Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th May 2009, 11:28 PM   #1
gjohnson85

Default New Website...Pls Help

Hey guys,

I just set up my new ecommerce website. I was told to do "seo" in order to promote it. How do I start?

Thanks

gjohnson85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th May 2009, 12:38 PM   #2
homebizseo.com
VIP Contributor

What's your keyword phrase for the site?

Old 16th May 2009, 09:39 PM   #3
virtualvpm

SEO helps to define your site and its products, by using keywords that define your products and services so that your site will be picked up by the Search Engines. There are many optimization techniques that help to accomplish this, and unless you are tech savvy yourself, is generally best left to a person or company that is highly skilled in this area. There are MANY companies that do this, just be sure to find one that fits your goals and budget.

Also, this is only ONE part of the ingredients in promoting your website successfully. Some other ways of promoting your website is through social media platforms, such as facebook, myspace, etc. Also, depending on what your product and service is, you may consider buying advertising space, keywords, etc...

In all of these cases, it is very important that you create a well thought out marketing plan, have a budget in mind to execute your plan, and set goals and milestones and measure your results against those so that you constantly know where you are and where you want to be in x amount of time.

virtualvpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 07:50 AM   #4
stephen186

Focus on your goals first. I mean what do you want to achieve with this ecommerce website. Who is your target audience?
Then first step is to optimize your webpages. Includes unique title and catchy description.

then look for some quality backlinks from other websites or using blogs commenting, article submission, social optimization.

stephen186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 12:13 PM   #5
christysmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohnson85 View Post
Hey guys,

I just set up my new ecommerce website. I was told to do "seo" in order to promote it. How do I start?

Thanks
Well SEO will help your site for sure, but you need to identify few targets first, i.e. within what time period you need x number of visitors and x number of sales or so.... once you're done with this analysis.... then think of not only SEO but all other possible ways, that may help ... SEO will not give you results in short run, you'll have to wait for these results... so think of PPC, affiliate marketind etc as well!

christysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 02:37 AM   #6
Payroll Tampa

SEO is definitely helps to your business.

Payroll Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 04:16 AM   #7
Rowena Lee

To beginners like you I think it's hard to explain it here. I guess you need to hire tutorials for you to be fully understand how the SEO works and how it affects your online business.

Rowena Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 06:29 PM   #8
jmacek07

2nd post and his sig is an affiliate link for making money on the internet? I have a sneaking suspicion he might not really need SEO help?

jmacek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:27 AM   #9
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

First you must define what keywords you are going to target.The Google keyword tool ( https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal )can help you determine the traffic and competition of your keyword.

The next step is to write content based on your keyword and build links back to your site.

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 07:01 AM   #10
Jacksonbaran

Hi your first seo tactics you have done on page seo.. means optimize meta tag, w3c, and content optimization...

Jacksonbaran is offline   Reply With Quote