Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th November 2011, 04:38 PM   #1
trn579s

Default Paralysis By Analysis... Starting An Online Business But Worrying About Competition.

A little about me... I'm a full time web applications developer for a huge multi-national business. I've been there for 4 years and this job was always supposed to be a solid, stable income while I built my side business up. Its been 4 years, and that side business is still 'under development'.

I'm pretty lucky in that I work in software development and can do any kind of web development needed. I'm not much on design, but am good at customizing templates :-) I've tossed around the idea of creating a time and attendances tracking website, which I'll charge employers per user per month to use. It'll be a simple clock in / clock out website with automated reporting. I won't get down into the compensation piece, but rather just simply tabulate time worked and report on it.

The issue is I get worried about the amount of competition out there. Search for time and attendance website on google and there are tons of them. I plan on really focusing on marketing this to niche markets, and allowing the user ultimate flexibility in how they use the system... that is how I'll differentiate my service.

Has anyone else out there overcome this paralysis by analysis? Should I just take an inventory of the competition and just push forward? Obviously the 'big guys' in this field have teams of developers working on this so I cannot compete, but I'm also coming in a lot cheaper than they are and aiming more at small businesses, like 50 employees or less.

I'm finding there is no way to tell how many customers these websites have... so my research doesn't really get me any estimates.

Thanks,

Tom

trn579s is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th November 2011, 02:08 PM   #2
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

Hi

I think the solution to analysis paralysis is either

1. Have a tried and true method of determining whatever factors are pertinent and trust it.

or

2. Do the best you can to think of all barriers to success, research and test for them, come up with a plan to eliminate them, then weigh the pros and cons. If you choose to go forward, work the plan you came up with and be prepared to be flexible. If you need to make adjustments, do so along the way. Don't beat yourself up if something presents itself that you may not have accounted for, yet learn from the experience.

Most of all, continue to come up with new and innovative ideas to replace unworkable ones.

That's the best way to overcome analysis paralysis, in my experience.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Rachelz

Default Read this article

Hi Tom,

Check out this article. It might help.

Best of luck...

Rachelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 08:57 PM   #4
trn579s

Default Thanks

Thanks DeniseTaylor and Rachelz for your insight. I do like your ideas of taking stock of what you have to offer, what you can do better than your competition, doing your research (due diligence) then moving forward with a plan. I do believe that competition is good for business, and that certainly means you can take your slice of the pie if you have a plan and can execute.

Old 22nd December 2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Safeserps

Default Strange but true

The competition is the key to your success.

Firstly, high competition usually means high rewards and secondly, the competition a going to provide you all the answers as to what you have to provide for the visitors to your site.

They will also show you the best designs, the best choice of keywords and the best method to achieve PPC success.

It's all been done before, so do as any other good Internet business does and copy the best, but do it just a little better.

Tony

Safeserps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:23 AM   #6
trn579s

Thanks Tony, I am coming to realize your point as I dig deeper into researching the competition. Of course there are some big competitors out there with teams of developers that a single personal dev company really cannot compete with, but they are targeting large corps with large $$.

I've put plans into action and have actually made some good progress in development. I have given myself a May 1st go-live date so that should help keep my nose to the grindstone.

If you think about it, in my career field (web applications development), this is a no-lose situation for me. Every time you code another project you learn something new, hone your skills, and at the very least you have a showpiece to show potential clients/employers. Having recently sat on the other side of the interview desk, I would have been completely impressed if a developer had shown me some of their work instead of just describing it.

Thanks for everyone's input, it was much appreciated.

Tom

Old 22nd December 2011, 11:36 AM   #7
Safeserps

Default Easy competitor research

Semrush is very good at giving you competitor information, both organic and PPC.

As for Web Developers, a great choice.

Most of my clients are always on the lookout for new developers if they're any good.

Last edited by Safeserps; 22nd December 2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Addendum.
Safeserps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 11:34 PM   #8
Rachelz

Smile Link change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelz View Post
Hi Tom,

Check out this article. It might help.

Best of luck...

Sorry guys, the link to that article has changed. If you want to have a read, click here.

Thanks