Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th July 2012, 04:24 AM   #1
Kevin Smtih

Default How Many Incoming Links I Need For Getting PR5?

Hello there,

How many incoming links i need for getting PR5? I read various forums regarding this question but on one gives me proper answers on that? So, i want some expert opinion on that.

Regards,

Old 9th July 2012, 10:36 AM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

The reason you haven't gotten a solid answer is that there is no solid answer.

It's not a matter of how many links you have, but how good the links you have are.

As an example: a link from the front page of the New York Times website will carry a lot more weight than a link from the interior page of a free-for-all directory that nobody's ever heard of. Just a few high-powered links may do the trick. But with low-quality links, you may very well NEVER get to PR5, no matter how many of them you have.

Beyond that, the "PR5" you're talking about is Toolbar PageRank, which is only updated a few times a year and has nothing to do with rankings... so it's sort of a useless exercise to focus on that number to start with.

If you want better rankings, more traffic and more sales, first make sure your website is the best it can be. Make it something worth linking to. Then get as many links as you can from good, high-quality, informative, useful, well-trafficked websites that cater to your target audience. Don't worry about "how many" links; focus instead on getting good links.

--Torka

Old 9th July 2012, 01:41 PM   #3
waynemorrise
VIP Contributor

Very well said by torka.. Try to check your competitors link and compare it to you, you will surely notice that it's not about the number of links. It's more about the VALUE of the links. Consider that your link are Good, Relevant, Useful and better from your site.

Old 9th July 2012, 04:38 PM   #4
bhartzer
VIP Contributor

Torka is right, it's the quality, not the quality. Technically speaking, you would only need one PR6 link to get your site to a PR5.

Old 10th July 2012, 12:03 AM   #5
Vishenda

Yes no definite answer. And it's not only based on the back links. Your site should have a quality content too.

Vishenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Kevin Smtih

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
The reason you haven't gotten a solid answer is that there is no solid answer.

It's not a matter of how many links you have, but how good the links you have are.

As an example: a link from the front page of the New York Times website will carry a lot more weight than a link from the interior page of a free-for-all directory that nobody's ever heard of. Just a few high-powered links may do the trick. But with low-quality links, you may very well NEVER get to PR5, no matter how many of them you have.

Beyond that, the "PR5" you're talking about is Toolbar PageRank, which is only updated a few times a year and has nothing to do with rankings... so it's sort of a useless exercise to focus on that number to start with.

If you want better rankings, more traffic and more sales, first make sure your website is the best it can be. Make it something worth linking to. Then get as many links as you can from good, high-quality, informative, useful, well-trafficked websites that cater to your target audience. Don't worry about "how many" links; focus instead on getting good links.

--Torka
Thanks you for teaching me

Old 10th July 2012, 07:44 AM   #7
Aayus

Absolutely torka is right that there is no solid answer about it. if you want more traffic then there is no mean that your site in pr5. Make sure that your site is the best, meaningful and good quality then your site definitely get more traffic.

Aayus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 09:58 AM   #8
ronsidney

I am just starting this SEO myself for my site. I have a friend that does the SEO for me and we just started a month or so ago. He said it will take me a lot of time and the more back links the better so it would be good for me to do a lot myself as it is a very time consuming process.

Most of my sales now come from ebay and ads i have in print but with google my site is not even on the front page, i want to change that.

I have started joining several of these forums so i can learn how to do this myself . It seems like it is a big bucket to throw money in with having a SEO campaign as i guess it never ends!!

How can i find out what sites have the most weight and will make my link so valuable like was mentioned?

thanks in advance,
ron

Last edited by torka; 12th July 2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Remove links - configure a signature in your profile if you want to link to your company
ronsidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 12:31 PM   #9
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Well, in my experience when it comes to links it's not a matter of "the more the better," but rather "the better the better."

Unfortunately, there's no reliable way for you to tell how much weight the search engines assign to any given page. Even within a single site, different pages will carry different weights depending on several different factors. And given the changes the search engines (Google in particular) have been pushing through lately, even if a page is "strong" today, that's no guarantee it will be "strong" tomorrow.

(Of course, the converse is also true: just because a page is brand new and doesn't have a lot of "oomph" today, doesn't necessarily mean it will stay that way.)

So, what I usually do is give the site the "sniff test." If it seems like a reputable site, and it's not overrun by spam, and the content seems to be relevant to my target audience, and it appears to be actively managed and updated, and it seems likely people from my target audience might be visiting that site (so the link might be useful for sending me actual traffic, not just for "SEO purposes"), then I'll see about trying to get a link.

A good rule of thumb is that the easier a link is to get, the less valuable it's likely to be.

So a link that requires you to write a good, solid guest article that will pass an editor's scrutiny will be more valuable than a link from an article repository that just allows you to freely post any old crappy "spun" article you desire, whenever you feel like it.

A link in a directory that charges a few hundred dollars just to review your request (with no guarantee they'll include you) will likely count for more than a link in a free-for-all directory overrun with listings for "make money now" spam.

And so forth.

Bottom line, the best SEO tool of all is the gray matter between your ears. There are no hard and fast rules -- or at least, very few that don't get outdated before they're even written down. Listen to your gut.

My

--Torka

Old 12th July 2012, 02:38 PM   #10
SellRex

Default torka's response is great +

There is some guidance from Google, along with many negative comments about their Panda algorithm change. We can only hope that in the last year that Google has solved a number of new problems that were mentioned in the comments area of this post:

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...h-quality.html

The advice torka provided is great. The best way to go is to concentrate on high quality, original content and get that content noticed (via links) in high quality, high-traffic websites.

SellRex is offline   Reply With Quote