Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st November 2011, 04:32 AM   #11
Section1

Hi,

I see you also have interest in a lot of outdoor activities as well so how about combining the whole lot and blog about them, maybe include affiliate links of places where you can try these activities, at the end of the day you have to make it your own, its the unique blogs/websites that stand out, don't be affraid to try something a little different, the imagination is one of your most powerful tools.

Also I wouldn't restrict yourself to one blog/site, buy multiple domains, you can either copy across what you have from one to another or make each one different, maybe try creating a different one for different abilities etc...

The web has endless potential (hence the marketing costs), it's all about what people will make it.

Good luck and I hope you manage to decide on something that is right for you.

Section1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st November 2011, 12:00 PM   #12
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

Hi PaulPaul

You have some valuable knowledge and skills. If I were you, I would use them someone to build an online business. Sounds like IT burned you out, which I can understand. But you could create an information site where you supply information people need. Since you are online, you don't have to get pulled out of bed in the middle of the night.

If you get creative, you could sell this knowledge - without having to do the hands on work yourself. People will pay for knowledge and if you brainstorm keywords, looking for something in your knowledge base that people are looking for, but few are doing, you may find something you can do/sell right in your own back yard.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 04:09 PM   #13
paulpaul

Default Thanks

Thanks Yayas, Denise, Section1,

I'll look into some of these options and see what I can come up with. Right now I'm swinging towards the fitness realm, since I enjoy using technology but really got burned out on supporting it after 20 years. In spite of being an aging athlete, I still read all sorts of articles about martial arts and fitness just for fun, whereas I usually only read a technology related manual or article to specifically find out how to do something or solve a problem. I kind of enjoy creating websites because of the creative aspect involved with it, but figuring out the technical issues is strictly a means to an ends for me.

Paul

Last edited by paulpaul; 21st November 2011 at 04:31 PM.
paulpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 09:07 PM   #14
roof cleaning

Default Roof Cleaning Business

The roof cleaning business is a great business to start.
It is easy to learn how to clean roofs, start up costs are low, and demand is high.

roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 08:21 PM   #15
Rachelz

Default You'd be selling yourself short!

Hi paul paul,

I really think a simple website, blog or any type of freelancing would be selling yourself short.

With the skills you obviously have in tapping into your local community (through teaching and getting people to hire you in your previous small businesses), I think you should consider:

(1) starting a small local business
(2) creating a website that represents that business (not just a random blog)
(3) determining ways to grow that business - by branching out in your local business and on your website.

Think outside the square. For example:

Start a martial arts adventure program in your local area - for different age groups. Everyone learns martial arts in a room with a mat...why don't you take it outdoors? Scale a mountain and learn martial arts along the way, take a kayaking trip and make martial arts a part of it. This obviously depends on where you live, but it could apply to a beach, walking track or even a local park.
Book in people of various ages and make the program relevant to their age group. You might have a series of outings (i.e.: 4 week program - once per week), or just one outing and charge per person for the day.
You could market your programs through local adventure clothing stores, or even give a "referral fee" to local martial arts studios that provide referrals.

Such an idea may take a physical toll at first, but you could make pretty decent money from each outing and rest in between. Then consider hiring employees and just managing the bookings or admin side.

Develop a website that not only advertises your service, but allows your customers to blog about their experience and connect with other people they may have met on their adventure.

As you make more money and move more towards the admin side, consider expanding into other areas in your state, etc.

Just an idea - but the point is to think outside the square. You have a lot to offer, and my bet is you could a lot more money (and a lot faster) by capitalising on your local community (and building your website as a side project).

Rachelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 10:31 PM   #16
Easyang

Hello,

I am also seeking idea here, online is one of directions, originally I though about selling something through social media, but not receiving very good feedback from here, may need brain storm more

Easyang is offline   Reply With Quote