Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th May 2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Sahan Asad

Send a message via Skype™ to Sahan Asad
Smile Keyword Research -- Why Should You Use Quotation Marks For Keywords?

Hello Everyone!

This is for anyone who struggles to find gold mine keywords. In other word - high traffic keyword with low competition.

Many people get confused why we should use quotation marks in Google search engine – I use to be one of them.

I often get this question asked:

I don’t put quotation marks ("") around my keywords when searching in Google for a web site/article I am looking for. Then why should I when doing keyword research?

The answer to this question:

The quotation marks ("") around your keywords is to help you with your research. The quotes allow you to ascertain your competition.

Google implemented this for us to use as a tool for keyword research – this is the ONLY reason. Just imagine as another tool folks.

This is the SECRET that no one explains!

Therefore conducting a search at Google WITHOUT the quotes, gives you results from their Articles, WebPages etc that contain your keywords IN ANY COMBINATION.

An example of this is - if your keyword is "Quickest way to improve credit", Google will pick up sites that might include "quickest" and "improve credit", but not necessarily in that order (or even grouped together).

However...

... conducting a search WITH quotes, gives you results that include pages that contain your EXACT keyword phrase.

This gives you an idea of the TRUE competition you are up against.

When you use quotes, it brings up your most prominent competition.

In other words, people who know a bit about what they are doing to rank for those keywords.

Using keywords in quotation marks just tells you more precisely who and how many you are competing against with your chosen keywords.

Using "" is just a tool to give you an edge on your competition.

That’s the difference folks!

I’ll give you a current example that I quickly researched just now:

Type in the Google search engine the keyword phrase – how to build a glass house

Directly below your typed in phrase (how to build a glass house) you will see the results 56,700,000 searches without quotes. Try it now for yourself.

And now type in the keyword phrase in the Google search engine with quotes like this “how to build a glass house” you should see figures of around 1,080 just below the keyword phrase you typed in. This exact term shows you are only competing with 1,080 pages - not 56,700,000.

I would advise you not to go for any thing higher than 50,000 competing pages – the lower the better.

In fact for complete newbie’s I would highly recommend up to 10,000 competing pages. You will achieve faster results and it will keep you motivated. This will build your confidents up and once your experience enough start going for higher competing pages.

However before you consider using this as a key phrase you need to know how much traffic this key phrase receives daily/monthly. In this instance its only receives 73 searches a month – too low not worth your time and effort. You want at least 2000+ searches a month.

Go to Google keyword tool and check it out yourself…

Does that make sense?

Don’t worry if it hasn’t; just keep reading it over and over till it does. Read it the next day, then the following day. It took me weeks to understand! Read it then experiment with it.

Keyword research is the most important; you need to make sure you get it correct.

Take your time with keyword research. Think of it as you building the foundation of a building, if you get it wrong then the whole building will collapse.

Putting quotes in keywords use to confuse me a lot back then, but once you no it, you think to yourself why I didn’t understand it when it so simple. May be its just me…I’m a bit slow. (I think…)

Another important thing that I should mention - always be active in the forum - you be surprised how much you can learn from other people.

Remember folks….HIGH traffic keyword with LOW competition is the key to success.

All the best

Kindest

Sahan Asad

Sahan Asad is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th May 2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

You are correct about using quotes when doing keyword research, but in my opinion you should take it a step farther using the allintitle: with quotes search query to further analyze competition.

Quote:
Google implemented this for us to use as a tool for keyword research – this is the ONLY reason.
I don't think that is the reason. SEO's use advance search functions to research the search engine result pages. The advance search functions aren't "only" there for seo. As an example, google is well known for not including all results within a backlink search. I think you can say they do that so that it is not any easier than necessary for seo. But I think it is a stretch to say the reason an advance search function exists is because they want to help/provide and seo tool. Regardless of the "reason", you have done a good job explaining your lesson. thank you.

Old 13th May 2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Sahan Asad

Yes Logan I agree about taking a step further of using the allintitle. I use this personally to but I didn’t want to mention this now as it may overwhelm who are new into this. I no I was. I thought I take it a step at a time as this will clear up using quotes when doing keyword research.

Basically folk’s allintitle tells you how many web pages have your keyword phrase in their title. The fewer web pages have your keyword in their title the better.

I also do a url search by searching on Google for allinurl: YOUR KEYWORD IN HERE
This tells us how many pages have your keyword phrase in their url.

Oops I agree with your final paragraph, my clarification was not good. Thanks for a clearer explanation.

Thanks for the compliment….i do try

Old 13th May 2010, 02:02 PM   #4
BrittMalka

Nice explanation.

I guess that even by spying on our competitors with allintitle and keywords between quotation marks, we could encounter lucky people getting better indexed on the same keywords, even though they don't have the exact same order, and even though they don't have the keywords in their title, right?

When I search for money making ideas (without quotes) #4 on google has this title "101 Ways To Make Money – Learn How To Make Money Online". Does this mean that it's easier to take his place, if I have those words in my title?

Old 14th May 2010, 02:32 AM   #5
Sahan Asad

yes Brittmalka, I have seen site rank high without having it in the title.

That site will have lots of back links. There is a say: content is king and backlink is queen in Internet marketing!

Old 14th May 2010, 03:06 AM   #6
Sahan Asad

I guess that even by spying on our competitors with allintitle and keywords between quotation marks, we could encounter lucky people getting better indexed on the same keywords, even though they don't have the exact same order, and even though they don't have the keywords in their title, right?

I don't think luck plays a part. Google like variation of keywords. If you have many anchor txt the same it won't look natural to Google but spammy. Slight Variation of keyword is good.
on page Seo use to be very important, now its not much. However by you having title, description, keywords url and keywords at the end of page will give that little push to beat your competitor if they are weak on page Seo.

When I search for money making ideas (without quotes) #4 on google has this title "101 Ways To Make Money – Learn How To Make Money Online". Does this mean that it's easier to take his place, if I have those words in my title?
It will help to give you more browny points!
Best way to beat your competitor to see where are they weak at. You make yours better. You get all the same backlinks they have, and add more better backlinks.
Hope this helps.
I get a buzz when I beat my competitors!

Old 14th May 2010, 08:40 AM   #7
BrittMalka

Hi again, Sahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahan Asad View Post
Hm, maybe. I've never thought about it that way, because I never liked copying, in fact, not even minor details. I guess it's something I have to get over and do.

He has a great title, that's for sure!

Quote:
I get a buzz when I beat my competitors!
Hehe

Before Easter (which was my biggest income month in all time this year), I saw a site that ranked higher than mine on a specific keyword (in Danish). I knew that this site belonged to an old friend of mine, but we don't have much contact any longer. I also knew that he didn't make as much money from it than I did, because I could see the way he had put his AdSense on the site. Old classic way with another background colour etc. I felt sorry for him. And I wished I owned his site ;-)

But yes, normally it's great to move up the latter and leave the competitors behind ;-)

Old 14th May 2010, 09:44 AM   #8
Sahan Asad

Let me clarify what I mean by copying.

1. I will try to beat their title with a better variation, add another keyword without affecting my first keyword.

2. Have a benefit driven description, action words and if possible price of product and of course have my keyword in it.

3. See if they have H1, H2 and H3 if not boom mines in there!

4. Now this is the bit i LOVE copying, get all their page rank 3 and higher back-links. Then add my collections of high page rank sites.

I would advise you to do number 4 every time if you want faaaaaast results.

Congratulation to your biggest earnings… that just the beginning

Kind Regards,

Sahan Asad

Old 15th May 2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Logan
Administrator

Boom. Kappow. <i was feeling a little batmanish after reading that post>

Anyways. deep breath when you get excited. for starters, those reading should realize that "over optimization" can be an issue. Get a feel for what is enough and too much for yourself.

Regarding allintitle:

If you are new to trying seo then do some keyword research and pick a keyword where the number of allintitle: results using quotes around the search term is very low or nothing. If you do your research and dig thru the keywords you will find them. Then simply create your page - using your exact keyword in the title tag -- create content about that topic/keyword. observe the results to get a "feel" for how optimization works and what does and doesn't for you.

On to some of the comments -

Quote:
1. I will try to beat their title with a better variation, add another keyword without affecting my first keyword.
Fair enough. I don't "copy" anyone elses title tags but I don't worry about if mine duplicates someones or not. Its not uncommon to dupe a title tag if it is only the keyword. Adding a variation is good. I find it best to keep the title tag as short as possible focused on my keyword and if adding additional keywords they be variations of the same phrase with longer tail.

Big blue widgets

.... added on -

Buy Big blue widgets

Quote:
2. Have a benefit driven description, action words and if possible price of product and of course have my keyword in it.
Good, having price in it can really help qualify who is visiting based on my experience. But make sure your price "is" competitive. You have to check this carefully to make sure you are positioned correctly. Otherwise, can be a 'problem'.

Quote:
3. See if they have H1, H2 and H3 if not boom mines in there!
Ok. I understand you like using h1, h2, h3. But why would you only do it if they don't and research this. If that's what you do, why wouldn't you just do it everytime?

Quote:
Now this is the bit i LOVE copying, get all their page rank 3 and higher back-links. Then add my collections of high page rank sites.
You lost me. Maybe get some fresh air and try to explain that again.

Quote:
we could encounter lucky people getting better indexed on the same keywords, even though they don't have the exact same order, and even though they don't have the keywords in their title, right
Sure. There are 100s of factors and google made something like 550+ changes to the algorithm last year.

With that said, the title tag and anchor text are part of the algorithm that are weighted heavily in their direction. So while I can outrank a title tag with anchor text, domainname, and other factors the reality is I also have anchor text and other optimization playing a role. So few other pages with the keyword exactly in the title is a typically a good/better indicator of a keyword that is going to be easier to optimize and rank for versus others. To see a list of the different ranking factors, and the common thought regarding their importance, visit seomoz's search engine ranking factors. As you can see there, the role title tag plays in onpage optimization (#1 factor) and by using the allintitle: search we can get some direction for which keywords are better or not.

Simply, title tag IS the #1 factor when it comes to on page optimization

Old 17th May 2010, 07:12 AM   #10
Sahan Asad

Lol Logan you’re funny!

Quote 1 – well said

Quote 2 – I do it all the time when possible.

Quote 3 - to put it simply…more hard work for me. That means I have to write more content to fit in the other H2 and H3 tag. If my competitor done well on and off page SEO then I’ll see what weaknesses they have that I could possible improve on.

Quote 4 – lol. Basically I find all their back links, and use only their top Page Ranking sites to link to my site. Also I research how many times they have use Anchor keyword and make mine more.

Quote 5 – nice explanation