Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th May 2011, 11:59 PM   #1
shanehubert

Default Keyword Strategy For New Project?

What should be the keyword strategy at the beginning of new website.

shanehubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:36 PM   #2
B2Bexpert

First Know more about your theme and then research something about your compititors so that you will be getting some ideas on keywords

Then you can use tools for getting keywords list like Google adword tool and Google search suggestion.

don't mix your keywords just target one two keywords per pages
Every page should be 450 - 500 words content rich with 2 - 3% keywords dinsity

B2Bexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 03:22 AM   #3
SanWay
VIP Contributor

we always use a traditional algorithm of choosing keywords)
1. make a wide range of keywords (use the help of other people, try to tink like your visitor)
2. make the list wider through Google adwords
3. prove the competetiveness and popularity of keywords
4. choose the final list of keywords

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

I always start with a keyword list from friends/family/other websites and then build my own in WordTracker, I would then also look at Google Adwords before I finalise which keywords are going to be used per page

Having a good solid keyword list will also help determine how many pages you are going to write

Look at competitors also, what are they writing about

Nutty

Old 16th June 2011, 01:49 AM   #5
steveschmidt85

good search volume and less competition is always desirable but i would advice to select keyword phrase while you are selecting your keyword. because sometimes broad keyword having so much search volume but it will not always much helpful

steveschmidt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 04:54 PM   #6
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

Well, I am fortunate, because I use a keyword brainstormer with a very specific method and set of instructions! That's what my company does. So exactly how that works, I won't go into. But -

Overall, what you want to do is do a general search for keywords having to do with your general theme. Let's say you make "peanut butter cookies." You would do a general search for peanut butter cookies. However, you have to know not only how many people are searching for that word, but also how many people are already using that word.

You want a mixture of high competition keywords, with a good amount of low competition keywords. The higher competition words will eventually bring you a lot of traffic, although in the beginning you won't stand a chance at ranking for them. The low competition keywords will give you a better chance at ranking more quickly, which will eventually make all your other kw's rank as well.

(Hope I didn't lose you.) :-)

The more relevant to each other the better, too. For example:

In the case of peanut butter cookies, you would want to find and use keywords like peanut butter chocolate cookies, peanut butter frosted cookies, peanut butter cookie dough, etc. After you've got enough of these, you might do the occasional page like cookie mixes, cookie pans, etc. They may not relate to peanut butter, but once you have established your theme, this amount of irrelevance won't hurt you.

On the other hand, too many irrelevant keywords like peanut butter, sandy beaches, nut crackers, movie tickets, etc., besides all being too highly competitive, are all too dissimilar and irrelevant and will make your site un-search engine friendly.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 05:14 PM   #7
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

I think Denise is right on target. To be even more basic than that... start with what you think people will enter into a search engine to find your product. Don't just consider your terms... ask friends and associates. You will be surprised with their different 'trains' of thought.

Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 01:27 AM   #8
shanehubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
I always start with a keyword list from friends/family/other websites and then build my own in WordTracker, I would then also look at Google Adwords before I finalise which keywords are going to be used per page

Having a good solid keyword list will also help determine how many pages you are going to write

Look at competitors also, what are they writing about

Nutty
Thanks Nutty it is helpful.

shanehubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 01:53 AM   #9
addyj672

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanehubert View Post
What should be the keyword strategy at the beginning of new website.
Selection of right keyword is first step in On page optimization, there are many tools which helps in getting right keywords like Google adword tool, Google keyword suggestion tool, select right keyword that is relevant to content and use it in content.

Important thing to remember

• Research: Do a proper research before you decide on your keywords.

• Keyword Density: Try to have a moderate keyword density so that it can help the search engine to determine that your page is indeed related & relevant to the keyword that you are targeting.

• Long Tail Keywords: It’s often good to target some long tail keywords as they are comparatively easier to rank for.
• But you can also come up with your own long tail keywords; for example try adding some common words like ‘best’, ‘free’, ‘cheap’, ‘top’ etc. along with your actual keyword and you might eventually get some good long tail keywords.

addyj672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 04:36 PM   #10
Candice Robins

The answer to your question depends on what you're talking about exactly - if it's PPC advertising, you should take a long-tail strategy. Try to capture as many of the long, cheap kws as you can, and your ROI will be high. You'll need 2k-5k kws for a start.