Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd August 2009, 11:58 PM   #1
francis_elkin

Default SEO For Pictures?

While everyone is clamouring to be best ranked for sites, what about pictures? Most SERPS have several filter options like blogs, pictures, news etc. And they all link somewhere.

What do you think of targeting picture rankings? Let's say the first page for "dogs" has 10 of your pictures, going back to your site, would that be equal to being ranked #1 for "dogs" for sites?

francis_elkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th August 2009, 01:58 AM   #2
BioSolutions

I am pretty new to the whole SEO world, but I think this is a very interesting concept. I'm sure you are not the 1st to bring it up, but I can't remember anyone mentioning it before. I say you try it and see what happens. Seems like it would work...Good luck!

BioSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 03:44 PM   #3
SBMarketingGuy

To optimize for pictures make sure you have properly tagged the <alt> tags for those pictures with the keywords you want to rank the picture for. The filename, surrounding text as well as the <title>, <h1>, and other standard on-page tags should be properly labeled as well. The relevancy of both your site and the picture tags will determine whether or not Google Image search ranks your image.

For buttons, arrows, and graphics that have nothing to do with your keywords they should be named as "1.jpg" and the alt tag should be "1". Google will penalize you if you try to be slick and put your SEO terms in those graphics.

SBMarketingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 01:45 AM   #4
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

I would rather suggest you to use alt tag with care and cautions. You should use a keyword just for the sake of it because sooner or later it will tagged as spam. Better to get stick to the nature of the image and not use any irrelevant keywords for manipulating the ranking of search engine optimization.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 10:10 AM   #5
AirForce1

Send a message via MSN to AirForce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_elkin View Post
While everyone is clamouring to be best ranked for sites, what about pictures? Most SERPS have several filter options like blogs, pictures, news etc. And they all link somewhere.

What do you think of targeting picture rankings? Let's say the first page for "dogs" has 10 of your pictures, going back to your site, would that be equal to being ranked #1 for "dogs" for sites?
Hi, francis

I think you should use alt attributes for your images and definitely ranking no.1 in image engine would not equal to no.1 in general engine. IMO.

AirForce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 03:01 AM   #6
dorothykinder

Yeah,

This concept of ranking 1st in image search engine is good, i think if we start following these unique ways of generating traffic to the images then definitely there will be more people visiting the images rather than site.

Who knows that in the coming future people might search for Image related based search.

dorothykinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 05:19 AM   #7
SanWay
VIP Contributor

Image optimization should be paid enough attention to while doing SEO. I noticed big changes after changing the title of the picture from Pic.1 to 'A beautiful lady on the beach'.

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 07:59 PM   #8
CoryHuff

Send a message via AIM to CoryHuff

Image optimization is great, if your business has something to do with images, or if you can get some targeted traffic somehow. Remember that just ranking and getting traffic is not enough. You need the right traffic.

I agree with the already mentioned techniques and would also add that Google will look at on-page mentions of images as well. If you are trying to rank an image, you want to put descriptive text on the same page as the image (assuming you can do it in a way that makes sense).

Using Flickr, Stumbleupon and other sharing sites are also great ways to net more links and traffic.

CoryHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 02:01 PM   #9
ruchi

If you want image optimization then its very necessary that use proper ALT tag in all your images.

ruchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 06:41 AM   #10
JanBaptysta

How i can add picture instead of comments.
Plz. give me tips. Thanks in advance

dallas employment attorney
dallas discrimination attorney

Last edited by JanBaptysta; 18th January 2010 at 06:46 AM.
JanBaptysta is offline   Reply With Quote