Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th January 2016, 03:47 AM   #1
louis2008

Default Do You Do Anything To Deal With Your Emotion

I run a small business, I only have a part-time stuff so it's effectively one man bank.

Sometimes it's not because I am not nice, but we know that sometimes some customers are really ridiculous in their demand and attitudes and pushing us to our emotional limit. I am very much angered by those customer but I have no way to relieve.

Emotionally you really want to kick their *** but In reality you can't do this

How do you deal with those emotion? How do you relieve? What do you think to make yourself feel better??

louis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th January 2016, 01:00 PM   #2
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

Stress management is very important for business owners. Overall, you have to strive to not people bother you, but I know. Sometimes that easier said than done.

Working out and vitamins help if your stress is due to physical causes or is taking it's toll. Sleep is very important too. There's always techniques like taking a walk that help as well.

If it's tough for your to manage and you feel you need help, perhaps you could hire a consultant, or group where you can voice the particulars and get help for the actual situations.

I know things happen in any position, but if it's frequent, you should take measure to fix the situation.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Logan
Administrator

Give this book a read, and then let me know how you are doing.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Four-Agree.../dp/1878424319

The Four Agreements are:
Be Impeccable with your Word
Don’t Take Anything Personally
Don’t Make Assumptions
Always Do Your Best

Another helpful thing to do is talk to others who have similar experiences, as you are doing with this thread. Welcome aboard

Old 11th January 2016, 03:47 PM   #4
louis2008

Thanks above

Here I give a couple of example of customers I actually see in my business, how would you guy deal with them?

It's worth to note that my customers are mostly Chinese, not Americans or Europeans. So Please do not make any assumptions about who they are. Because dealing with different races of people could be very different

Customer A:
-He has come to my shop for at least FIVE times or more but never spends a buck and leaves the shop.
-Asking endless questions, asking repeated questions again and again, not like a real man, but like a sissy boy.
-I tried to help him find out what he needs, I tried to ask him questions, but his answers were vague. Very likely he doesn't know what to buy and refuses to let me know what he wants. And it's also likely that he is just for gathering information, not a real buyer.

The problem is --I don't expect him to buy now, but he is annoying me. I let him look around by himself, but he always comes to me and asks endless and repeated questions, making me feel so annoyed.

Customer B:
-This customer made an order in 2014 and paid partially (20%) because it took time to make his product that was custom-made. No re-stock is possible.
-After three months he came back and refused to pay the rest of price, arguing the product was imperfect. The product is for function, not for decoration. He was just being demanding and OCD. He requested 15% further discount to settle down the issue and get the product. I refused because his complaint about my product was unreasonable and he focused on requesting discount, instead of discussing the problems about the product. Now I still keep the product and still mess up with him'' . I was tired and I once thought about giving in, and gave him 15% and closed the file. But his attitude was getting ridiculous and his focus was only on the high refund.

Later on he also threatens me that if I don't offer him 15% discount, he will not pay the outstanding price, and let us LOSE-LOSE, and tells on social network that my shop is scam etc.... I was angered and I refused because I do not surrender any threatening words.

How would you deal with this extreme customer?

Chinese is very ridiculous although I am a Chinese too. But I am always fair to my customer and myself. If they are not fair to me, I would not be nice to them.

From what you understanding above, do you think I should make any changes ?

Old 12th January 2016, 12:15 PM   #5
Logan
Administrator

Of course its your business, so you have to decide to handle customers. Many believe you have to fire the bad customers and keep the good customers just to survive as a business. Ultimately, the customer isn't always right (shhh, don't tell them!).

CUSTOMER A: If you've spent an appropriate amount of time, as you've said, then explain to them you have to take your time for customers who are paying for goods and other tasks required to operate your business for them.

CUSTOMER B: Move on. let it go - you can't please everyone. Focus your energy on the customer's that are respectful and positively impacting your business. You cant control anything others do.

just my two cents, you are the business owner and have to set and maintain boundaries. Be respectful, but focus on your self and business which you do control. If you don't put energy and respond to Customer A & B then will they? I doubt it.

Old 13th January 2016, 05:04 AM   #6
NahidHasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis2008 View Post
I run a small business, I only have a part-time stuff so it's effectively one man bank.

Sometimes it's not because I am not nice, but we know that sometimes some customers are really ridiculous in their demand and attitudes and pushing us to our emotional limit. I am very much angered by those customer but I have no way to relieve.

Emotionally you really want to kick their *** but In reality you can't do this

How do you deal with those emotion? How do you relieve? What do you think to make yourself feel better??
It seems you are having some real issues, but its kind of common in most businesses. Just take a deep breath and find what can you do from your end.

If I were at that position, I would
Customer A:
Actually he is the tough guy to deal with. I dont know will it work or not, but you can try to show desperate selling attitude without providing much information. This is kind of counter attack.

Customer B:
I will suggest to agree with 15% discount. Because the more time you will waste with him, the more energy and comfort you will destroy.

NahidHasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 06:52 AM   #7
HCFGrizzly

Send a message via Skype™ to HCFGrizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis2008 View Post
Thanks above

Here I give a couple of example of customers I actually see in my business, how would you guy deal with them?

It's worth to note that my customers are mostly Chinese, not Americans or Europeans. So Please do not make any assumptions about who they are. Because dealing with different races of people could be very different

Customer A:
-He has come to my shop for at least FIVE times or more but never spends a buck and leaves the shop.
-Asking endless questions, asking repeated questions again and again, not like a real man, but like a sissy boy.
-I tried to help him find out what he needs, I tried to ask him questions, but his answers were vague. Very likely he doesn't know what to buy and refuses to let me know what he wants. And it's also likely that he is just for gathering information, not a real buyer.

The problem is --I don't expect him to buy now, but he is annoying me. I let him look around by himself, but he always comes to me and asks endless and repeated questions, making me feel so annoyed.

Customer B:
-This customer made an order in 2014 and paid partially (20%) because it took time to make his product that was custom-made. No re-stock is possible.
-After three months he came back and refused to pay the rest of price, arguing the product was imperfect. The product is for function, not for decoration. He was just being demanding and OCD. He requested 15% further discount to settle down the issue and get the product. I refused because his complaint about my product was unreasonable and he focused on requesting discount, instead of discussing the problems about the product. Now I still keep the product and still mess up with him'' . I was tired and I once thought about giving in, and gave him 15% and closed the file. But his attitude was getting ridiculous and his focus was only on the high refund.

Later on he also threatens me that if I don't offer him 15% discount, he will not pay the outstanding price, and let us LOSE-LOSE, and tells on social network that my shop is scam etc.... I was angered and I refused because I do not surrender any threatening words.

How would you deal with this extreme customer?

Chinese is very ridiculous although I am a Chinese too. But I am always fair to my customer and myself. If they are not fair to me, I would not be nice to them.

From what you understanding above, do you think I should make any changes ?

Trust me, this kind of customers aren`t different depending on origin or culture. My dad has a bike shop and he is faced with these type of clients every day.
He takes a long bike ride at the end of every day to relieve stress.
Clients will always ask questions, the problem is when they ask questions, find out the information they need and then buy from somewhere else.
You will have to be patient with them, but also point out to them that you are busy and can`t stay all day after them.
As for the as*hole that doesn`t want the product I think that you should take the loss and not give him a discount just keep the product, and in the future just ask for a 50% advance for a custom made product.

What works out for me to relieve stress: Snowboarding (unfortunately I have time to do it once every 2 weeks), walking alone and Yoga.

Old 15th January 2016, 02:26 PM   #8
louis2008

Hi all. I am the thread starter. Thanks for all the advice.

I forgot to mention Customer C, which is also the most common troublesome customer I encounter.

How would you deal with Customer C?

Customer C is usually the customer who comes with fair or unfriendly attitude, while you are sincere in helping him. At the end of the day, he understands your products and he is interested in it. But he is telling you that, Oh Sorry you are selling at $100. But you should sell it to me at $40 or $30.

Assume $100 is undoubtedly reasonable. $40 or $30 is definitely impossible, everybody else is selling at $100, you are getting it at $80 or $90.

In this case, very often I will be angered and I think most of you will be angered too. It's not because I don't get the sale, I don't care $$ that much. But it's because I feel like being fooled.

What do you think ? How would you deal with your emotion ?? What would you do / think to help yourself feeling less angry??

Old 18th January 2016, 01:05 PM   #9
Logan
Administrator

Um, selling something for $40 that costs you $80? thats just not rational. no reason to get angry, not every potential customer is qualified. For example, many don't have enough money.

Old 26th January 2016, 12:34 AM   #10
jaynorth

Yes it is true that stress management does helps a lot to deal with stated condition. Since any rude behavior on your part, can spoil your image in the market. That is why, controlling temper & at the same time doing every bit to relax the mind is important. Since customers are the channel through whom we can take our business to a new height.

jaynorth is offline   Reply With Quote