Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th November 2008, 08:30 PM   #1
wanrey

Default If I Don't Join Social Media Sites ?

Are there any equally good avenues for website exposure other than social media sites.....I am not cut out for them, not very extrovert , "mum always said not to talk to strangers" well it kinda stuck. I don't know anyone that belongs to any of these sites. Would have no friends or contacts on such places. Joined one once as my daughter wanted "me!" to figure out how it worked, within 12 hours was inundated with people requesting to be my "friend" ,none possibly with the exception of one really weird guy had even read what I had posted, they just wanted a link to their little bit of the site added to mine, I know that's the point but thought it was also that the people you asked to become your friend had shared interests things in common. So I am really put off social media sites now.

Apart from that my website is very new I am concentrating on many things particularly some of the pages that have lots of images on I made the mistake of using an old very simple wysiwyg website builder that I employed years ago because it was so basic ,as a way a friend of mine who's memory centers were affected by a stroke,could handle his own web page, it was easy for him to learn and make changes to his pages himself.Never thought before I used it to see if the html it created was good or current. When I ran a page through WC3 validator it turned up many errors , like to use pictorial editor for image pages so found the latest version of the old one converted main page and checked it in validator only showed one error,and that one is not one I can fix as it really doesn't exist claims header tag isn't closed but it is.
Anyway I'm waffling (its a personal flaw) with all my pages to redo , a blog to keep up, articles and press releases to write ,2 kids, a husband ,a dog a cat , a house and all the rest of life, where an I going to find the time for social media sites. My ultimate goal is to make sales not friends, wouldn't my time be better employed in any of the other activities ,or is it your honest opinion that I should give up sleeping and make the time.

percentage wise how much harder will it be to promote my site and get sales not just visitors if I don't

wanrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th November 2008, 04:19 AM   #2
Doug

Social media sites are one element in your link building / traffic generation strategy. Other being link exchange , blog commenting , directory submission , organic seo and ppc . But I reckon its a necessary element and the beauty of social media is its free - only cost being your time.

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 09:35 AM   #3
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr
Default All sites are not the same

Which one caused you to get bombarded?

Old 7th November 2008, 09:48 AM   #4
chesa7

Writing and submitting articles is an excellent way to build links and get exposure.

chesa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 01:24 PM   #5
bdorland

Here's a few relevant articles that may help you prioritize the multitude of things that you are trying to tackle...

Too Many Social Networking Sites...Too Little Time?

Do It Yourself Search Engine Optimization - 8 Non-Technical SEO Techniques to Help You Build Website Traffic

On a sidenote wanrey, I'm actually a little surprised about your comment that you're "not very extroverted" and therefore don't like the online social networking space. It surprises me because I've had many conversations with your fellow introverts and they've indicated that they absolutely love online social networking because traditional face-to-face networking is much more difficult for them.

Here's another article that might shed some additional light: Introverts & Extroverts in Business

Good Luck in whatever you end up doing!

bdorland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 05:05 PM   #6
dyniam

Default That's why there are guys like us :)

We create, manage, and act on a company's behalf to market and network for them on social media sites like myspace. Most people just use us cause they don't want to put the time in, but I suppose your dilemma would fit in as well.

dyniam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 05:13 AM   #7
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

Try blog commenting instead, it works.I recently found a list of the best internet marketing blogs.So, if you are an internet marketer start from #1 on the list, write useful comments on the blogs.

http://www.winningtheweb.com/im-top-blogs/

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 09:32 PM   #8
YvetteMarie

Thanks Tom for the list of blogs. That is a great list and will be very helpful. I have been trying to find some good blogs to post on with Google alerts, but I have been mostly coming up with junk

Yvette

YvetteMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

Yvette, you will really pick up on targeted traffic and get links back to your site by commenting on blogs.Everyone wins, the blog owner gets fresh content and you will get traffic.

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 04:44 AM   #10
revenue4u

Send a message via Skype™ to revenue4u

Things like blog commenting and forum posting can get your site a few links but Matt Cutts from Google really favors links from authority sites and link exchanges with niche sites.