Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th February 2008, 12:37 PM   #1
wakewan

Default Connection Between Buying Links And Ranking Drop??

This is my second post on this matter. I got some good feedback before and I am grateful for that. I have been looking for any news on the connection between a drop in rankings for websites that buy links. There's all kinds of information about this issue as it pertains to those that sell links. What I am looking for/wondering is if anyone has discovered a connection between paid links (those that are buying them) and a drop in their rankings, specifically on Google, for their website.

I have experienced a drop in rankings for a fair amount of the major keywords that I am tracking. This drop is anywhere from 3-4 spots to 10-20 spots. Some are just fine and some have really dropped...

I have been going on two main hypotheses: a algo shift, or some kind of punitive action against specific links that I have purchased. I have already elimiated some of the paid links that I felt were suspect and roughly coincided with the drop in rankings, but this could be useless and not even the problem.

Sorry for the long-winded entry. If anyone has some insight please respond.

Thanks,

wakewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th February 2008, 12:47 PM   #2
davidannis

If Google reduces the PR of the site that sold the link that would reduce the PR of any site linked from it, since the algorithm is based on both the number of links and the PR of the sites that contain the links.

I have noticed that it is much harder to get a high Google PR on new site now than it was a couple of years ago. I am wondering if that is because I've put links on sites that sell links (even though I didn't buy there).

davidannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Logan
Administrator

Well david, using your own logic (which I do agree with) those sites you have links on may have had there pr reduced and thus subsequently your non paid link no longer passes the value you previously realized from it. You are spot on, I believe, but just need to also extend it to your own scenario even if a non paid link on a site that does sell links.

Old 15th February 2008, 02:03 PM   #4
IworkFromHOME

If you don't want to have a hard time figuring what actually happen you should stay away from paid link unless the paid link is with nofollow tag. Google won't bother to explain what happen to us if they penalize our site. they just keep it silent. and I agree the way they handle things. if you have to answer all the question online you won't even have time to run your biz effectively.

IworkFromHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 11:09 AM   #5
rick22

Google do not like copy keywords and contents like if any other site have key word like your site your site have to survive.. Or may be your traffic is reducing.

rick22 is offline   Reply With Quote