Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th March 2005, 03:50 PM   #1
! !

Lightbulb Image "Optimization" - hidden Traffic Treasure

If one has an e-commerce site that sells products - or just a FAN site
Image Optimization can add an extra dimension of Valid Traffic to a site.

It now appears that besides the ALT tags, and the NAME of the image - Google is using the nearby text as added algo information.

Someone who is searching for a product may very well go to the IMAGE directory to get a visual representation of whether they have the right name or the right TYPE of product, If they do click on it - the corresponding Web site appears in a frame underneath.

If the page is alluring enough, they may just browse it and examine the items further.

Very pleasantly surprise at the amount of extra traffic and sales received via the initial Image searches.

Last edited by ! !; 20th March 2005 at 04:40 PM.
! ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd March 2005, 10:01 AM   #2
marc_whlr

I read an article on that at cnet, I'll go look for that link and post it here...

It is true you do get some traffic for sure...

marc_whlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2005, 07:29 PM   #3
BigP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_whlr
I read an article on that at cnet, I'll go look for that link and post it here...

It is true you do get some traffic for sure...

Marc - I'd really like to read that article. Let us know when you find it!

BigP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2005, 11:45 PM   #4
bragadocchio
VIP Contributor

If the image is relevant to the topic of the page, then using something like a caption can also be a good idea.

It is possible that the text near an image can help on an image search, and that a caption and an alt attribute that does a good job of providing an "alternate description" of the image used can also help with optimization of a page for a normal text search in the search engines, too.

Here's what Google says about how they index images on their Google Frequently Asked Questions: Image Search page:

Quote:
How does image search work?

Google analyzes the text on the page adjacent to the image, the image caption and dozens of other factors to determine the image content. Google also uses sophisticated algorithms to remove duplicates and ensure that the highest quality images are presented first in your results.

Old 22nd April 2005, 01:02 PM   #5
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I looked back at my robots.txt file and notice that I exclude my images directory from getting spidered. Not sure why I did that, but I never thought that traffic (or conversions) would be delivered to my site via image search. I'd be interested in hearing specifics on how optimizing for image search has helped.

Old 22nd April 2005, 06:04 PM   #6
! !

Thumbs up

Analyzing the Web site referrers in the traffic-tracking software shows where the visitor was REFERRED from...

Following those visitors' PATH (another option available with sophisticated tracking software) diplayed a number of sales resulting from the initial entries into the site.

Not as much as the regular SERPs - but every sale helps

Google and Yahoo uses somewhat similar ALGOs when in image relevancy - so aceing both of them really can add enourmous traffic

In cases of FAN sites (eg The Beatles) if you have affilliate links with enticing products or collectbles (eg Beatles Posters) - traffic coming directly to that page can add additional sales potential.

Ironically, even audio and video searches can have impact if you have a RELATED product or service being pushed.

! ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 11:26 AM   #7
yellowwing
VIP Contributor

I've uses the image named after the main keyword, with good similar themed alt attribute. That seems to get ranking on Image searches. But my site is about professional services. I've had no converts from images.

I did find out last year that a financial company had been linking directly to one of my images for their monthly inter-office newsletter.

Part of me wanted to be devious and replace the image with something else. But I went ahead and edited the hijacked image to also include "Courtesy of YWG Web" Free advertising.

(But I could have really embarrassed their newsletter writer! )

yellowwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 12:17 PM   #8
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

c'mon... if you're going to steal an image, at least have the decency to load it on your own server.

Seriously, its unbelievable to me that someone would do that.