Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th July 2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Sterling

Smile Ecommerce Site Need Advice On Creating A Simple Website !

Hey guys,

At the moment I am creating an online website and I would appreciate any advice on how to start up effectively. I am making the website on my own, currently signed onto squarespace.com as the host.

I am looking for a reliable merchant system to use to accept payments on the website.
When it is ready, I will have only 1 or 2 products to sell (something very small and being developed on my own). The things I am making are probably considered novelties.

The problem is that I don't know how to make the website appealing since I don't have a variety of things to sell yet. I am also including laser engraving services as well as I have a laser engraving machine.

Well any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, and very soon I can say what exactly it is I am making.

btw I do not know how to make a website at all, that is why I am using squarespace atm, but if someone has a better or similar web host to refer to me I'm all for checking it out !

Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th July 2010, 02:51 PM   #2
MadAdvice

Just looked at squarespace, I had never heard of them.

Not sure what kind of payments system you can intergrate with their templates.

However, as far as the look and feel. Just start looking around the web for something that it similar to your site and get ideas that way.

MadAdvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 11:17 PM   #3
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Every time I post to this forum, I really attempt to help and provide any insight that I have while being nice. On the other hand, I have to tell you that I can't get over how many try to set up a website to actually SELL and TAKE PEOPLE's MONEY without spending a dime themselves.

Look, I am not trying to pick on you or burst your bubble. I just ask you to put the shoe on the other foot. What would you do if you came across a site that was OBVIOUSLY a home-made-type-of-freeie. Would you trust the company?

We set up websites every day. Take small business owners from a dream to accepting credit cards with a professionally designed site in ONE DAY. Yes, it costs money. But show me a business that doesn't! Besides, when you think about it... you stumble along with all the grief and give up in 6 months with the entire internet leaving a bad taste in your mouth. If you spent wisely and get professional help to 'boost' you into the real business world, then started to pocket some money, you would think a lot different of online sales.

I have sites that sell every day. 1,000's or people on lists... and we work hard for that and for our clients. The reward... well, if I have to spell it out, then it's not worth saying any more.

Good luck... and really.. I am not dumping on you. But consider getting a solid website with professional help behind it... and understand the marketing concepts to help you gain prospects and sales... and you will really be a lot further ahead. Not everybody selling you something is trying to rip you off. Really.

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Sterling

Yes thanks for your input, however I was thinking of using an ecommerce solution site / site builder with templates such as Volusion.com. Does anyone know how reliable they are or if there are other better similar companies like volusion?

I am mainly starting off with 2 or 3 items only, so it's pretty small scale.

Edit: After doing some googling about the company there seems to be good reviews up to around 2008 or so, but lately all I have run across are bad comments and negative reviews about bad support, management, website downtime for maintenance every week etc.

Is all this a common thing with most ecommerce website builders out there? The other one I am checking out is Bigcommerce which seems to be rated #1 on some sites.

Any info or suggestions would be great !

Last edited by Sterling; 25th July 2010 at 10:40 PM.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 12:33 PM   #5
KevinW
VIP Contributor

It's funny to me the criticism of Volusion that's out there. Part of that is that they have handled some customer service situations poorly. And worse, when they get called out on it, they tend to censor it in their forums.

As for Volusion, I find them to be reliable still. I run a website with their hosted solutions, and I have had VERY, VERY few problems since September of 2009.

I integrated Paypal Merchant Services (it's a true payment processing solution. Customer doesn't know Paypal is involved unless they elect to pay with Paypal.)

Our current catalog is 250 or so products, and my drop shipping is handled seamlessly and automatically.

Old 3rd August 2010, 04:28 PM   #6
ORCIUS

I will suggest you to get professional advice, so you can have better support for your website and customers. It doesn't matter if you have 2 or 3 items to sale, what really matters is how are you planning to sale them, what kind or marketing or advertising campaign will you have, and how is going to be your customer support, because if you have a poor one, you will loose all your customers because of that.
It's a business, so invest on it, and you won't regret it. Take care.

ORCIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 09:20 PM   #7
lyrafire

Try a Wordpress.org site, hosted on the place you already have if they're Wordpress compatible. You can set up a good-looking site quite easily. Now or later, when you're established, you can get a custom Wordpress theme. Other people sell goods on a Wordpress site.

If you have problems, click on the help button in the upper right hand corner. Then go to the support forum. Search for your topic--your question may already have been answered. If not, ask it.

I use Magazine Basic for 3 out of 4 sites. It's easy, and you can customize it, plus it's already SEO optimized. If you go into editor, you can change the font and header colors.

lyrafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 11:14 PM   #8
goodwebwork

Default Keep it simple and check out PayPal

Hey Sterling,

I think PayPal is usually a really good way to go if you are only selling a few items. In fact, it can be good even if you are selling more items.

As far as the website itself, don't be afraid to keep it simple. If you only have 2 items, no need to act like there's something more going on. You can probably get a pretty cheap web hosting account and use WordPress to build the site.

goodwebwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 01:08 AM   #9
davidbkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwebwork View Post
As far as the website itself, don't be afraid to keep it simple. If you only have 2 items, no need to act like there's something more going on. You can probably get a pretty cheap web hosting account and use WordPress to build the site.
I agree, in fact, more complicated web sites have a terrible google rank because they make it to fancy with flash and google can't read it. I think a simple site with tons of google traffic will get you as far as you need to go

davidbkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 10:34 AM   #10
vvdven

Send a message via ICQ to vvdven Send a message via Skype™ to vvdven
Default WP Ecomm

I agree. Wordpress has some pretty good options. I;ve tries the Shopp plugin, but went with WP-ecommerce in the end because it was the easiest to deal with.

vvdven is offline   Reply With Quote