Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st May 2014, 02:34 PM   #1
DannyM

Default Starting A Business Seems Way To Complicated

So over the past few months I've seriously considered starting a business. I currently live in Texas and want to start a Sole Proprietorship where I may provide mobile computer repair and handyman services to everyone in the Texas border. Eventually I want to take the business to multiple states as I travel and enjoy life on the road. However either due to my OCD or a misinterpretation of the legal requirements I'm absolutely surprised anybody can have a business, much less a mobile one that provides services not in a fixed area.

I mentioned that I wanted to take my business on the road. My dream has been to get a van or RV and travel while living a minimalist lifestyle . The obvious course of action is to have either passive income coming from a fixed location or to use my skills and earn money as I travel ( or both ). Since I wanted to start local I did research on my state's requirements to establish a Sole Proprietorship. Since I'd be using my legal name for my business, will have no employees, will not pay freelancers or other people $600 or more during a year for services rendered to my business, and the state doesn't require a general business license or licences/permits for the line of work I would be doing, I thought I was in the clear and it would be simple.

Well local laws are different. Each county has its own right to add requirements on top of the state which as I've come to find out is vastly different from county to county. Top this off with no clear county lines on either a physical map provided by the county or with online tools ( I've called and requested such a map from my local comptroller and nobody can help me ) but several counties and other tax/regulation entities overlap or have very grey areas for where a location stands for being enforced. This puts serious strain on knowing if I'm legally supposed to get a business license to operate in a county as well as if I should collect and withhold sales/use tax on my services for that county which in Texas can go up to 2%.

This problem is amplified when even considered doing business in multiple states. Texas doesn't have an income tax, but most states do and therefore any business conducted within its borders must have taxes known and set aside for. If doing business in 4-5 states in a given year I will most likely have to keep track of federal income tax and 3-4 state income taxes. Not to mention keeping track of the counties in those states I'm having to keep track of tax-wise that will have to be reported and paid to the state I earned income in.

By trying to learn what handyman services I can provide without a license to perform it ( such as electrical and plumbing work ) that ends up being crazy in how vague and diverse it can get. Some states and counties don't mind a handyman unclogging a toilet or changing a light bulb in a residential building or painting a small picket fence. However some won't even let you do those things and require a professional license for the service. Even more confusing is that those that do allow the services such as changing a light to be done by a non-electrically licensed handyman require it to be under a certain billable amount that varies from $300, $500, $1000, and $3000 have been what I've seen being thrown around for the values.

So to resolve this issue of utter chaos I figured it would be best to only do business on one state ( Texas ) and one county ( the one I currently live in ) and stay well within the county lines to avoid being close to the edge and possibly falling under another tax entity. It would be really depressing to never live my dream but at least I could have a business right? Well it's still not over as now my brain has to fully wrap around federal laws and taxes. I keep getting very conflicting information from varying sources.

To be less vague I'm talking about the IRS website with their publications, how-to's, and tax tools that while handy seem to be so general, omnipotent, all-encompassing, and vague ( vague being what really hurts me the most ) that I've just come to believe I'm taxed on anything and everything and that everybody breaks tax law without even realizing it or just can't help it. It's scary, since now I know of several instances where there was no possible way for me to figure out that some action was taxable nor how much the taxable amount was and therefore am at the mercy of the IRS.

I'm not trying to paint an evil big brother picture here on purpose but can't I at least be able to have well defined tax code so I can know what I'm taxed on and what I owe? I also tried to use other business help sources since everyone has always told me taxes are very complicated and the IRS might not be the best source to make it understandable. If I need to cite the other sources I will but after reading the forum's rules about advertising I'm trying to be restrictive on this throughout this post.

So I basically can't legally start a business if I can't understand the legal requirements I must obey. I'd hate to be that guy who tries his best, still somehow did something illegal without realizing it, and ends up being pictured as a criminal in the eyes of everybody because he wanted to start a business and couldn't figure out the "super simple" and "you have to be evil or a crook to break the law" situation going on and didn't pay an accountant, a tax adviser, and a lawyer for a business that will make no more than $10,000 a year ( and that's on the high end where I'd be no longer accepting work to prevent it from going higher ). I'm a minimalist, I don't need much money or the finer things in life and I'm not trying to steal/be a crook/not pay taxes/not be polite to others.

I'm turning 21 this year, have been out of high school since 2012. I had work with an employer for a year afterwards but due to my OCD I had to leave due to medical reasons. People my age have a hard time obtaining a job without going through college ( where you get debt most of the time and end up with a useless paper at the end ) but that is probably the global recession I keep reading about. My reason for wanting to work for myself is for that reason and to live my traveling dream while embracing my minimalist lifestyle. I don't expect life to be easy but I shouldn't expect to be terrified of each move I make or even consider to make.

You can rest assured now my situation/rant is over now as I'm sure it looks like one big mess of "I hate taxes, complicated government, and searching for work" but hopefully this can be looked through and see a guy just trying to understand what applies and doesn't to him legally. So to make it easier to not have this post deleted and to get some insight on how everyone else copes with these things I'll list off my constructive questions now.

1. Has anybody here started a Sole Proprietorship in Texas and can give a nice little explanation to what you went through for setting up shop and how you manage your federal, state, and local requirements for licensing, reporting, and tax?

2. Does anybody know a good reference, service, or tool that provides accurate and detailed county lines in each state ( or at least Texas )?

3. My current understanding for potential IRS audits is to have your business account and personal account as separate as possible. I've planned to have my business account receive all income, a tax account that the business account deposits and stores my yearly taxes in ( I'm just going to take the 3% fine when I file in April for not doing quarterly estimates since it seems to complicated to estimate accurately ), and to pay myself from my business account to my personal account which will transfer funds to my various savings ( car repair emergency account, HSA, general emergency account, big purchase account, etc ). Is this a good way to do it or am I missing something here?

4. For those who might have a traveling business, what do you do to keep your tax ducks in a row? Do you simply look up the state and county website for where you're going each time you move location to figure out the laws there?

5. Is a business that makes no more than $10,000 a year simply not worth the effort? Should I just pick up a W-2 position and once I save enough money pick up stakes and head off to the next location?

I appreciate anybody who actually read through all this. I noticed many of the posts are short and very relaxed aside from stickies with links to info so hopefully this isn't a wall of boring and un-constructive text.

DannyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th May 2014, 12:34 AM   #2
DFWattorney

You are trying to do something complex here. You are trying to set up a business that performs professional services across multiple states. That is not an easy task, especially when you lack professional licenses and you may be unwilling to pay for the services of the professionals who can properly advise you on what you need to do to start such a business. All that said, it is not surprising that you are overwhelmed by the complexity of what is required.

Before you get into the minutiae of taxes and licenses you really need to get a better sense of the business you want to build and the probability of its success. I am skeptical that you could successfully earn a living offering services in random parts of the country to screw in light bulbs and repairing computers.

DFWattorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 09:28 AM   #3
DannyM

Thank you for the reply. I posted this after yet another day of scouring the IRS publications and simply got so frustrated with it all I wanted somewhere to vent and maybe shed some light as to whether I'm complicating the process or if I'm overlooking something obvious. Needless to say the next day after I got some rest and had time to think I felt very embarrassed having wrote this post but couldn't take it down.

Quote:
You are trying to do something complex here. You are trying to set up a business that performs professional services across multiple states. That is not an easy task, especially when you lack professional licenses and you may be unwilling to pay for the services of the professionals who can properly advise you on what you need to do to start such a business.
It probably would be best to seek professional help for advice since it's so hard for me to interpret what is and isn't needed for this business idea. I have some certifications I gained in the hopes of starting a pc repair business one day but those aren't legal licenses and only serve to prove I know something ( certainly not a cheap means of proving my worth but definitely cheaper than college ).

I don't have a problem paying for professional advice to guide me through issues, I just got frustrated since sometimes I feel everything is too "pay with a chance of play" but that might just be another way of saying I don't want to risk paying for help just to find out it's not worth pursuing. However that might be exactly why someone in my position should seek help as to whether to rule out pursuing a business venture or to press onward with it.

Quote:
Before you get into the minutiae of taxes and licenses you really need to get a better sense of the business you want to build and the probability of its success. I am skeptical that you could successfully earn a living offering services in random parts of the country to screw in light bulbs and repairing computers.
A solid business plan is definitely something I don't have as I figured you need to know the laws and requirements before you could make an accurate business plan and how to properly set up the business. Since I've been stuck with figuring out all the laws and requirements I ended up falling short on actual business planning ( which might be making my outlook on things worse ).

The light bulb example was just a joke more or less as I felt it ridiculous that some states require you to be a licensed electrician to do something I and many other people do un-licensed so many times a year in our own homes. Handyman services might very well be something I shouldn't pursue as it clearly isn't worth the current hassle in my situation. Now I'm still utterly lost on whether I need to be a licensed electrician to plug in something in a outlet at someone's home at this point.

Again I appreciate the reply, wish I would have saved myself some embarrassment by not posting the original post but what's done is done. I seriously didn't want to come off as some young kid throwing a tantrum over not being able to do something. Maybe some other time in my life I'll be able to pursue a small business pursuit but for now it seems out of the question. It may be painful now but trekking along being unemployed and without a small business might be my only real course of action. At least I have my health .

I'll continue to look for gainful employment and I'll continue to do any community help I can to keep my spirits up. This whole entrepreneur venture that's caused me so much pain and headache might have just been a way to get my mind off of my life struggles. Plus I'm still young so I have plenty of time to pursue my dream of a life of travel much later.

Old 28th May 2014, 11:31 AM   #4
DFWattorney

It can be frustrating. There's nothing wrong with venting your frustration.

The reason why electricians and other repair-related professions require licenses (and typically bonds to cover the work you perform) is to protect your customers from honest accidents as well as incompetent work. Sure, many electrical repairs are simple and easily performed by non-licensed homeowners without problem. However, if you are paying somebody to come in and do the work you want to make sure that person is competent and won't burn your house down but if they do, at least you want to be able to recover for your losses against them (which is why the license often requires you to carry a bond).

DFWattorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 01:35 AM   #5
dikshaets121

all complication can easily sought out by proper plnning.

dikshaets121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 10:00 PM   #6
DannyM

Quote:
It can be frustrating. There's nothing wrong with venting your frustration.
It certainly does help to have a place to convey stress with something.

Quote:
The reason why electricians and other repair-related professions require licenses (and typically bonds to cover the work you perform) is to protect your customers from honest accidents as well as incompetent work. Sure, many electrical repairs are simple and easily performed by non-licensed homeowners without problem. However, if you are paying somebody to come in and do the work you want to make sure that person is competent and won't burn your house down but if they do, at least you want to be able to recover for your losses against them (which is why the license often requires you to carry a bond).
This makes sense considering bad electrical work can leave a house ablaze either during or even long after the work has been done. Having someone with weight behind their work's quality is something I'd think everyone looks for whether it be from a license, certificate, reference, etc. Very helpful insight, thanks !

Quote:
all complication can easily sought out by proper plnning.
Going to take a guess at this means "This can all be worked out with proper planning and seeking out information channels".

Although I don't have a degree or a long life full of experience in business here in the U.S., I feel that I've gathered enough to weigh the option of starting a small business against just continuing to seek employment in my area. With the legal red tape, lengthy tax compliance, and risk vs security, it surely looks like a venture in futility with a high chance of coming out in the negatives as far as capital is concerned. I'd also worry about my health given all the stress and uncertainty. This is my situation being told of course as only I would know if I truly thought something was worth doing.

As stated in a previous post, my business plan never really got into a drafting stage. I became so frozen in fear, confusion and frustration over so many details both small and large that the thought of someone being able to start a business ( legally ) of any size was laughable, let alone accurately plan for one. I never expected it to be easy, but I also never expected to feel like I was doing a bad thing by trying to legally establish my own form of income outside a W-2 situation. If only I could live without money and paperwork .

If I do end up turning back to becoming a small business ( sanity forbid ) it seems more logical to become a freelance writer or programmer. At least then the licensing and regulation feels like it has breathing room. At first I didn't even consider that route since the apparent cut-throat competition and rates out there made it seem like an industry with an abundance of potential workers and a drought of actual work. Now it seems more realistic as I keep getting compliments on my writing even though I almost failed English and Literature in high school.