Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th July 2007, 11:37 PM   #1
seowebtech

Default How To Increase Page Rank Of Website!

If you've struggled to get your site listed high in Google, or if you have a new site and want to by-pass the weeks or months it can take to get indexed, you need to pay attention to what Google is all about. This is what Sergey Brin and Lawrence Page (the two founders of Google) wrote about their new search engine while at Stanford University:

"Google is designed to be a scalable search engine. The primary goal is to provide high quality search results over a rapidly growing World Wide Web. Google employs a number of techniques to improve search quality including page rank, anchor text, and proximity information.

"The citation (link) graph of the web is an important resource that has largely gone unused in existing web search engines. We have created maps containing as many as 518 million of these hyper links, a significant sample of the total. These maps allow rapid calculation of a web page's "page rank", an objective measure of its citation importance that corresponds well with people's subjective idea of importance. Because of this correspondence, page rank is an excellent way to prioritize the results of web keyword searches. For most popular subjects, a simple text matching search that is restricted to web page titles performs admirably when page rank prioritizes the result.

"Another intuitive justification is that a page can have a high page rank if there are many pages that point to it, or if there are some pages that point to it and have a high page rank. Intuitively, pages that are well cited from many places around the web are worth looking at. Also, pages that have perhaps only one citation from something like the Yahoo! homepage are also generally worth looking at. If a page was not high quality, or was a broken link, it is quite likely that Yahoo's homepage would not link to it. PageRank handles both these cases and everything in between by recursively propagating weights through the link structure of the web.

"Academic citation literature has been applied to the web, largely by counting citations or back links to a given page. This gives some approximation of a page's importance or quality." (Sergey Brin and Lawrence Page, The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hyper textual Web Search Engine)

And this is what Google currently says about page ranking:

"page rank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important."

"Important, high-quality sites receive a higher page rank, which Google remembers each time it conducts a search. Of course, important pages mean nothing to you if they don't match your query. So, Google combines page rank with sophisticated text-matching techniques to find pages that are both important and relevant to your search. Google goes far beyond the number of times a term appears on a page and examines all aspects of the page's content (and the content of the pages linking to it) to determine if it's a good match for your query."

seowebtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th July 2007, 01:28 AM   #2
mitch

awesome info thanks!!!

I am trying to get my ranking up at the moment, it seems to be doing ok. Its sometimes hard to determine what are good content sites to link with and not. I just started to pay for some SEO so hopefully this pays off. What do you look for in regards to content on a site?

mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 02:16 AM   #3
seowebtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
awesome info thanks!!!

I am trying to get my ranking up at the moment, it seems to be doing ok. Its sometimes hard to determine what are good content sites to link with and not. I just started to pay for some SEO so hopefully this pays off. What do you look for in regards to content on a site?
Hi mitch If you are really wants to rank your site you need to work hard and you can contact us for any help any time. I suggest you build some quality links for your site and submit it in search engines. You will get the results soon.
Good Luck

Last edited by seowebtech; 5th July 2007 at 02:19 AM. Reason: words
seowebtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 03:26 PM   #4
pbx123

Quote:
Originally Posted by seowebtech View Post
Hi mitch If you are really wants to rank your site you need to work hard and you can contact us for any help any time. I suggest you build some quality links for your site and submit it in search engines. You will get the results soon.
Good Luck
Please do remember that PR has no relation with search rankings. It is just another thing in SEO terminology. If you are having a good understanding, you should know that

pbx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 05:16 PM   #5
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Thanks for sharing this one seowebtech...^^;

It's really informative.

Old 9th July 2007, 12:52 AM   #6
rollings

Hello

Yes to get High PR.. Backlinks is the key. Get as much as you can to get them. Post to Directories, Forums, Social Bookmarks, Article etc etc.. The Sutra is get as many as back links and if you can get them from High PR, You PR will rock on..

John

rollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 04:05 AM   #7
tomfrederick

PR depends on number of quality backlinks so increasing PR you have to used SEO tools and tips.

tomfrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 04:55 PM   #8
OneMillion

Thanks a lot for sharing the above .. Keep it coming ..

Does Google consider sigs on forums a quality backlink? What's your opinion? Are comments on blogs better? Thanks in advance!

OneMillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 06:01 AM   #9
StevenClayton

Default Mitch....

The best way to really KNOW what a quality back link is to Google...is to spy on the sites that are in the top 10 for the particular phrase you're optimizing for. I was working with a client the other day, and there were 5 backlinks that 6-8 of the top 10 sites all had in common....think Google feels these are important ones to have .... at least for that phrase/niche etc. ?? Yup.

So..how do you find this information? you need a tool. Do a search on SEO Elite. I have NO affiliation with them...but it's one tool that I use.

StevenClayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 05:29 PM   #10
Kataphileo

What is this article actually saying? For example, if I have a link to a particular product on my website posted everywhere on the web, Google will find it more relevant or is that wrong? I read so many things that say the more traffic you have to your site, Google will read that and you will become more relevant or the more times the relevant name appears on your pages within your site, Google will move you up. Is it a combination of different things or are these simply ideas people have about what could possibly move you up in relevancy?

Kataphileo is offline   Reply With Quote