Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd July 2004, 07:17 PM   #1
Virginia SEO

Default Who's more likely to buy?

Question. Are people who can correctly spell more or less likely to purchase online? For example, if someone finds your site by typing in the correctly spelled search phrase, are they more likely to stay and buy?

Do you have any data to support this?

From an SEO perspective, it is probably easier to market the misspelled phrases than the correctly spelled ones.

Just wondering

Virginia SEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd July 2004, 04:46 AM   #2
Old Welsh Guy

IMO people who mispell (like me) don't know they have got it wrong, so there is no difference between the two.

The problem comes in as much as that if you have wrongly spelled words on your page, you can look un-professional. This is a bigger problem than the one you mention. Looking bad, can lose you sales, so tread carefully.

If there is no competition for the words spelled wrongly, then very weak SEO will get you up there ie alt image attributes on clickable images, in the description, hidden away beyon the 63 digit cut off that is the max that most SE's display in the browser (They truncate the display but do not stop indexing the actual text, so it is read and noted).

I would go down that route personally. I would not knowingly add mispellings to my copy.

Old 23rd July 2004, 08:13 AM   #3
BWelford

What a great question, Virginia SEO.

It reminds me of that old joke:
A drunk was on his knees searching under a street light.
A passer-by asked, "Did you lose something?".
The drunk replied, "Yes, I dropped my keys."
The passer-by said,"Let me help you. Can you say roughly where you dropped them."
The drunk replied,"Yes, it was over there, but it's too dark to see anything at all there."

I'm with OWG on the importance of doing your website right so that you establish credibility and trust in your website.

Another 'out on a limb' theory could be that education possibly correlates with wealth. So perhaps there are more people with money among those who don't make spelling mistakes. If they have money, they may be more interested in buying. So try to appeal to them.

Old 23rd July 2004, 10:37 AM   #4
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

We have one client who wanted to capture traffic for a common misspelling of their company name so we built a error type of page that served as a landing page and explained that if they had found this page, they might has misspelled the company name, etc., etc. Then they can click thru to the home page. Kind of a doorway page of sorts but not orphaned, no sneaky redirects and effective.

It has been recommended in the past to hide misspellings in the keyword meta tag but a recent test I conducted proved this to be ineffective. Possibly a person can place misspelled words in a <noscript> tag as those get indexed. I have never tried this however so can't say how affective this might be.