Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th July 2004, 12:40 PM   #1
Virginia SEO

Question Is Google Down?

I just did a search on Google and got this:

Server Error
The service you requested is not available at this time.
Service error -27.

Are they down? Does anyone know what is going on?

Virginia SEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th July 2004, 01:20 PM   #2
Old Welsh Guy

Apparently it is the latest incarnation of mydoom that is wreaking havoc on the SE's.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-07-26

Old 28th July 2004, 09:46 PM   #3
marketinguy

I'm not saying I love hackers, but man, I kind of admire them.

We depend on these search engines to deliver us right to the doorstep of the information we're trying to find. And when their down, well, I can't help but to chuckle to myself. These hackers are very good at what they do - especially to interrupt Google and the traffic it provides.

Just as long as Google or Yahoo are never down for a day or more, I'm OK with a little disruption.

marketinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2004, 06:57 AM   #4
Old Welsh Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketinguy
I'm not saying I love hackers, but man, I kind of admire them.
Strange thing to say. The virus that did this invaded the privacy of every machine it infected, cost millions and millions in bandwidth charges, disrupted business, and carried out what was effectively a combined DDOS attack on the search engines, and you amire that?

What they did is the same as vandalism, they just went right into peoples homes and vandalised their reputation. Email addresses and servers get blacklisted because of spammers trojans and viruses. Innocent people just like us are losing business because their emails are being sent back because they have been branded 'spammers'. And you admire the people who did this.

Sorry it may sound harsh, but the sooner the people who create this kind of cyber vandalism are jailed for a long time, the better. The guy the other day got 7 years, the message was obviously not enough.

Security needs to be made better online at server level and beyond.

The sooner someone gets life for this the better!

I had a client who lost a tender for a lot of money, because he had his email bounce as a spammer. The original spamm mail had been spoofed, and someone had manually taken the send address as being correct, and banned all mail from his domain.

And you admire people who do this?

I am amazed.

Old 29th July 2004, 09:26 AM   #5
marketinguy

I guess "admire" is much too strong of a word. I apologize if this came across the wrong way.

Hackers of this nature should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. I am a firm believer that these acts are as malicious as terrorism, and these criminals should be treated as such.

To my defense, I believe hackers and viruses play a vital role in keeping the rest of us on our toes. They keep Microsoft, McAfee, Norton, and the rest working diligently to provide the best security possible. Without hackers, we would not need such security, and without security, paranoia alone would kill e-commerce. And without e-commerce, well, we wouldn't be here.

Hacker attacks are unavoidable. Much like order does not exist without chaos. It must be the daoist in me that has learned to appreciate it.

marketinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2004, 10:20 AM   #6
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketinguy
...hackers and viruses play a vital role in keeping the rest of us on our toes.
Some may see it that way. I see hackers, the kind that invent and distribute viruses like this, as those who waste the precious time and resources of people. They are time bandits.

If we lived in such a world where there were no thieves and robbers, no con men, no murderers, etc., there would be no need for security. We could leave our doors unlocked, our windows open, our yards unfenced. However, that is a fictitious fantasy as there are thieves, con men and the like. So one has to lock their doors, keep their windows shut at night, fence in their yards.

However, even with those elements designed to keep the undesirables out, hackers try to disable those devices so IMO they are the very worst kind of criminal and when they do damage to the extent that we have seen over the last few years, it is my opinion that they just do not deserve to live with the rest of us on this planet. Therefore it would be difficult for me to give them any sort of credit for ‘improving’ security. That’s my take on it.

Old 30th July 2004, 04:13 PM   #7
StupidScript
Administrator

Default It ain't like it used to be...

marketinguy: Once upon a time, hackers actually needed some brains in addition to chutzpah. But things ain't like they used to be.

Nowadays it is quite literally child's play to download some virus-building software and with a couple of clicks, churn out and launch an incredibly destructive piece of software. There is no skill or chutzpah required. And you can believe that those using these tools have no intention of testing the limits of current security or providing any value as a result of their exploits, unlike some of the earlier hackers who were actually interested in discovering security problems.

Attacks like the ones promulgated by the new MyDoom variant are akin to some punk slowing and stopping on a busy freeway just to watch the traffic back up behind them. (Maybe this analogy only works in Los Angeles?)

I agree that criminal prosecution should proceed against these "script-kiddies", however the likelihood of that happening is exceedingly slim. The few who have been caught and made example of are far too few in number to have an impact on the perpetual juveniles who engage in this sort of thing.

It's a shame, really.

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2004, 08:45 PM   #8
Old Welsh Guy

Ok I think they should be labotomised, and sent home with their brain in a jar!

any takers?