AM   #5
SEO_Philly

I personally understand the intentions of email marketing. I considered this as one "fluke-system." By stroke of luck, 10% of all the recipients might take interest of the offer.

However, there are certain instances when email marketing can be very annoying. Sometimes, recipients just shun it off as spams, therefore, a wasted effort.

Old 16th May 2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Billieg

It's interesting about email marketing. On one hand I'd like to get my info into as many HR departments as I can but I don't wish to offend them with spam.

I designed an email to offer free testing so they could evaluate my service before buying and thought it would generate some interest. As of yet I haven't found a company that will send it to a select group of companies that are not already my customers.

I now do PR (press releases) on a 6 month schedule which helps my Google spot and brings in a few clients but I feel the email send out would do much better.

Has anyone found a good company that will provide and send out emails?

Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote