Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th April 2010, 07:50 AM   #11
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlilly View Post
... These days everyone is a social media strategist.
Read a blog post that touches on this topic as it applies to the social media world:

Combating Social Media Inertia
The post is from Sharon Markovsky (sharonmarkovsky) who I've gotten to know through Twitter. Here's an excerpt:
"I have had many bad experiences with ad agencies who bill themselves as social media experts, but who are instead social media tourists. My complaint with these ad agencies stems from their lack of practicing what they preach. They tell you that you have to actively engage people on a one-to-one basis on twitter and other social media sites. Sounds good, but are the agencies doing that on a consistent basis? Hmmm…not as far as I can tell. They will also tell you that to be viewed as an expert and thus to be successful in social media, you need to actively blog..even if no one is listening. Ok, got it. So where’s there blog? Why aren’t they blogging every day? They don’t have the resources they tell me." (emphasis mine)
So, another prime example of companies selling themselves as experts who can't even back up their claim to that status.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th May 2010, 04:22 PM   #12
bryanfuller

The things is SEO is most important thing for online business concern that's why you see everybody is an SEO.

bryanfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 10:29 PM   #13
gotlivechat

I think the main problem is the barrier to entry is practically non-existent -- it doesn't take but a few bucks/pesos/euros/etc. to set up a website and call yourself a SEO expert. I'm not aware of any 'degrees' or 'certifications', so what's to stop anyone from going into that business?

Old 17th May 2010, 05:42 AM   #14
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

@Robert LOL I should rant more often yes

It seems this thread got a little busy, my ranting brought some attention, glad you all agree and it sure made me feel better

xxxxxx

Old 17th May 2010, 08:09 AM   #15
Sahan Asad

Send a message via Skype™ to Sahan Asad

If you going to use SEO companies to rank your site ALWAYS ask for their portfolios.

Also contact few of the site owners if they have received any services from that company.

Sahan Asad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 09:04 PM   #16
cabdziner

New to this forum but here is my .02

I think that many people get a little info, play with it for a while, then deem themselves an expert.

Most people don't realize that SEO is an ongoing campaign that changes frequently.

My outlook on SEO is to acquire quality traffic. It is built on content and solid optimization practices that require constant monitoring.

I cringe whenever I see someone "Guarantee" page 1 rankings.

cabdziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 09:24 AM   #17
bradmarcus

Send a message via Skype™ to bradmarcus

A very good rant. I aman SEO expert because I have delivered proven results and I keep up on all the latest news and strategies. There are so many fly-by-night "SEO" companies, it makes my head spi. I went to the SES show in New York with a friend who commented that he couldn't believe how many companies there were, all promising page 1 Google for any keyword.

Anyone can make a claim, don't hire someone until they can back it up.

bradmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:17 AM   #18
tiresmokindad

Default Re: Why Is Everyone An SEO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Read a blog post that touches on this topic as it applies to the social media world:

Combating Social Media Inertia
The post is from Sharon Markovsky (sharonmarkovsky) who I've gotten to know through Twitter. Here's an excerpt:
"I have had many bad experiences with ad agencies who bill themselves as social media experts, but who are instead social media tourists. My complaint with these ad agencies stems from their lack of practicing what they preach. They tell you that you have to actively engage people on a one-to-one basis on twitter and other social media sites. Sounds good, but are the agencies doing that on a consistent basis? Hmmm…not as far as I can tell. They will also tell you that to be viewed as an expert and thus to be successful in social media, you need to actively blog..even if no one is listening. Ok, got it. So where’s there blog? Why aren’t they blogging every day? They don’t have the resources they tell me." (emphasis mine)
So, another prime example of companies selling themselves as experts who can't even back up their claim to that status.

Yes I agree. Most of the agencies offering for just a little work but higher pay. I think they are not doing a standard works.

tiresmokindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 01:16 PM   #19
Social-Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
Hola

I need a little rant, I am getting very frustrated with some of the people I am meeting - majority of people in the web design area all market themselves as SEOs, yet I look at their website and think "well where is it then" - their title tags are not constructed properly and their link navigation is practically zero, yet here they are saying "I can do SEO".

I have even had someone tell me recently that keyword research looks simplistic! Perhaps it is but finding the right keywords to target is not an easy task in my opinion. Target the wrong words without knowing and the end result is zero sales and zero ranks.

It winds me up when I have spent a few years learning my trade so I can offer professional services to my clients to have a newbie come along and pretend that it is all easy.

I have met others who have like 50+ websites all with adsense and these are supposed to be business websites and they try to tell me they are earning anything from 10$ to $20 a day - I don´t see how, the keywords being targeted are low traffic and worth 0 so therefore not enough people to come and click the ads!

So, why do people pretend to be SEOs and does it annoy you, the professional? Or is it just me who has a rant every now and then.

I mean, so what, let them make the mistakes but it is the customers I feel sorry for, they get lead down the wrong path, spend a ton of money and wonder why they are not selling anything!

Right, ranting over and thanks for listening. I will be interested in the replies

Simone
Yes it annoys me to no end... I've found that these "SEO experts" who really don't know diddly tend to fall into two categories:

1) As you described they are web designers "claiming" to be SEOs or
2) They are people in poor, third world countries that have learned a few buzzwords about SEO and see it as way to make an above average wage for their country with little to no investment in time, money, learning, etc.

In BOTH cases, they give the entire profession a bad name IMO.

Web designers "claim" to be SEOs because... well lets face it... no business owner with half a brain wants a new web site designed by someone who knows absolutely nothing about SEO. So they all "claim" to just because they know they won't get the marketing gigs without saying they know it.

The people in 3rd world countries who are claiming to be SEOs... while I feel bad that their countries have a low standard of living and low annual incomes... really make me just as mad.

Both of these types of so called "SEO experts" give the industry as a whole a bad name and make legitimate SEOs have an even harder time finding work. I get all of my clients by referral so it doesn't really affect me that much... but I am constantly cleaning up behind them.

Social-Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:38 AM   #20
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

I too get work by referral as they see my results and want some of the action and quite rightly so

But I spend a lot of my time cleaning up just like you, they come to me with some CMS system which is piece of poo, and all the SEO did for them was meta data! jeeez

Some of these non SEOs are also being paid a lot of money, one company I took over from was spending 3K€ a month with a guy who was being trained by me!!!!!!!!! He came to me because he knew he was out of his depth and wanted to keep his job so I said I would train him and show him the error of his ways.

By the time they realised he was pulling the wool over their eyes, they found out who I was (stupid boy gave them my invoice!), he was booted out and I continued from there, however, it was in such a mess we had to start over.

18K can you believe and still no sales - I don´t know how these people sleep at night!

I live on the coast of southern Spain and it is rife here, there are so many people claiming to be something in the IT line of work and clearly they are not that at all, it frustrates me so much but I cannot help them all as I am just little ole me who works with a programmer (PHP C+, C++), we do all bespoke websites, we do not use CMS (I cannot stand CMS websites), all the programming is written from scratch by us and we have our own PHP library functions, SEO in mind every time we build a website and layout.

Such as life I guess, us pros are just going to have keep helping as many small businesses as we can

Nutty