Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st January 2011, 06:31 AM   #1
elsoft

Send a message via Skype™ to elsoft
Default Keyword Research Tool

Need advise on a free keyword research tool.I have a website and this tool will be used for the indepth keyword research for this website.So that I can plan for Google adwords campaign accordingly.Please suggest a free tool which includes spelling mistake research and long tail keywords.

From Google,I got wordtracker and keyword discovery,they seem good but I need something I can try for free without providing my credit card details,as is required by some of these sites.

With the experts here,I expect some good suggestions.

Thanks.

Old 1st January 2011, 07:19 AM   #2
Timothy Scotch

As far as I am aware there is no 100% accurate keyword statistic tools and the best one is still Google's keyword estimator tool that is used for the PPC/adwords.

That tool has it's issues (Google doesnt exactly want to give everything away) in that it is not real accurate on long tail. While it is very helpful, I would take anything it says with a pinch of salt.

Others may know more than me though, I am not an SEO expert.

Old 6th January 2011, 07:21 PM   #3
habeeb24

I also heard word tracker is best to dig deep into the 'long tail' of keywords. It has been designed specifically to help you find new moneymaking niches..

you can also try for traffic estimator and find out the results...

habeeb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 01:42 AM   #4
elsoft

Send a message via Skype™ to elsoft
Default Google

I used Google keyword tool.Its pretty useful and its free.Thanks guys I got to know about new tools like word tracker.

Old 9th March 2011, 03:25 PM   #5
MissionRS

Default Google Adwords Tool

We use the Google Adwords tool - free, and fairly accurate. Google changes their specs quite a bit, tho. It's been very helpful!

MissionRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 11:18 AM   #6
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default Google Keyword is the best FREE tool

Ok, this is a long subject and I will try to tell you how to use Google's free kw tool to the max.

First search the google keyword tool using your own keyword generated ideas or allow google to search your site. For our site www.johnnylew.com I didnt like the results that came with the option of google trying to come up with ideas.

Try to go as broad as you can, NOW here is the secret. Download this list to excel. It may be huge but this method is going to save you hundreds maybe thousands of dollars over time.

Take this list and look for words that are not relevant to your site, add a minus sign "-" before the keyword. Do this for every keyword.

You will end up with a list of relevant keywords and keywords you do not want google to show an ad for.

For example (actual portion of what we did):

bathrobes
cotton bathrobes
-silk bathrobes
bath robes
-turkish bathrobe

We then simply copied and pasted the column of modified keywords. Instantly we had the relevant and keyword lists of a thousand plus keywords. Make these "broad".

Thats step 1.

Step 2. Watch over time the "search term" results in the keyword section of Adwords. You are going to see some search terms, mispellings of relevant, new negative terms you dont want to show for. Add these as phrase or exact & add those negatives. Continue and repeat at least monthly.

Step 3. Start to replace those broad terms by making winners phrase and exact. Overtime you will have an optimized list of keywords, longtails too!

All without having to get your Credit Card out and pay for a keyword generator. You used Google Adwords to be your generator by using terms people actually searched for!

Old 13th April 2011, 07:52 AM   #7
tobyR

I agree with the last comment Google's free tool works for me and some of the details in the last reply really give a very clear hands on demonstration for how to get the most from it

tobyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 08:46 PM   #8
MaxwellSmart

No keyword tool is going to be accurate. Most are based on a small sample of search traffic. And the results of that traffic are extrapolated out to "estimate" the amount of search volume.

Even very expensive keyword tools like Hitwise, Comscore, etc. are based on a tiny sample of web traffic (typically less than 1%). So Hitwise for instance might contract w/ Time Warner, Comcast and a few other ISPs to be able to watch all of their traffic and observe what people are searching for. If they know they are sampling, for example, approximately 1% of web traffic, then they can count how many times people search for each phrase and multiply by 100 to extrapolate it out to an "estimate".

Google, having roughly 60-70% of all search traffic, likely has the best estimates. I use lots of tools but ultimately my final round of reseach is done with Google's Adwords Keyword Tool. There are two versions - one shown from within Adwords if you have an account... another for users who don't have an Adwords account.

I wouldn't "just" use a keyword tool if your site has any organic traffic or if you have PPC campaigns going. Use your web analytics to see which keyword phrases are sending you traffic organically and/or via PPC. Pay special attention to conversion rates...

Keyword with high search volume are not necessarily going to convert well AND they are typically VERY competitive.

MaxwellSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 12:44 PM   #9
vlb2123

SEOMoz has a great tool but I don't know if its a pay or free. The best I have found is the Google keyword tool. Another option is to go to your competitors websites & look at their meta keywords

vlb2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 05:15 PM   #10
innermountain

I think SeoMoz's tool is a pay-for service

innermountain is offline   Reply With Quote