Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th April 2011, 05:26 PM   #1
m1522632

Default Service That Allows Small Investors To Invest Into Startups

I want to invest a small amount of money 5-10K into one or several startups in exchange for the share in the company. I would be also interested to contribute to the startups I invested into with my experience or connections/contacts if it's applicable.

Are there any services/companies that allow me to do this at this moment?

Note: this service should be available for regular people with relatively small amount of money but not for big investors and venture capital companies.

If it such a thing doesn't exist now... what problems would I face if I decide to build it myself?

Thank you

m1522632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 30th April 2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Runum

I am looking into the same thing myself. I have begun building a checklist of facts/questions I have to know to be satisfied enough to invest in a business. I have been looking at businesses online through Google search and Craigslist. There seems to be a lot of demand out there but not a lot of effective communicating from either the investors or business owners.

I suspect there is not a one stop shopping place for investors due to Fed regulations and required disclosures.

Runum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 05:26 PM   #3
m1522632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runum View Post
I am looking into the same thing myself. I have begun building a checklist of facts/questions I have to know to be satisfied enough to invest in a business. I have been looking at businesses online through Google search and Craigslist. There seems to be a lot of demand out there but not a lot of effective communicating from either the investors or business owners.

I suspect there is not a one stop shopping place for investors due to Fed regulations and required disclosures.
Hey, just found my old post...

what did you end up with? Have you tried any crowdfunding web sites?

m1522632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Rachelz

Default Business Angels

If I understand your post correctly, then you should google 'Business Angels'.

Wikipedia writes about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_investor

You can invest whatever you want, and be as involved as you want in the company you invest into. You can search for companies seeking investment (and find out all about their company), or you can list yourself as looking to invest and have people seeking investment contact you instead...

Old 27th January 2012, 12:00 PM   #5
lenny

Red face

Angeles Investors are a Rip off they ask for a fee and they just don't help you at all. any other ideas??

lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 01:34 AM   #6
topfilings

Prosper.com is a popular website for lending money to startups and entrepenuers. Not sure if you can gain a percentage of a company, but you can earn a decent interest rate...

topfilings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 11:27 PM   #7
cfoservices

Default Crowd Funding

There is a new concept that is catching on called Crowd Funding. It is my understanding that it was recently signed into law. I do not know enough about it to recommend it as I am leery about the ramifications of such a concept. However to learn more or at least start the research process go to this site:

http://crowdfunder.com/equity-crowdf...fographic.html