Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st September 2007, 12:46 AM   #1
RaptorRex

Default How To Promote A Single Product Site VS Large Portals

(I know there is a similar thread to this right now but I think I deviate from that thread's focus enough to justify a new thread)

I was going to start a thread today to talk about my problem and why I am using directories. I really need help and opinion on this though. So please, opine.

I have a game that I wrote myself. It is a card game like no other out there. It is called "52 Pickup". It is based on the old joke but it is an actual strategic game and people like it. No other computer card game has this name but many other products do: books, movies, artists etc.

My problem is that it is a "card game" and a "casual game". Those are my keyword phrases. Keywording on "52 Pickup" is useless because nobody (yet) is looking for a computer card game with that name.

"card game" and "casual game" are a huge industry. My single 2 page website advertising a single game download will never ever in a million years crack Google's top pages without trickery. This is because the sites correctly keyed by those phrases are portals and directories dedicated to games. And rightly so, those most accurately reflect what those phrases say and they have an abundance of content.

My recourse, therefore, are directories. Hopefully I find the good ones that send lots of traffic. And yesterday I lucked out and got a good listing on one and had the most downloads yet.

My argument is that I have no choice but to use directories since a decent google ranking is hopeless. 2ndly, and I wrote about this in a nearby (but largely ignored) thread, I believe there is such a thing as a inbound link long tail. Where the cummulative traffic from many directories (and link exchanges etc) will eventually catch up to what google can get you if you aren't right at the top of their list.

What do you all think?
How does a single product compete for a google ranking when portals dedicated to that type of product dominate?

Old 21st September 2007, 09:37 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

I don't understand why you think a google ranking is hopeless. While I agree with your assessment when it comes to "card games" ... why not target longtail keyword phrases? An example would be "free card game downloads".

At the same time, I do think it is very important to promote your site with non-google tactics. My approach would be to target both google and non google tactics to promote your site.

For others interested, here is the other thread mentioned -
http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...ad.php?t=14095

Old 21st September 2007, 10:41 AM   #3
RaptorRex

Actually I'm writing a full article now about the long tail. It'll be done this weekend. However I do stand by my assessment that a first page Google listing is hopeless in this case and many others. Although I do have quality content perfectly on target for the subject, the quantity is too low volume compared to what other large sites are providing.

I found the exact same problem with Google Base as well. I would love for someone to tell me an honest method to come up with a high rank with such relatively low content volume (but high quality).

I'm definitely going long tail in marketing this game and I think Google will catch up with me rather than me chasing Google off the start.

Old 22nd September 2007, 08:57 AM   #4
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Using the idea that no one (or no website) can be all things to all people you could think about focusing on 'elements' to optimize and rank well for instead of verbiage/content.

Add video and images, podcasts and downloads (etc) then optimize for those elements. The second most used search vehicle on google is images.

Also, since you mentioned using directories, each of these elements has a slew of directories, for example there's podcastdirectory.com and podcast.net, RSS feeds have their own directories, downloads, video... just about everything does.

Also, portals dedicated to a topic advertise somewhere, I'd thoroughly research where your competitors advertise and run an ad campaign pointing to your site and highlighting an option/favor/benefit you have and they don't. Once they're there you need a way to capture their info so you can write back and ask for the link.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 09:04 AM   #5
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Oh - forgot to add:

Since there are others out there established and using the name 52 pickup, you might want to contact them and suggest some sort of product placement promotion using your game.

Product placement works online just like it does off. If you've ever watched a TV show and noticed people drinking Bud Lite it's because someone at Anheuser-Busch paid for that placement.

Think about how you can fit your game into the established sites already optimized for 52 pickup.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote