Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th September 2010, 05:57 AM   #1
PTF

Default AdWords Conversion Tracking

Hi All,

I have a client with 2 websites. The first is a "free hints and tips" site, and the second is an e-commerce site from where he sells products.

I have an AdWords campaign set up to drive people to the hints site. On each page there, is a link to the e-commerce site.

If I paste AdWords conversion tracking at the end of the checkout process on the e-commerce site, is it "smart" enough to follow a visitor from the ad, to the hints site, then on through the e-commerce site? Or does the jump from one site to the other break the "chain"?

Naturally I'll be setting up another campaign to drive traffic straight to the e-commerce site... just wondered if we can track how many people click an add, read some tips, then click the link through and make a purchase?

Many thanks

Pete

Old 26th September 2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Social-Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTF View Post
Hi All,

I have a client with 2 websites. The first is a "free hints and tips" site, and the second is an e-commerce site from where he sells products.

I have an AdWords campaign set up to drive people to the hints site. On each page there, is a link to the e-commerce site.

If I paste AdWords conversion tracking at the end of the checkout process on the e-commerce site, is it "smart" enough to follow a visitor from the ad, to the hints site, then on through the e-commerce site? Or does the jump from one site to the other break the "chain"?

Naturally I'll be setting up another campaign to drive traffic straight to the e-commerce site... just wondered if we can track how many people click an add, read some tips, then click the link through and make a purchase?

Many thanks

Pete
Yes it's smart enough. You'll generate the conversion tracking code using the "hints and tips" Adwords account. The code that is generated is tied to your "hints and tips" site.

If you place that code HTML on the conversion page(s) of the ecommerce site when the consumer's referring URL was the "hints and tips" site then Google will know its a "hints and tips" conversion. They have to be able to handle this because many web sites link over to 3rd party sites for customer checkout.

Here's a link that confirms it: http://adwords.google.com/support/aw...&answer=106310

PS: The reason I said show the conversion tracking code in the ecommerce conversion page HTML if the referring URL was the "hints and tips" site is so that those same pages can be used to track conversions for the ecommerce site when the consumer did NOT come from the "hints and tips" site.

This is not necessary though if you have a set of conversion pages on the ecommerce site that are ONLY used by the "hints and tips" site and a separate set of conversion pages that are ONLY used by the ecommerce site. If this is the case then you can just hardcode the "hints and tips" conversion tracking code in the "hints and tips" dedicated conversion pages on the ecommerce site. And hardcode the ecommerce site's conversion tracking code in the dedicated ecommerce site's conversion pages.