Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th March 2009, 11:19 PM   #1
marianto

Question Selling Print Ads

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping there's someone out there who can give me a little guidance.

I'm starting up a tourist map publishing business. Basically, I design, print and distribute (free) maps of a popular south Florida destination. Revenue is earned from selling display ad space to local businesses. I'm planning to hire a freelance advertising rep to sell the ads. Iv'e got 35-40 spaces to fill.

Has anyone done this before?

How long is it likely to take to sell all the ads?
Is it okay to accept checks only or should I also accept credit cards?
Will I need to provide printed material (like a media kit) for my sales rep to present?
Are there any other marketing tips that anyone could suggest?

As you can tell I'm brand new at this. I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks,

marianto is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th March 2009, 03:36 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Personally, I haven't, but I'm sure somebody's done something similar somewhere. It seems kinda like the old idea of selling ad spaces on paper placemats that get used in local diners.

Can't help you with how long it will take to sell out your ad inventory. I think that would depend at least in part on how good your advertising rep is.

It's OK to accept whatever payment methods you choose -- but in general the more different payment methods you accept, the more likely it is you'll be able to close the sale. If somebody has "iffy" cash flow at the moment, or if they're holding on to cash for some reason, they may prefer to pay with a credit card so they can spread out the expense.

When it comes to marketing collateral, generally speaking: the more the merrier. There are lots more companies that mess up by not offering enough information to allow their prospect to make a decision than by offering too much.

If you're working with an experienced ad rep (which, since you're new, you probably should be -- otherwise, if you're both new, it's like the blind leading the blind), talk to them about what sorts of materials and information your target customers normally find useful/compelling. I can guess, for instance, they're going to want information about where you have distribution agreements, how many maps you think you'll be able to "move" over the course of their ad run -- basically the type and scope of coverage they'll get for their money.

You might also want to get in touch with your local SCORE office. They can hook you up with a business mentor who might be able to give you more specific advice (and it doesn't cost anything). Their website (www.score.org) also offers a lot of great, free, general-level information about starting a new business.

Good luck!

--Torka

Old 9th April 2009, 03:11 AM   #3
sikanderhayat

Default selling print ads

selling print ads is not a comfortable idea . thats what i think ...

sikanderhayat is offline   Reply With Quote