Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th January 2012, 03:05 PM   #1
UsedToLoveH.E.R

Default Tips, Comments, Help

Hey guys, I was thinking of starting a t-shirt line. I do got ideas and it's just I'd like to hear peoples thoughts about it.

I'd like to start to a line called something like, Used To Love H.E.R. As I am a old school hip hop fan, Id like to put old school artists and/or quotes on these shirts. Also, H.E.R. stands for Hearing Her Every Rhyme or Hip Hop in its Essence is Real.

What do you guys think?

Any tips, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

UsedToLoveH.E.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th January 2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Rachelz

Default Ohhh..The Beatles

My favourite t-shirt of all time was a picture of John Lennon and underneath 'all you need is love'. It faded over time so I threw it out, but people still have a really strong connection to wearing t-shirts that actually mean something to them.

Give it a go. Design your line (be wary of copyright and royalties for images and song quotes, etc), get your image templates together, find a t-shirt factory in china and have them stencil the images on. Only buy one sample of each shirt though. It might cost you an arm and a leg for such a low quantity (and they charge a 'template' fee for the first one you do), but better than losing thousands and having tons of stock if you get stuck in the future.

Create a niche webiste, have professional photos taken of each of your t-shirts and upload them. Set yourself a reasonable delivery date to customers, and see if the chinese factory will "drop-ship" the product for you (direct to the customer). You will be working with 0 profit to begin with because you may charge $20 per t-shirt and the factory will charge you $20 to make a single shirt and ship it. Calculate how long you can operate at 0 profit until you have sufficient quantities to reduce your buy price from the factory. For example, an order of 5000 might bring each t-shirt down to $5.

Not sure whereabouts you live, but you could source local printing companies (and buy the t-shirts locally), but the designs on the front would have to be spectacular (so you can charge enough per unit to still make a profit).

As with any product business, the more you make / buy - the cheaper they get and the more profit you make.

Best of luck!

Old 19th January 2012, 10:36 PM   #3
snellexperts

I love the idea actually! I know that a lot of hip hop fans are pretty fond of the early stuff like that, so I say go for it...at the very least you will be left with some pretty sweet shirts lol.

snellexperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 12:19 PM   #4
SanWay
VIP Contributor

The idea is good if you want to realise it as a hobby but I think you won't get much money from it since there are many competitors in the market.

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 07:13 AM   #5
paulplan2profit

Default It is up to you

There are lots of people with ideas. It is what you DO with the idea that counts. Take your time and think things through. Do not listen to the naysayers. Talk to people who have successfully launched businesses like the one you are contemplating.

Most people do nothing. They talk to the wrong people and don't do enough work, BEFORE they start.

Keep exploring and find a mentor to help you through the process.

paulplan2profit is offline   Reply With Quote