Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Affiliate Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th October 2007, 12:47 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default Just How Do You Get Started??

Affiliate marketers, I have a question for you. Affiliate programs is always on the list for businesses in any article I find for the top businesses to get started online.

For someone who wants to start their own business and affiliate programs appeal to them but they have really no idea on how to get started, they are a novice on ecomerce, what advice would you give them on getting started and to succeed? I want to write a newsletter in the upcoming weeks on this business. Any information that would help my readers would be greatly appreciated.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st October 2007, 10:21 AM   #2
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to radiogirl Send a message via Yahoo to radiogirl Send a message via Skype™ to radiogirl

The first steps are to choose your affiliate products to promote. It's best to start with products/services that you are familiar with and can recommend wholeheartedly and those that fit your target market.

If you don't have an existing business (and therefore no target market) then you will want to keep your affiliate products within the same family/niche.

Next you have to choose how to promote your product. Often this begins with building a newsletter/mailing list. A simple website can be set up to attract customers (often with a free bonus for joining up). This page can be promoted through articles, signature links in relevant areas and so on...

This page/site leads to an e-course or newsletter in a specific niche market. As you build the relationship with the subscriber you recommend relevant affiliate products.

Old 21st October 2007, 10:43 AM   #3
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Linda,

I am ready to start an affiliate program but also have many questions. I know there are a bunch of companies that start them and are not organized with relation to payment and drop off the map quickly. This makes desirable (and therefore savvy) affiliates skeptical. I want to do it right but there is much to sort through. I would love to read a newsletter/article that sorted through the rhetoric and started me in the right direction. I guess I am seeking a basics of the "do's and don'ts". I signed with CJ last year but have yet to pull the trigger and get this thing launched. I look forward to seeing your writing.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Ken, take a look at also Link Share, Share A Sale and ClickBank

Here is a great thread discussing the various affiliate programs

Free Programs For Affiliate Webmasters

Best of luck and let us know how it goes for those who do pull the trigger

Old 24th October 2007, 09:36 PM   #5
glnutrition

One of the biggest mistakes that new affiliates make is create a general website and plop all the banners they can find on it and then expect the cash to start pouring in the next day... of course it doesn't work that way and that is where affiliate marketing loses alot of people.

Do not expect to join an affiliate program today and be able to quit your day job tommorrow. Affiliate Marketing takes time and ALOT of patience.

I always tell newbies to find a product/service they can relate to and would know alot about and then build a theme park around that... for example, a car buff would know alot about cars and automotive stuff. So they could create a car related site with car care tips and any other information they could give anyone interested in cars that would come to their website and want to see. Then once they get their site going with alot of information they would find affiliate programs that sell car related services or products such as insurance, auto parts and accessories, etc...

Just my two cents... hope I am not to late

glnutrition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 04:48 AM   #6
shriom shukla

Default help me for a small business

hello buddy
i don't have any work in this time, i want some work, but i don't now that how take the work and how can i do work any buddy help me

shriom shukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:12 PM   #7
Chuck Hamrick

Before anyone starts a program they need to make sure their site is converting. If not, it will fail like 99% of the programs that are started. Also, you need to promote your merchant website so affiliate can find information on it. They are savvy and will check it out before committing time and money. Affiliate marketing is not a branding system and hence the high drop out rate. Take a look at the large number of sites on SAS that posts performance.

The next step is to do a competitive analysis and make sure you are competitive. Join all the top 5 networks and check out the competition. You need a unique selling proposition (USP) otherwise you will get lost in the chatter.

Chuck Hamrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 05:14 AM   #8
cashinez

I have to agree with most everything said here. I had purchased a very expensive plan and have been marketing that for sometime. It's great if you can afford to go a month or 2 without a sale. I could not, I did keep my day job.
I was talking with a group 1 day when it was mentioned to grab a couple smaller items that would sell really good. (Multiple incomes) Each bringing in 25.00 to 100.00 a sale. This has worked out great for me. You can learn and adjust your marketing in to what will really produce for your products and then apply it all to the larger items/Products as you will without the large costs. Please Heed the stong advice: Don't assume you will be rich tomorrow. But remember to keep that burning desire strong, Keep with it and it will produce for you!

cashinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 07:40 PM   #9
cbmarketer

Default Affiliate Marketing Tricks

I have learned some effective methods for affiliate marketing. I personally like clickbank better than cj because you make a higher profit.

Go to clickbank.com/marketplace to start looking through the ebooks. Look for items with a high gravity.

You need to cloak your affiliate links. Type in "cloak affiliate links" or "mask links" in google to learn more about this.

Use blogs to market the products. You can get a blog into the first page of the search engines and its free to make a blog, so you can make an unlimited amount of them. Go to blogger.com and choose name of the product you are marketing. (ie. if you are promoting for acne products, use a blog name like "stop acne" or "stop-acne")

To get the blog in the search engines, go to pingoat.com and ping it.
You will also want to do an article at digg.com with the blog url address.

However, this is only effective if the competition for the keywords isnt more than 2,000. To find this out, go to google and type in the keywords your thinking of using with quotations around them , like "stop acne". Google will tell you the number of website results. (ie Results 1 - 10 of about 69,600 for "stop acne" will be seen in the top right) Obviously, "stop acne" has too much competition, so you don't want to use it.

Clickbank.com is another free way to advertise affiliate links (they have to be cloaked or clickbank wont accept your post). You will want to advertise them in the "for sale" section or "small biz" section.

Best wishes to everyone in their affiliate marketing. I have become addicted to it.

cbmarketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 03:27 AM   #10
Higgey

Send a message via Skype™ to Higgey
Smile Great info

Thanks for the information above - I'm just starting and it really helps.

Regards,

John.

Higgey is offline   Reply With Quote