Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd February 2009, 01:56 PM   #1
goldclubmember

Default The Money Is NOT In The List

It’s a very popular belief in Online Marketing – The Money is IN the List. Most internet entrepreneurs have no hesitation at all to agree with this long established belief.

After many years in the Internet business, like most people, I have my share of joy and sadness, failure and success. Over the years, I have made many friends all over the world because of Internet. A lot of them are now my buddies.

Like me, my buddies have also accumulated thousand of names and e-mails in our pursuit of achieving this Internet dream – The Money is IN the List.

Naturally when we compiled and exchange our List, we were full of hope and aspiration that our auto sending to all the e-mails would generate good if not fantastic conversion. After all, everybody always say – The Money is IN the List, right?

So, after we sent out all the e-mails, we waited and waited. Days passed by, only few conversions.

“DON’T PANIC, BROTHER” my buddies tell me- maybe our List is Not long enough to generate satisfactory conversions because it’s a numbers game. Let’s us get MORE names and e-mails. Over the following months, true enough, we managed to double our List! We tried again- sent to all the e-mails in our Long List.

ONLY FEW CONVERSIONS AGAIN!

We spent many restless and sleepless nights wondering what went wrong!

We searched and seek the experienced marketers wise advice and teaching why our long List is still not capable of generating satisfactory conversions. Our initial search for an answer resulted in total futility. But we pressed on and after numerous trials and errors, we finally discovered that - The Money is NOT in the List!

The Money is in THE RELATIONSHIP between us and the names or people derived from the List. Plus, lots of hard work like sending useful information or tips to the people in the List regularly to earn the prospective customers’ trust and confidence and hopefully, to help their online business grow.

Also, the result will not and cannot be quick! It takes time to establish this relationship so that when we send or deliver our sales pitch to the people in the List, they will buy from us if they need our products or services. Maybe not immediate but if the relationship is there, the people will buy from us one day!

Now, we do our homework first before we send our sales pitch to the people in the List and true enough, our conversions rates increases.

So, for me and my buddies, we say- The money is NOT in the List, but is in the Relationship we nurtured with the people in the List.

goldclubmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th February 2009, 03:50 PM   #2
ChristineG

Send a message via Skype™ to ChristineG

Couldn't agree with this more.

People are subscribed to your list to get value from you. If all you do is pound your list without listening to what it is they want, you’ll never get the results you want out of your marketing. Good email marketing will strengthen the relationship you have with your subscribers.

It will help your reputation and bring you more success if you treat your readers like human beings.

Happily, I see a real shift toward more of this, in email marketing and the rise of social media. Let's hope it is here to stay.