Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Reviews
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th December 2015, 04:19 PM   #1
ericbarbwire

Default Review My Website Please

Hey guys of the SmallBusinessBrief, I just released my phone/tablet analysis and comparison website. I'd like to know your general thoughts on the website as well as some general tips to make it more SEO friendly. So far we do not have any social media accounts dedicated to Spere but we do have a YouTube video promoting the service.

which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2BbmUeaxtk

Also, from the homepage are you able to tell that the purpose of the website it to analyze and compare phones? If not, do you know of any ways to fix that?
Thanks

Website Link: http://spere.io/

ericbarbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th December 2015, 12:11 AM   #2
MyLaunchKits

Send a message via Skype™ to MyLaunchKits

Welcome to the board again and congratulations on your success so far. I have a few thoughts on your web page for your consideration.

1. Since the name "Spere" does not immediately scream "Comparing phones" I would strongly consider using a tagline or motto on the front page as well as some imagery that conveys that.

2. SEO is sort of a tricky question. There's a LOT you can/should do. Submit your site to search engines and online directories, for one. Utilize some keyword researching tools for another. Social Media accounts (such as your YouTube channel) will help with that as well. Also consider Google Adwords in the future for your marketing efforts.

3. Overall I would like some more clarification on the main page as to how you come by these particular ratings and what your system is. It's not an obvious rating system (like A, B, C, etc) and honestly seems very arbitrary. Considering you don't have an Apple Iphone listed in the top 50 seems very strange. The general consensus among the industry and consumers is that the Iphone is superior to Android in most ways so your ranking system might have some explaining to do. For example, the iPhone 6s crushes the Galaxy in most benchmarking ratings and consider that Samsung has been caught trying to cheat benchmarking programs in the past.

The fact that there's not an Apple product in the top 50 is, to say the least, strange at least from the perspective of a moderately educated consumer who would expect to see it there. Not to come off as an Apple lover (I have an iPhone but don't have strong feelings on it and I'm not an "Apple" guy or really a "phone guy" - I use what I use until it breaks then I upgrade) but the omission of all of their products from a top 50 list seems like somethings wrong in the rating system. . And if it isn't then I would suggest you most definitely need to have a more in depth explanation on your ranking system because that is going to raise more than a few eyebrows.

For instance, your #1 phone, the Samsung 6S Edge:

"Scores 3989 in computing power out of a maximum score of 5000

Where do those numbers come from? What does it take to get to "5000" and how did you arrive at 3989 for the S6?

The device also scores 432 out of a possible 1000 in battery life

Now we're scoring 432 out of 1,000? Why is battery life measured up to 1,000 and how did you arrive at a very arbitrary 432?

The numbers do not seem based on any established or familiar rating system so I think you have to educate people as to how we're ranking these devices and what process you use to arrive at such seemingly random numbers.

MyLaunchKits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 02:30 PM   #3
ericbarbwire

Thank you very much for the advice! I really do appreciate it

To address some of your comments:

We will be adding in explanations as to how we reached our rating system. We got that comment a few times before, so it definitely should be fixed.

Also, it seems like there are some implications from you that we are somehow in cahoots with Samsung, not the case at all. The only sites we have any sort of partnership with are Amazon and Ebay. I do wish Iphones were superior to Samsung phones, after all, they're more expensive so I would yield in a larger profit from affiliate sales. :P

But, we developed an algorithm to create the ratings based off of information gathered and indexed from numerous sources. We may have to tweak it, after all no algorithm is perfect the first time around. We also don't have the Iphone6s added yet, when it is. I'd expect it to rank around the top.

Thanks again!

Last edited by ericbarbwire; 13th December 2015 at 02:34 PM.
ericbarbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 03:56 PM   #4
MyLaunchKits

Send a message via Skype™ to MyLaunchKits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbarbwire View Post
Thank you very much for the advice! I really do appreciate it

To address some of your comments:

We will be adding in explanations as to how we reached our rating system. We got that comment a few times before, so it definitely should be fixed.

Also, it seems like there are some implications from you that we are somehow in cahoots with Samsung, not the case at all. The only sites we have any sort of partnership with are Amazon and Ebay. I do wish Iphones were superior to Samsung phones, after all, they're more expensive so I would yield in a larger profit from affiliate sales. :P

But, we developed an algorithm to create the ratings based off of information gathered and indexed from numerous sources. We may have to tweak it, after all no algorithm is perfect the first time around. We also don't have the Iphone6s added yet, when it is. I'd expect it to rank around the top.

Thanks again!
I did not mean to imply you were in cahoots with Samsung, nor do I think you are. I'm bringing up the fact that Samsung has been caught cheating benchmark software before and using performance enhancing code to make their phones appear better than they are. That's a matter of public record with no other implication intended. So I bring that up to say be aware of that.

As far as whether or not iPhones deserve to be in the Top 50 or not it was not my intention to suggest anything other then this: Apple is the 2nd largest producer of smartphones in the entire world (Yes, Samsung is #1). The general consensus among consumers and a large part of the industry is that they are superior to Android phones. Whether or not that is true is inconsequential because a lot of that is largely opinion based. But if I, as a general consumer were to go to your website and start comparing phones and i don't see any products from the second largest producer of smartphones in the entire world which is also a very well known and well respected company- I am going to question the rating system. Not that it's shady or improper or there's anything underhanded going on, mind you. No, I would think that the rating is just plain old wrong and I think it would lead to a lack of trust in the system to be honest. So I would strongly suggest, just from the perspective of a consumer, that you do revisit that algorithm as you suggested because it seems very strange that no Apple product would make it into the top 50.

My advice to you would also be to clearly define who your target audience is and consider what their values are. If you're going after a techie crowd they will care a lot more about processing power and memory while the general public will probably care more about the camera and the price rather than the chipset. Just be careful not to lend too much weight to one thing over another especially if you're going after the general consumer as a target. There are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to ranking or rating anything.

I don't mention any of this to be mean or insulting, mind you. Just to give some advice. I showed this list to three separate associates who all hold high up positions within the tech industry- mostly as developers and programmers but none are in the mobile industry and all three of them independently came back to me with the impression that the list is greatly flawed. One individual said "the only thing this list leads in is being cheap" another offered "you can't look at only the processor and not give any weight to the speed of the RAM. This might be a top 50 list of Androids. It does include some of the top phones available but no way this is an all-inclusive list of the top 50 phones out there."

So, like I said, you might want to look at the rating system,. I wouldn't harp on this so much but for the fact that the rating system is crucial to what you do and the belief in the validity of the rating system will be what leads people to trust you or go elsewhere.

But all that being said if you believe in your rating system and you believe that a lot of the other ratings out there are wrong then stand by it. I would just suggest you explain the "why" a bit more as you continue to build and develop your site and your business.

Last edited by MyLaunchKits; 13th December 2015 at 09:59 PM.
MyLaunchKits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 10:15 AM   #5
metricbuzz88

I just reviewed your website in a SEO point of view. The below are the changes that you need to look at:

1. Website Speed: Your website scores 58% for mobile and 71% in desktop. You need to score above 86% for better optimized results.
Google says that website speed impacts the search engine rankings.

2. The website doesnot have a H1 tag

3. Replace underscore in the links - User friendly/search engine friendly links

4. Add a sitemap

5. Configure a cache on pages, Hide the server language

6. Add bit more content on above the fold. For ex: What is Spere is all about... include your main targeted keywords in the content.

7. Overall the text/html ratio is low.

metricbuzz88 is offline   Reply With Quote